Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help identifying cervelo model

• 18-07-2014 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭

Hi I am buying this bike next week and I would like to know what model it is just so I can google it and check out the reviews etc. it was recommended to me by a friend and the price is right so I put my name on it without even knowing the model.

If it helps it's about 5 years old and apparently the frame was €2.5k when new.

I know the pic isn't great sorry, it's all I have.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Forgot to mention it's an aluminium frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Inquitus wrote: »
    that looks like the one alright thanks. Wheels are different the ones on this are zipp but I guess that's something people upgrade.

Thanks for the quick reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Cervelo team soloist aluminium,I have the limited edition in red, good bike but not the most comfortable.

How much you paying for it?

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Cervelo team soloist aluminium,I have the limited edition in red, good bike but not the most comfortable.

How much you paying for it?

€600 as it is in the picture. I'm told it's a good price what do you think?

• Advertisement

Another quick question! It has shimano spd pedals and I'm going to need shoes to suit where's the best place to get them locally? I'd rather keep the business in the country if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

iamtony wrote: »
    Another quick question! It has shimano spd pedals and I'm going to need shoes to suit where's the best place to get them locally? I'd rather keep the business in the country if possible.

Local to where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

It has shimano spd pedals

They look like Shimano SPD-SL pedals btw, rather than SPD. They're different and need different shoes/cleats.

Lumen wrote: »
    Local to where?

Sorry dublin.

dakar wrote: »
    They look like Shimano SPD-SL pedals btw, rather than SPD. They're different and need different shoes/cleats.
    Ok thanks I didn't realise there was a difference.

Do you know if they are compatable with any of the mtb shoes that you can walk in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Ok thanks I didn't realise there was a difference.

Do you know if they are compatable with any of the mtb shoes that you can walk in?

They are not. The cleat would not attach to the shoe.

Raam wrote: »
    They are not. The cleat would not attach to the shoe.
    thanks, will I have to buy a pair of cleats or do they come with the shoe?

Sorry for all the questions it will be my first road bike(if you haven't already guessed)!

thanks, will I have to buy a pair of cleats or do they come with the shoe?

Sorry for all the questions it will be my first road bike(if you haven't already guessed)!

No probs.
    Cleats usually come with the pedals because they are a direct match to each other. You would rarely get cleats with the shoes since most shoes can accept many different types of cleats, although not always.

For you, pick a pair of road shoes. They will all accept the SPD-SL cleats. Then buy your SPD-SL cleats and off you go on your cycle.

No probs.
    Cleats usually come with the pedals because they are a direct match to each other. You would rarely get cleats with the shoes since most shoes can accept many different types of cleats, although not always.

For you, pick a pair of road shoes. They will all accept the SPD-SL cleats. Then buy your SPD-SL cleats and off you go on your cycle.
    Ok, I'm with you, thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

€600 as it is in the picture. I'm told it's a good price what do you think?

Seems fair enough to me if its in good nick. Happy cycling my friend

Picked up my bike today thanks for the help it is indeed the team soloist can't cycle it yet as I've no shoes but another issue I'm having is putting air in the tyres!

I have a lidl track pump but I can't get it onto the valve, nothing to do with the pump just the valve is only sticking out of the rim about 10mm and the pump hits the rim but it's not on enough to clamp or seal. I went to halfords to see could I get an adapter but they didn't sell them so does anyone know where I can get an adapter to fit Zipp 404 wheels? I live north side so somewhere close so I can get out for a spin tomorrow. Thanks.

You could buy tubes with longer valves. Failing that, where in DNS are you? I could lend you a couple of extensions if you are close to me.

You could buy tubes with longer valves. Failing that, where in DNS are you? I could lend you a couple of extensions if you are close to me.
    Yeah but it seems a bit excessive to buy tubes and go through the hassle of changing them for the sake of an adapter if that's all that's needed?
    I'm in Clonshaugh D17 thanks for the offer if I can't get my hands on them I may have to take you up on that but I would need to buy some anyway. Do you know anywhere that sells them?

Yeah but it seems a bit excessive to buy tubes and go through the hassle of changing them for the sake of an adapter if that's all that's needed?
    I'm in Clonshaugh D17 thanks for the offer if I can't get my hands on them I may have to take you up on that but I would need to buy some anyway. Do you know anywhere that sells them?

Any decent bike shop would have them. Humphries in Finglas sells em for sure.

Any decent bike shop would have them. Humphries in Finglas sells em for sure.

