Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef General Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    No one ever does.

I suppose it'll depend on what happens with the factory price between here and then. There's only so much finishing men can take. It's bound to trickle down.

They have taken serious blows but seem happy to use their sfp to cushion this. Looking at weanling prices and store prices now looks like they are going to give it a bash for another year.

I can't understand it but it keeps fellas like me afloat so can't argue too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

AP2014 wrote: »
    They have taken serious blows but seem happy to use their sfp to cushion this. Looking at weanling prices and store prices now looks like they are going to give it a bash for another year.

I can't understand it but it keeps fellas like me afloat so can't argue too much.

Is that all sfp means to you ? a cushion.
    Surely you invest some for it back into the farm.

Is that all sfp means to you ? a cushion.
    Surely you invest some for it back into the farm.

It ain't a cushion for me, it goes into the farm account until I see what happens in 2019. I don't run a big farm so no need for big investment. If any investment needed it comes from farm profits or doesn't get done.

It ain't a cushion for me, it goes into the farm account until I see what happens in 2019. I don't run a big farm so no need for big investment. If any investment needed it comes from farm profits or doesn't get done.

Fair enough. However basic maintenance on handling facilities and sheds not
    be a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I have 9 16-17 month old store heifers around 450kg left over from last year Pudsey, had planned on moving them on fairly soon but would be able to hold them till after Xmas if I thought the trade would pick up for them?? Prices for similar stock I have seen selling weren't too hectic. Might keep the best 3 and breed them aswell.

Mart prices are way ahead of factory prices. I was referring to 2013 cattle that were finishing and would be underage for a 6+ months. Anybody with such cattle that are sending them to slaughter is shortsighted as they will climb strongly.

Brass Tag wrote: »
    Sold my dirty arse weanlings (another thread) out of the yard to fella who buys 600 weanlings every fall.
    €2.70kg fully weaned already. I have to hang on to them for 9 or 10 days till he collects.
    Anyway, he's intending on buying a lot more than normal this fall, as he reckons cattle for grass next spring will be very dear. Demand to well outstrip supply he estimates.

Not too sure if he will have much of a margin on such cattle. Buying 350 kg weanlings at 2.7/kg after haulage and maybe mart fees is 950/head. Even at 280kgs they make 760. Allow 175 to get to next march( you have to have a very very tight ship in reality over 200 may be necessary) them calves would need to be making 1200 and 1000 to have a margin. I think at present farmers are overpaying even considering outlook.

Fair enough. However basic maintenance on handling facilities and sheds not
    be a factor.

Of course, but the crush stands and so does the walls around it, I don't see myself needing to maintain it for awhile yet. They will be standing next year as well. Only haysheds and few cow sheds. Same scenario, rarely used.

Mart prices are way ahead of factory prices. I was referring to 2013 cattle that were finishing and would be underage for a 6+ months. Anybody with such cattle that are sending them to slaughter is shortsighted as they will climb strongly.

Pudsey, I have a few 17/18 month olds to go to mart. Do you reckon prices will pick up for these kind of stock if I hold off for another few weeks.

Of course, but the crush stands and so does the walls around it, I don't see myself needing to maintain it for awhile yet. They will be standing next year as well. Only haysheds and few cow sheds. Same scenario, rarely used.

Talk about conservatism :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Not this again lads....

If it ain't broke don't fix it! I may get a grant in a few years for maintaining it anyway.

• Advertisement

If it ain't broke don't fix it! I may get a grant in a few years for maintaining it anyway.

That's not sustainable . when is the farm going to pay for itself. :confused:

Its a bloody crush, it's sustainable, it ain't going anywhere for a few years. The farm is paying for itself now because I'm not bloody painting crushes and knocking and rebuilding crush walls every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

dont tell us your get worried about things like that and it aint even Xmas week yet. money is made round to go around, that's why they got rid of the 50 pence coins:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Brass Tag

Its a bloody crush, it's sustainable, it ain't going anywhere for a few years. The farm is paying for itself now because I'm not bloody painting crushes and knocking and rebuilding crush walls every year.

