Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I blown my controller

Options
  • 18-07-2014 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Just given up trying to get 12V back to my camper for this evening. I was after installing a new TV but couldn't get it to work off the leisure battery. Checked the leisure battery voltage and it was only 11.5v. Decided to turn on the engine to bring it up to 13.5v and then check the TV. Unfortunately I forgot that I had the van also charging off the mains hookup.
    Two issues come to mind and they are:

I seem to have a leisure battery problem as it was not charging off the mains hookup before I started the engine and also it was not charging off the alternator when I turned on the engine.

The second issue is that I somehow remembered that you should not have the engine running when hooked up to mains. I now don't have any power at my control panel so no lights, water pump etc. Anyone know if I have cooked my controller? It's a 1995 Burstner A532 with an Panel 280 Panel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

tSeacha wrote: »
    Just given up trying to get 12V back to my camper for this evening. I was after installing a new TV but couldn't get it to work off the leisure battery. Checked the leisure battery voltage and it was only 11.5v. Decided to turn on the engine to bring it up to 13.5v and then check the TV. Unfortunately I forgot that I had the van also charging off the mains hookup.
    Two issues come to mind and they are:

I seem to have a leisure battery problem as it was not charging off the mains hookup before I started the engine and also it was not charging off the alternator when I turned on the engine.

The second issue is that I somehow remembered that you should not have the engine running when hooked up to mains. I now don't have any power at my control panel so no lights, water pump etc. Anyone know if I have cooked my controller? It's a 1995 Burstner A532 with an Panel 280 Panel.

Did you check all fuses? I also have a fuse under the bonnet for the leisure battery charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tSeacha

*Kol* wrote: »
    Did you check all fuses? I also have a fuse under the bonnet for the leisure battery charger.

All fuses checked but found that the leisure battery fuse contacts were slightly corroded which led to a voltage drop before the battery. Fuse changed and everything is fine at the moment.

it was only 11.5v.
    :eek:

Too low. 12.2v should be your cut-off if you want your battery to last.
    bring it up to 13.5v
    Too low. Check your battery datasheet for absorption termination voltage this should be at least 14.1v on a 12v system.

It's a bad idea using a mains charger at the same time as the alternator. In theory they ought to find a happy medium and not fight too much, so not fatal but not recommended.

Advertisement