Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Could citrus be stored just on the ground then?

In a secure building, yes
    Lovely smelling stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

ganmo wrote: »
    In a secure building, yes
    Lovely smelling stuff

How much a tonne?
    Can it be got in glanbia?
    I would collect it in meal bin and then store it on the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

How much a tonne?
    Can it be got in glanbia?
    I would collect it in meal bin and then store it on the ground
    I found this site earlier in the week http://straightsdirect.co.uk/update.html but its not quoting for citrus pulp :(

Most mills would have some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Anyone thinking of buying cheap slips of heifers for the bull to sell on again on the point of calving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Muckit wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of buying cheap slips of heifers for the bull to sell on again on the point of calving?

Someone here does that/did it last year anyway....I remember reading it very recently. Might have been Bodacious I think,.

Well would suit lads if they had a bull. Even factory fit over 30 mths making just €1000. A lad could afford to bull them and let them live off their back for the winter then flog on in spring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

anyone else get their icbf reports,or profit monitors back,anyone interested in comparing , just had our meeting here,was told that the cows were too big and calves too small,2 gents said they would keep 3 cows where i had 2,asked both what there stocking density was, both a lot lower,told my weanlings need to be heaver ,yet i still had the higher priced sold weanlings, teag man walked off as he could not answer why did i want heaver weanlings,as i see lads in the group selling bigger and heaver cattle but still getting fook all for them.and as the final insult was told you cant go by those numbers in the profit monitor,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Charliebull

leg wax wrote: »
    anyone else get their icbf reports,or profit monitors back,anyone interested in comparing , just had our meeting here,was told that the cows were too big and calves too small,2 gents said they would keep 3 cows where i had 2,asked both what there stocking density was, both a lot lower,told my weanlings need to be heaver ,yet i still had the higher priced sold weanlings, teag man walked off as he could not answer why did i want heaver weanlings,as i see lads in the group selling bigger and heaver cattle but still getting fook all for them.and as the final insult was told you cant go by those numbers in the profit monitor,

seen the ICBF report in last nights post, did not look at it yet, it wont make pleasant reading is all i know

id say that sounds like a fun meeting,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Ya didn't frighten poor oul tom off did ya. That's the second time I've heard of them discounting figures they'd normally swear by when they didn't like a system that was delivering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

Some figures to look at:

What is the average weight of your cows?

Are you weaning at 50% of cow's body weight?

What is the average weight of weanlings sold?

When you say you higher price for your weanlings, are you talking about €/kg?

Remember not to take any comments personally from BTAP meetings.

• Advertisement

Ya didn't frighten poor oul tom off did ya. That's the second time I've heard of them discounting figures they'd normally swear by when they didn't like a system that was delivering.

ive always said it ye waterford boys are hard pleased

LivInt20 wrote: »
    Some figures to look at:

ive never heard of this before, what is the thinking behind that

Muckit wrote: »
    Well would suit lads if they had a bull. Even factory fit over 30 mths making just €1000. A lad could afford to bull them and let them live off their back for the winter then flog on in spring

Would you not get an overage heifer in to €1200, even at a price of €3.60

ive never heard of this before, what is the thinking behind that

The idea is to have more efficient cows.

For example, a 600 kgs cow should be able to produce a calf weighing 300 kgs calf at weaning.

A 800 kgs cow producing a calf at 300 kgs is less efficient/productive as it is costing more to keep her.

I think it is used in the North or Scotland. This is where the idea of keeping smaller more efficient cows comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

For example, a 600 kgs cow should be able to produce a calf weighing 300 kgs calf at weaning.

A 800 kgs cow producing a calf at 300 kgs is less efficient/productive as it is costing more to keep her.

I think it is used in the North or Scotland. This is where the idea of keeping smaller more efficient cows comes from.