You seem to have a unique business model. If I understand your situation from the various threads you have contributed to, your farm does not need maintenance, it doesn't require fencing, it doesn't require any fertilizer to speak of ( even in the absence of slurry), you don't / can't administer injections, it required very little if any labour input from yourself, etc etc!
    If you ever decide to have an open day I would like to attend, to get an education. I could seriously do with having my eyes opened.

Brass Tag wrote: »
    You seem to have a unique business model. If I understand your situation from the various threads you have contributed to, your farm does not need maintenance, it doesn't require fencing, it doesn't require any fertilizer to speak of ( even in the absence of slurry), you don't / can't administer injections, it required very little if any labour input from yourself, etc etc!
    If you ever decide to have an open day I would like to attend, to get an education. I could seriously do with having my eyes opened.

I'm thinking of having one....maybe I'll float it at the farming forum xmas party. Dont twist things though....I have fences and I do fertilize. An hr input on a saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

I'm thinking of having one....maybe I'll float it at the farming forum xmas party. Dont twist things though....I have fences and I do fertilize. An hr input on a saturday

Just curious. How many acres are you farming AP?

Feckthis wrote: »
    Just curious. How many acres are you farming AP?

30....I'm part part time. Dry stock so it ain't alot of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

how reliable is the gestation length for HCA and FTY on ICBF website

HCA is showing 286-289 days, I have a heifer 279 days in calf to him

FTY is showing 288-290 days, I have a heifer 274 days in calf to him

4 FTY calves here in last few weeks and I'd say the cow influence is important. Gestations - 275, 284, 292, & 301. First 3 were handy slips of calves that fill out quickly once born. Other one was a good bit larger and back end needed some help with the jack. 3 of them were bull calves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

just do it wrote: »
    4 FTY calves here in last few weeks and I'd say the cow influence is important. Gestations - 275, 284, 292, & 301. First 3 were handy slips of calves that fill out quickly once born. Other one was a good bit larger and back end needed some help with the jack. 3 of them were bull calves.
    Did you use any other maternal Lims?
    FTY's docility would be a problem for me. I used EFZ hoping for heifers and only got one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Moved cattle into new paddock yesterday when I counted today the followed me to the gate as if they were hungry and looking for fresh grass.
    Loads of grazing left in paddock leafy grass so are they lacking something from this paddock?
    Lots of rain last few days should I supplement with meal from now until I stick them in the shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I said wrote: »
    Moved cattle into new paddock yesterday when I counted today the followed me to the gate as if they were hungry and looking for fresh grass.
    Loads of grazing left in paddock leafy grass so are they lacking something from this paddock?
    Lots of rain last few days should I supplement with meal from now until I stick them in the shed.

A bale of hay or straw just to give them a bit of fibre.

The cattle are eating down the after grass well. Its seems the extra fert I put out a few months ago is paying
    dividend now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hear lots of lads saying that "the good is gone from grass at this stage".. Not really sure, small bit of meal or rolled barley would be handy fed too.

_Brian wrote: »
    Hear lots of lads saying that "the good is gone from grass at this stage".. Not really sure, small bit of meal or rolled barley would be handy fed too.

The rain is ruining it. It was a good summer though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

if they are dry cows they will be fine, mine are at the same ****e, tough love this year

• Advertisement

same here so i avoid going near them after 3, they just follow and get unsettled for evening. thinking back a few years an old timer told me never feed cattle in evening for same reason and he added they more or less have their spot for lying for night picked out and are warm, if they get up he reconed meant they had lost an hours feeding ie heating up their spot and may not even lie if weather bad enough,anyway i recon grass has lost its feeding value especially if manured recently as opposed to grass saved 5 weeks , but who has that, so nuts or barley and maize or rolled oats is good supplement but costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Anybody see yer man from Dawn in the rag this week? Outrageous arrogance telling farmers to farm better and make more money!!! Has me in a rage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Just on shelter and cattle lying down at night. I split a 10 acre field into 3 paddocks this year. On of the paddocks has no shelter so I was keeping an eye on the weather while they were in it. Moved them on the Saturday morning before the bad weather, but even at that noticed they all had being lying down in the only hallow in the paddock. You could see all the dung there. Shelter - very important for cattle. As good as any house in bad weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Sunset V wrote: »
    Anybody see yer man from Dawn in the rag this week? Outrageous arrogance telling farmers to farm better and make more money!!! Has me in a rage

Whatever happened with the protests over specs? Were they deemed to be ineffective. Is the fat little pig laughing out from his brick house as the battle weary wolf huffs and puffs in vain?

