Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about the wording of a last will

Options
  • 18-07-2014 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,
    Two quick questions about the wording of this will.

Firstly here is some text from a portion of the will:

"I give devise and bequeath unto my trustees all the rest residue and remainder of my real and personal estate whatsoever and wherever situate (including any entailed property of which I have power to dispose of by Will) UPON TRUST to convert into money all such parts thereof as shall not be money and to divide the net proceeds of such conversion and all ready money (hereinafter called "the Residue") on the following trusts:-

(a) one quarter of the Residue for the Beneficiaries hereinafter defined in such shares and in such manner and in all respects as my Trustees (and subject to such terms, limitations and provisions) shall from time to time by deed or deeds revocable or irrevocable executed before the vesting day but without infringing the rule against perpetuities appoint but notwithstanding the foregoing my Trustees shall have the power if they think fit to so do at any time before the Vesting day by any irrevocable deed to renounce absolutely the power of appointment given them by this clause. "The Beneficiaries" shall mean my son X and his two children X and X.

(b) to divide the rest and remainder of the Residue among my children X, X, and X in equal shares for their own use and benefit absolutely."

My first question is what is the difference between part (a) and part (b) of this request?
    Are there extra rules regarding the money left to beneficiaries in part (a)? If so what are they?

Secondly here is another section of text from the will:

"I give devise and bequeath unto my Trustees the sum of €15,000 for each of my grandchildren alive or en ventre sa mere at the date of my death TO HOLD the same in trust for each of my grandchildren and to give same to each of my grandchildren as and when each child shall attain the age of 22 years."

My second question is whether there is one sum of €15,000 divided between all grandchildren or if each grandchild will receive €15,000 each.

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to read and answer my questions.

Advertisement