Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A oddly large number of flies in Kimmage

Options
  • 18-07-2014 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭

So I just turned on to Kimmage road/Larkfield Avenue and it is swarming with flies. An oddly large amount. More than I've ever seen in one place.

I tried to take a shot of them in the air but my camera wasn't good enough so I just took a pic of them on the wall next to me. (Attached)

They were all over the ground, bus stop, walls, air, plants. It was pretty disgusting.

Anyone else experience this?

Any ideas what the cause is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Same I'm parlmerstown but they don't look like normal flies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

That junction always has loads of flying ants on Flying Ant Day. Are you sure they're flies and not flying ants?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Flying ants?

Can't see the pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Thems are posh flies dont ya know.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

It was similar in Inchicore last weekend, there were loads in my garden and at another couple of points on my way down to the Spar, and 10 minutes later when I was on my way back they had all gone...

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The bastards had me haunted in the at work in the KCR estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Now that you mention it yes they looked like flying ants.

That'll be the flying ants then.

BeerNut wrote: »
    That'll be the flying ants then.

This is new to me. Are they a normal occurrence or during a specific time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

KonFusion wrote: »
    This is new to me. Are they a normal occurrence or during a specific time of year.

Normal this time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tonyka

Definitely ant hatchlings...they wait for the right temp and humidity and then fly off to make a new colony in your back garden. .lol...

It's the ant equivalent of Paddy's Day in Temple Bar.

Usually a day like this. Have a look at the Wikipedia link above. I honestly thought I invented the term "Flying Ant Day" just now :o

Speedsie wrote: »
    Normal this time of year!

Well I'll be an ignorant son of a....

Never noticed before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I never noticed this before either but went for a cycle earlier and the feckless were everywhere. At first I saw people on the path flapping about and was thinking what the hell are the doin but yeah then the whole way down the road they attacked. Big enough yolks too. Couple of them clung on to me as I cycled had to bat them off.

Anyway glad I found this thread as I thought I was loosin it earlier. Didn't know what they were tbh.

I'm in Dublin 15 btw just if we're mentioning areas

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Strange, I was driving down fonthill road and coldcut road at 8:30 and noticed a load of flys hitting off the windscreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Drimnagh was invaded by them this evening just as the sun was going down !! I saw hundreds of them swarming on a shore on a foot path near my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

After the electric fest storm overnight. Get sucked in behind

Insects in general have been loving this weather...await the ladybirds !!! ...to munch them up

• Advertisement

Left a light on and a window open one night,got up for a slash around three to what appeared all the world like the Amazon jungle.Even had butterflies for crying out loud

It's the time of year !! but insects are particularly well able this year

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Relations in Midlands call them pismires - an old word for ants, apparently.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Esel wrote: »
    Relations in Midlands call them pismires - an old word for ants, apparently.

My mother called them that too!

Advertisement