Just on shelter and cattle lying down at night. I split a 10 acre field into 3 paddocks this year. On of the paddocks has no shelter so I was keeping an eye on the weather while they were in it. Moved them on the Saturday morning before the bad weather, but even at that noticed they all had being lying down in the only hallow in the paddock. You could see all the dung there. Shelter - very important for cattle. As good as any house in bad weather.
    And even the most exposed flat paddocks have shelter! I've one such field and on a very windy day I got down low where they lie and amazingly there wasn't a puff of wind.

• Advertisement

wind breaks have benefit no doubt but careful planning has to be done to put in proper location. some i know around here wish they left some ditches in place,but they need a little thought as if in line with prevailing wind they serve no purpose. being alongside forestry causes ground to stay wet for longer,

ANYONE else get a form from ICBF regarding the Beef Genomics Scheme asking to fill out info, I have already completed on line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

scanned sucklers today, 1 that had a section was not in calf and another is carrying dead twins:( 10 others in calf. Also did dna on all suckler calves and weaned some

whelan2 wrote: »
    scanned sucklers today, 1 that had a section was not in calf and another is carrying dead twins:( 10 others in calf. Also did dna on all suckler calves and weaned some
    do you run a blood test on cows to detemine mineral levels. copper iodine,selenuim . its rather disheartening to get those results despite as they say around here"at least it's outside door" never had any luck getting cows with c sections back in calf so earmark them for factory. luckily had none with about 8 years then calf and cow went west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

glad section cow isnt in calf, she was a lunatic to deal with, had bloat and calf was upside down, knew she wasnt in calf as she was bulling a week or 2 ago. Other cow had twins this year too, scanning man said she was a mess inside and twins where about 3 months old. No we dont blood them for minerals, we are winding down the sucklers, too much hassle

Correction. The one that needed assistance was a bull calf by ADX and had the longest gestation.

Correction. The one that needed assistance was a bull calf by ADX and had the longest gestation.

heifer with FTY went 290 days here and was a big bull calf that had to be jacked

he looks like a drowned rat this morning lying out in a corner of the field

heifer with HCA went 279 days and was a heifer and she calved unassisted

any one apply for the liver fluke testing

if so anyone hear anything back yet

also see a couple labs are giving reduced rates for PI free Herd Status

Factory quotes are back will store prices drop or will the grass men pickup
    The slack as the weather improves,

• Advertisement

Ballymahon Thursday some of the steer prices would love to be selling lots. 61.62 and 63

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Put 90 on that list to. I didn't think lmx would outsell chx. Hard to know not seeing them but they must have been savage stock.

Put 90 on that list to. I didn't think lmx would outsell chx. Hard to know not seeing them but they must have been savage stock.

That's Ballymahon ch or lm nothing else gets a look in great place for selling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ballymahon Thursday some of the steer prices would love to be selling lots. 61.62 and 63

Lot 61 must have been some animal

Reggie. wrote: »
    Lot 61 must have been some animal

Plenty of men in for them always drives them on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Plenty of men in for them always drives them on

Supply and demand :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

250kg Charolais bull 1080 and a 220kg made 990. How can anyone justify this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Miname wrote: »

Long may it continue :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Miname wrote: »
    Is that Carrigallen?
    Must of been a good calf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

It's ridiculous. We're our own worst enemy at times.

You'd be as well look in the paper, stick a pin in a race of horses and put a bet on it. You've about the same chance of making money only the horse could have better odds! ;)

Advertisement