I always thought the figure was 70% of her weight? Is 300kg really a hard target to reach? Surely we should aim higher?

makes sense when you see it like that, what happens if the heavier cow is producing a heavier weanling say close to the 50% mark, would the same logic apply, i suppose it all down to what price they achieve,

Damo810 wrote: »
    I always thought the figure was 70% of her weight? Is 300kg really a hard target to reach? Surely we should aim higher?

suppose that depends on a lot of factors damo, a march born calf weaned in late september and only on a grass diet is a damn good calf, yes with meal you will drive the calf but at what cost

Damo810 wrote: »

Think 70 could be a bit high.

eg a 800 kgs cow would be expected to wean a 560 kgs calf.

I talking about at weaning time of about nine months.

300 kgs not a hard target at all, at nine months, but you should be getting above this.

If below the 50%, the cow is not performing.

makes sense when you see it like that, what happens if the heavier cow is producing a heavier weanling say close to the 50% mark, would the same logic apply, i suppose it all down to what price they achieve,

The target is 50%. If a heavier cow is producing 50% or above then she is hitting the target.

Still other factors to consider though, like land type.

• Advertisement

Think 70 could be a bit high.

eg a 800 kgs cow would be expected to wean a 560 kgs calf.

I talking about at weaning time of about nine months.

300 kgs not a hard target at all, at nine months, but you should be getting above this.

If below the 50%, the cow is not performing.

so is the rule of thumb pro rata for earlier weaning

say

9 months= min 50%

8 months = 45%

or can it only be judged on a 9 month weanling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

The target is 50%. If a heavier cow is producing 50% or above then she is hitting the target.

Still other factors to consider though, like land type.

The other factors could be massive. Are they getting nuts or creep grazing ahead of the cows. I have a mixed herd of sucklers, some aax, simx and lim. The calves off aax will outperform all at weaning as they have better milk available to them. Put them in the shed over winter and see them melt. After 29 months breeding always wins out in my opinion.

lads in the group were selling cattle 100 kgs more than me, but were getting 200 euro less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Leg wax

What maternal sires are you using these days? Weren't you trying out Part bulls to get a bit more milk back in without sacrificing muscle?

Finally I've cows with 2 generations of AI and willing to relax a bit on calving difficulty. HCA has produced nice weanlings from first calvers so I'm looking forward to seeing what a more advanced bull will produce.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Some figures to look at:

NZ target is 60% of cow's weight, but it can be overdone, small first calver could be low bcs going into the winter after drying off, It's a good test of how efficient cows are though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The other factors could be massive. Are they getting nuts or creep grazing ahead of the cows. I have a mixed herd of sucklers, some aax, simx and lim. The calves off aax will outperform all at weaning as they have better milk available to them. Put them in the shed over winter and see them melt. After 29 months breeding always wins out in my opinion.

I think Tully found a huge difference(€150??) between cattle sired by a 5 star and a 1 star Terminal bull. 29 months is giving yours long enough to catch up anyway:P A lot of angus cattle would be slaughtered under 24 months.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

lads in the group were selling cattle 100 kgs more than me, but were getting 200 euro less.

Would I be right in saying that your calves went on the boat while theirs stayed in this country?

http://www.gpfeeds.co.uk/blends.htm

Just click on blends, add soya ben meal and either citrus or soyahulls. Hulls are going up in price but still 180/ton should get you some depending on how much you want you may need to collect. 75% barlet 20% hulls and 5% hipro soya will give you a 14% mix. 70/20/10 as above a 16.5% mix. I am including a lot of barley as you have it in hand. Tinker away with mixes and you will get a mix that suits you.It has to add to 1000kgs.

Do not put citrus into a bin by itself I think it can clog very easily especially if not a good draw off it. Soya bean meal is best option as a protein source. Even at 15% a ton in bags will go a long way and should be got for about 450 euro

Would beet pulp be a good source of protein?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Would beet pulp be a good source of protein?