Perfect thank you again you've been great help!

• Advertisement

One other quick one is it normal for the left brake to control the front and right for the rear? It's been the opposite on any bike I've ever used before which were all low end mtb or hybrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Perfect thank you again you've been great help!

You got that bike with Zipp 404 wheels for 600 euro? Nice going! Best of luck with it.

One other quick one is it normal for the left brake to control the front and right for the rear? It's been the opposite on any bike I've ever used before which were all low end mtb or hybrid.

On the continent it tends to be left lever control the front. Easy to switch it if you want.

logik wrote: »
    You got that bike with Zipp 404 wheels for 600 euro? Nice going! Best of luck with it.

Yeah I was told it was good value alright thanks. It could probably do with a good service and new handlebar tape and stuff like that but I bought it sold as seen and the guy said if he was to clean it up he would want a grand for it at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Where did you get the bike out of curiosity? I'd have thought the wheels would have been worth €600 alone.

On the continent it tends to be left lever control the front. Easy to switch it if you want.
    great thanks I'll see how I get on the way it is first but good to know you can swap it handy enough.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Where did you get the bike out of curiosity? I'd have thought the wheels would have been worth €600 alone.
    It was a traded in bike in Hollingsworth cycles in stillorgan. A friend of mine is a good customer their and he was looking out for a bike for me and that's what he came up with.

Correct, the 404 wheels are about 450-500 sterling.

You could buy new bar tape and new cables all round for the gears and brakes, clean up the chain, and cassette and lube it all up. One hell of a bike for 600 euro. Any clicking from the bottom bracket?

Also, what groupset is on it?

It was a traded in bike in Hollingsworth cycles in stillorgan. A friend of mine is a good customer their and he was looking out for a bike for me and that's what he came up with.

Cracking deal you got there. Well wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

also, if you already have mtb type shoes you can swap the pedals for a set of these -http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m520-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod3759 and use your current shoes

logik wrote: »
    Correct, the 404 wheels are about 450-500 sterling.

You could buy new bar tape and new cables all round for the gears and brakes, clean up the chain, and cassette and lube it all up. One hell of a bike for 600 euro. Any clicking from the bottom bracket?

Also, what groupset is on it?
    its an ultegra groupset well the gears are anyway the brakes have a "é" on them so I don't know what they are.

There is a clicking noise when I wheeled it is that from the bottom bracket? Is that bad news?

oinkely wrote: »
    also, if you already have mtb type shoes you can swap the pedals for a set of these -http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m520-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod3759 and use your current shoes
    thanks I've no shoes at the moment so I'm going to go for a set of road shoes.

its an ultegra groupset well the gears are anyway the brakes have a "é" on them so I don't know what they are.

There is a clicking noise when I wheeled it is that from the bottom bracket? Is that bad news?

That's normal it's coming from the rear hub.

Ultegra aswell I'm unfollowing now you're making me jealous ;)

No, not necessarily, Ultegra... very nice, that is a steal of a bike. Enjoy it (damn you) :D

That's normal it's coming from the rear hub.

Ultegra aswell I'm unfollowing now you're making me jealous ;)
    Yes it's sound like most bikes do when freewheeling although a little more noticeable.
    Ha ha I'm feeling quite smug now seems like I did well! Definitely a step up from my €150 mtb.
    I can't wait to compare the strava times for the two bikes it seems to be hard to get any solid info on how much quicker I should be going regarding road bike vrs MTB. Lots of estimates on the web but nothing scientific. I'll post my findings when I get out on the road.

• Advertisement

You'll go quicker alright but the question will be Is that quick enough before you try pick up a bargain carbon frame :)

You'll go quicker alright but the question will be Is that quick enough before you try pick up a bargain carbon frame :)

Not for a while yet! I was told a good Alu frame is better than a cheap Carbon one so for the moment I'm happy maybe this time next year I might be shopping again...it's already hard enough explain this bike to the other half over the mtb!

Ok I got myself an adapter which converts the presta valve to scraider valve but isn't an extension, it's all I could find in the shop I went into. Anyway I can get it onto the tyre valve but with this installed I still can't get air into the tyre. I'm guessing the reason is because with the adapter installed the pump can't push down the valve core when I turn the handle.
    I though the force of the pump would overcome the valve but apparently not. Am I missing something?

Before you put on the adaptor, press the valve down yourself to let some air escape.

Before you put on the adaptor, press the valve down yourself to let some air escape.
    I'll give it a go thanks.

