Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with a found medal..

Options
  • 18-07-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi everyone, it's my first time posting in the military forum so apologies if this is in the wrong thread/section!

So basically, I was out doing a bit of work on the farm last week, picking up stones that had been dug up from recent digging when I noticed something glaring in the corner of my eye.. I went over assuming it was just a piece of glass cursing my ancestors when I saw it was something round and silver sticking out of the ground.. I thought it was a coin from 1918 but when I cleaned the dirt off it and saw the 1914 inscribed I realised that it must be a medal.. I'm flabbergasted how it ended up here in rural Roscommon! I did a bit of research into it and it turns out that its a silver GEORGIVS V BRITT : OMN : REX ET IND : IMP medal. (Not sure how to upload an image and I'm not allowed post links as a new user but its the one on the 'British War Medal' wikipedia page)

Apparently the medal was awarded to an E.Follows, a gunner. It gives a number on the side of the medal but I'm not sure what that refers to. How could I find out more about this man and possibly how the medal ended up in Roscommon? (it wasn't someone local as far as I'm aware). Any help in pointing me in the right way would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

number 175235?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ths is the only E. Follows on the Commonwealth Wargraves site:
    http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/65228/FOLLOWS,%20E

Is that service number the same as the one on the medal?
    I can't see any Irish connections with him, but you never know.
    It may also be a different E. Follows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It's a British War Medal - nice find!!

EDIT: Apologies - just re-read your post and saw that you'd identified it.

Given you're in Roscommon, you could try the Connaught Rangers Association in Boyle (King House) - chances are they won't have any information on a gunner, but they will know where to find it.

British War Medal 1914-1920
    This medal was approved by King George V in 1919 to commemorate the services rendered by His Majesty's Forces and to record the bringing of the war to a successful conclusion. Eligibility for the award was later extended to cover the years 1919-1920, while post-war mine clearance at sea continued, as did service in North and South Russia, the Eastern Baltic, Siberia, Black Sea and Caspian Sea.

Description
    The medal, which is silver, hangs from its ribbon by a straight suspender bar without swivel. The obverse bears the coinage effigy of His Majesty the King with the legend GEORGIVS V:BRITT: OMN:REX ET IND:IMP:. The reverse depicts a male figure mounted on horseback, trampling underfoot the eagle shield of the Central Powers and the emblems of death, a skull and cross-bones. Above is the risen sun of victory. The male figure was chosen because men had borne the brunt of the fighting.

The design symbolised the mechanical and scientific advances which helped to win the war. The silk ribbon has a central vertical stripe of gold with stripes of white and black at each side and borders of royal blue. It is not thought that the colours have any particular significance. The medal was designed was W McMillan, and struck by the Royal Mint. The recipient's name, rank, service number and unit are stamped on the bottom edge of the medal. Those awarded to Army officers, with the exception of the Royal Artillery, omit the name of the regiment or corps.
    The medal was issued to the following classes who either entered a theatre of war on duty, or who left places of residence and rendered approved service overseas, other than the waters dividing the different parts of the United Kingdom, between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918 inclusive. The next-of-kin of those killed on active service received the medal whether or not the casualty completed the requisite period of service.
    • Officers, warrant officers, attested NCO's and men of British, Dominion, Colonial and Indian military forces.
    • Members of women's formations who had been enrolled under a direct contract for service with His Majesty's Imperial forces.
    • All those who served on the staff of military hospitals and all members of recognised organisations, for example the British Red Cross and the Order of St John, who actually tended the sick and wounded.
    • Members of duly recognised or authorised organisations.
    • Enrolled and attested followers on the establishment of units of the Indian Army

Possibly not a local lad - the name 'Follows' doesn't show up in the 1911 or 1901 census anywhere in Ireland in 1901 or 1911 census.

There are over 1,000 hits on the UK - and it seems to be a popular name around the West Midlands there.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therambler

number 175235?

Yes that's the number

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Ths is the only E. Follows on the Commonwealth Wargraves site:

Is that service number the same as the one on the medal?
    I can't see any Irish connections with him, but you never know.
    It may also be a different E. Follows.

No it's a different number. Also it says "GNR. E. FOLLOWS. RA" and I looked it up and it means that he was a Gunner in the Royal Artillery so it's definitely a different fella :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

number 175235?

How did you know his number johnny?

Jawgap wrote: »

Given you're in Roscommon, you could try the Connaught Rangers Association in Boyle (King House) - chances are they won't have any information on a gunner, but they will know where to find it.

/QUOTE]

That sounds like a good place to start :) I sent them an email just there to see if they would be willing and/or able to help so fingers crossed!

Jawgap wrote: »
    Possibly not a local lad - the name 'Follows' doesn't show up in the 1911 or 1901 census anywhere in Ireland in 1901 or 1911 census.

There are over 1,000 hits on the UK - and it seems to be a popular name around the West Midlands there.

Ive asked the older people around and they never heard of him either! Would it be possible that this man was a Black and Tan???

therambler wrote: »
    Ive asked the older people around and they never heard of him either! Would it be possible that this man was a Black and Tan???

It's possible, but you'd have to wonder why he'd have his medal with him.

There's a medal card Edward Follows - I presume that's where Johnny got the number

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D3513166

His draft, enlistment and service records are available on ancestry.co.uk - sorry, but my membership has expired so I don't have ready access

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=39&rank=1&new=1&so=3&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=ms_f-39&gsfn=Edward&gsln=Follows&sbo=0&uidh=000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

How did you know his number johnny?

searched the Military Records section on Ancestry.co.uk and then the Medal Rolls with Follows as the surname and artillery as the keyword.

Edward Follows popped up as a Gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery with the number I quoted.

Awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

His number looks like part of a 1917 batch and most likely conscripted rather than a volunteer.

There are only a small number of Edward Follows in the UK. Those born in the period 1883 to 1899 all seem to have a family tree but nothing showing military service

No Follows in the RIC register so unlikely he was a B&T.

Advertisement