Beet pulp is a fibre source from a sugar based product similar to sitrus pulp. Soya bean meal is about the only readily available Protein source. The other ones that are available but only in large quanties are distillers grains, rapeseed meal nut, and maize distillers. Also there are Hi protein molasses available but it si hassle handling

Beet pulp is a fibre source from a sugar based product similar to sitrus pulp. Soya bean meal is about the only readily available Protein source. The other ones that are available but only in large quanties are distillers grains, rapeseed meal nut, and maize distillers. Also there are Hi protein molasses available but it si hassle handling
    Ok so soya bean it will be. Are those bags 25 kg? There 11.70 each but I never looked at the weight?

Can't get citrus locally would hulls be ok instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

Hulls are better fibre source and cheaper this year.

Youd get away just soya and barley unless feeding a lot per head.

• Advertisement

mf240 wrote: »
    Hulls are better fibre source and cheaper this year.

Youd get away just soya and barley unless feeding a lot per head.

Would be handy just that way for me.
    Don't know yet how much I'll be feeding.
    What ratio with soya and barley?

Would be handy just that way for me.
    Don't know yet how much I'll be feeding.
    What ratio with soya and barley?

One part soya to nine parts barley is around 15/16 %

Thats four 25 kgs bags in each ton of mix. (900kg barley and 100kg soya.) A bag of minerals per ton would be no harm either.

tanko wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that your calves went on the boat while theirs stayed in this country?

i dont know where the other cattle went ,but they were sold for average of 2 euro a kg at heavy weights,i have sold 4 so far that stayed at home,and i still have 10 to sell of which 6 will stay at home unless they go to spain at 2 euro .

One part soya to nine parts barley is around 15/16 %

Thats four 25 kgs bags in each ton of mix. (900kg barley and 100kg soya.) A bag of minerals per ton would be no harm either.

What's the story with minerals glanbia sell them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

can anyone tell me what Copra is a source of, its nearest thing ive seen to black powder slag ,nasal spray and sinutabs required for month after, before loading,id close windows turn off air intake to cab close windows and doors and run out of store,with nose covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Whats the best feed to finish bullocks and hefiers off grass? Is rolled barley sufficient or would I be better off with a mix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Whats the best feed to finish bullocks and hefiers off grass? Is rolled barley sufficient or would I be better off with a mix?

Barley/soya hulls and maize meal mix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

mahoney_j wrote: »

Thanks. What sort of money could that be got for? Suppose depends on percentage of dearest ingredient.

mahoney_j wrote: »

I agree as above however you might get a very good price for a hulls/barley mix. So I price both. 1/3 hulls rest either barley or barley/maize mix.
    Thanks. What sort of money could that be got for? Suppose depends on percentage of dearest ingredient.

You should be able to get for around 200/ton or a bit with it. It depends on how much you are taking. If only taking a few tons consider collecting hulls, barley and maize sperate in half ton bags direct from mill.

I agree as above however you might get a very good price for a hulls/barley mix. So I price both. 1/3 hulls rest either barley or barley/maize mix.

You should be able to get for around 200/ton or a bit with it. It depends on how much you are taking. If only taking a few tons consider collecting hulls, barley and maize sperate in half ton bags direct from mill.

How much would you need to get a mix from them?

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »

3-4 ton.

3-4 ton.

Would that be alright in a dry shed rather than a meal bin? I suppose it would looking at pictures of grain stores in the journal

just do it wrote: »

Some mills will do a ton mix if you ring and collect it when its made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Some mills will do a ton mix if you ring and collect it when its made.

I get 700kg at a time in mine

I'm after buying 5 bags If soya bean to mix with my rolled barley.
    Still dunno what way I'm gonna mix it!

If you have only a few, buy bags of rolled barley. It's the best value energy feed when you factor everything in. You don't need anything else with good grass.

Even the way things are going, l'd question the viability of feeding at all. If they are not fit at this stage, mart them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

What way are FR bullocks going in the mart now?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Next to nothing in ballinasloe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

dharn wrote: »
    Next to nothing in ballinasloe

None in the mart or poor prices?

Advertisement