• Advertisement

Is it just an extension you got (a hollow piece of pipe)? Have you got a pic/link of what you bought.

Have you got the screw on top of the valve open before you screw on the adaptor?

If it's just the extension piece you leave this screw open all the time so you can inflate the tyre.

I think the bike might be a bit of a dog and you might be better off selling it, I might take it off your hands ;) haha

Is it just an extension you got (a hollow piece of pipe)? Have you got a pic/link of what you bought.

Have you got the screw on top of the valve open before you screw on the adaptor?

If it's just the extension piece you leave this screw open all the time so you can inflate the tyre.

I think the bike might be a bit of a dog and you might be better off selling it, I might take it off your hands ;) haha
    I'll keep my dog for now thanks:-)

Got the air in!

What I bought was a adapter from race type to mtb or car type it is only a small brass piece.

I got it to work in the end by tightening the adapter with a pliers then it sealed properly and worked.

Still haven't got a chance to go for a spin I'm afraid to do anything till I have a set of tools to change the tube if needed as I haven't gained any trust in the tyres yet. They are maxxis dominators or something like that on it are they any use does anyone know? In terms of puncture resistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Chr1st Almighty. If you got a nice set of 404's on their own with a cassette for 600 quid you'd have done well for yourself. The fact that there's a bike attached to them, and not just any bike, but a Cervelo Soloist.

Fack me, you did well Rodney moi sahn. :eek:

Post up a decent pic for Jaysus sake and make us all properly sick. That's a beautiful bike you got for yourself there.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Chr1st Almighty. If you got a nice set of 404's on their own with a cassette for 600 quid you'd have done well for yourself. The fact that there's a bike attached to them, and not just any bike, but a Cervelo Soloist.

Fack me, you did well Rodney moi sahn. :eek:

Post up a decent pic for Jaysus sake and make us all properly sick. That's a beautiful bike you got for yourself there.
    ha ha thanks. She's all tucked in for the night so I'll try get a few pics tomorrow and stick them up.

ha ha thanks. She's all tucked in for the night so I'll try get a few pics tomorrow and stick them up.

Do please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Yeah I was told it was good value alright thanks. It could probably do with a good service and new handlebar tape and stuff like that but I bought it sold as seen and the guy said if he was to clean it up he would want a grand for it at least.

This guy have any more dirty bikes for sale?

This guy have any more dirty bikes for sale?
    Didn't seem to although I didn't ask!

Took her out for a spin this morning without proper shoes or a tool kit and all went well thank god.

Got a personal record on almost all strava segments, and got into 482nd place on the sutton X to Sutton X section which for an 83kg smoker isn't to bad(note to self give up smoking and loose 10kg) noting my previous best had me at about 1200th

I think the bike needs to be set up for me a bit better as I had a bit or a sore back towards the end and my ass was killing me. Or maybe I need to just get used to it.

All in all it was a great experience and it wasn't half as bumpy as I was expecting it to be compared to my front suspension MTB. It's great how it just glides along with just a satisfying whisper coming from the tyres.

I hadn't cycled in nearly 3 weeks and had a fair share of beer last night so I'm sure when I'm fresh and get the shoes(today hopefully) I'll get quicker and quicker. It was a great surprise when I looked at the strave to see 30 personal records even though I thought I wasn't going much faster. Although looking at the lines on the road whizz by under my feet gave me a clue but it was just so effortless.

Climbing howth made me feel like I was cheating it was that easy.

Anyway here are the pics as promised and my strava report.

https://www.strava.com/activities/173372936

Hi lads, I'm all settled in with the bike now, maybe you've seen me around Howth direction?
    Anyway I'm just looking for a bit of help on a rattle on the bike.
    I think it's coming from the rear derailleur but can't be certain. Basically it's a pretty noticeable rattle that occures only in the smaller half of the rear cogs and on bumpy ground. when I shift up to the bigger cogs it goes away or when I'm on smooth ground.
    And this is when I'm on the big cog at the front I didn't check it out in the granny ring.
    The noise wasn't there when I got the bike but after cleaning the chain and cleaning the crap out from the cogs it started happening.
    Just looking to see if anyone has experienced this and is a new derailleur required or maybe a new spring in it or something? There doesn't seem to be anything physically loose or anything.
    My best guess would be the spring has lost it's tension and when it's not stretched it allows the detaileur to bounce around or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Have you checked the cassette? Could be loose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement