Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Miname wrote: »
    250kg Charolais bull 1080 and a 220kg made 990. How can anyone justify this.

No offence, but big feckin deal. Last March U grade Bulls weighing 400kgs could be bought for €830. What's wrong with the farmer who fed a cow for 12 months making a few quid for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

tanko wrote: »
    No offence, but big feckin deal. Last March U grade Bulls weighing 400kgs could be bought for €830. What's wrong with the farmer who fed a cow for 12 months making a few quid for a change.

I'm not knocking it, if it's sustainable. Do you think this lad will be out buying the same next year if he looses his shirt on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

250kg Charolais bull 1080 and a 220kg made 990. How can anyone justify this.

Would these not have been bought by an exporter?

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Would these not have been bought by an exporter?

No a dealer

I'm not knocking it, if it's sustainable. Do you think this lad will be out buying the same next year if he looses his shirt on them?

I've no doubt he'll be there, the money he makes on last springs cattle will cover any loss on those cattle and his SFP will be his "profit" as it is for most of us.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Of course he will be, that's what SFP/DAS and now Glas does. I reckon he won't even know whether he made money on them or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

This fella on drugs. What would lads give for cattle like these. I would be thinking closer to €900 than €1200.

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/2-smashing-limosin-store-cattle/9040619?offset=28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

AP2014 wrote: »
    This fella on drugs. What would lads give for cattle like these. I would be thinking closer to €900 than €1200.

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/2-smashing-limosin-store-cattle/9040619?offset=28
    whats that on the wall of the shed. Is it expandable foam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

AP2014 wrote: »

If they are as described prob make 1100
    I couldnt give it but know lots that would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

whelan2 wrote: »
    It's a stable judging by the height of the drinker so could be anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Very much doubt they are 400kgs look a bit on yhe narrow side! Looks like yellow paint on walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Kovu wrote: »
    It's a stable judging by the height of the drinker so could be anything!

I say yellow lime wash. yellow was the second most popular colour for lime white wash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

has anyone heard anything about this years genomic testing or will we get the stuff in may when the cows have been turned out

you would think they would learn from last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

It's a new scheme this year under the new RDP and the Dept is waiting for approval from Europe.

Expect some news in April.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

What breed of animal would have LEX on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

restive wrote: »
    What breed of animal would have LEX on the cards.

Official list of breed codes. See attached. No LE.

Last page from;
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/animalhealthwelfare/animalidentificationandmovement/cattlemovementmonitoringsystem/AIMBOVINESTATISTICS2013050614.pdf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Did a quick google there Polish reds is what comes up???

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

blue5000 wrote: »
    Did a quick google there Polish reds is what comes up???
    whats a polish red?

whats a polish red?

It's a communist that lives in Poland, a type of cabbage or a breed of cattle that weigh about 500kgs when mature, are all red in colour and look like stabiliser cattle. I assume they're a dual purpose beef/dairy breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I've a few heifers to sell and just wondering your thoughts on them.
    1) Fattening heifers - fatten off grass or sell in mart with another 6-8 weeks finishing required? They're fleshy enough at the moment.
    2) Breeding heifers - 2yo's fit for bull - Done Deal or Mart? What price range are these making?
    3) In-calf heifers due Sept/Oct to HCA. Sell now or wait till closer to due date? Again what price range are these making? They'll be 2.5yo at calving all AI bred SH, SI or CH with LM back blood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

1. Mart
    2. Mart
    3. Mart

Willfarman wrote: »
    1. Mart
    2. Mart
    3. Mart

There was also the question of timing of sale

just do it wrote: »
    There was also the question of timing of sale

You could put an ad on DD for the breeding heifers.....being sold in a mart on a certain date!

This week. Just do it!

I haven't been in a mart in yonks so was wondering what they're making these days. Meant to book in the breeding heifers yesterday but got sidetracked with work :rolleyes:

This week. Just do it!

Maybe from the breeding heifers but I see lads talking about fields swimming in water and growth rates being back. It could be a bad fortnight for selling? Farmers wont be buying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

+1 on the advertising of the bulling heifers on dd for the mart. The more pictures the better, multiple adds if needed.

Same for the Incalf girls but I'd hold off untill closer to calving. We sold plenty of Incalf girls over the years and always done better about two months from calving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I've a few heifers to sell and just wondering your thoughts on them.
    1) Fattening heifers - fatten off grass or sell in mart with another 6-8 weeks finishing required? They're fleshy enough at the moment.
    2) Breeding heifers - 2yo's fit for bull - Done Deal or Mart? What price range are these making?
    3) In-calf heifers due Sept/Oct to HCA. Sell now or wait till closer to due date? Again what price range are these making? They'll be 2.5yo at calving all AI bred SH, SI or CH with LM back blood.

Personally l would suggest the mart for all. In two stages

Ring the vet this week and get the first two groups blooded. Don'go telling the next lad what to do with them. What one lad would breed, another lad will feed. What do you care if they train them to bark and put them in by the fire once you get a good price for them!? Have them in good order. The best pen of heifers there. Where you are in the draw makes no difference then.

Sell the incalvers as suggested once they are within a month or so of calving. Advertising pre sale would be a good idea. I wouldn't stick on your number or you'll be plagued by lonely souls. If you've their particulars detailed in the ad what more do they need to know. Let them be there on the day if they are interested in buying.

Sound plan of action. Ad on DD for fattening/ breeding heifers with plenty pics and detail and sale date at the mart. Hold off until August for the in-calf heifers. They're in good order so not concerned in that regard.

Cheers lads and lassies

• Advertisement

Sound plan of action. Ad on DD for fattening/ breeding heifers with plenty pics and detail and sale date at the mart. Hold off until August for the in-calf heifers. They're in good order so not concerned in that regard.

Cheers lads and lassies

And now we play the guessing game :P

And now we play the guessing game :P

Ah sure there are plenty on here that have me well sussed already :) Who'd I'd love to know are the local ones that never reveal themselves ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

With this weather I'm feeding the heavier steers 2kg a day grass growth has slowed right down.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Tornbrook

Dear All,

novice farmer here.

I bought a 13 month old heifer at the weekend. LMX , from AI bull OZS and the dam is a good crossbred cow.

Does anyone here weight heifers before AI?

In terms of age , I have more that one experienced voice saying not to bull her until 2years old , and one dissenting voice saying put her in calf now, personally I'm leaning toward putting her in calf now.

opinions on the comments above are welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Tornbrook wrote: »
    Dear All,

novice farmer here.

I bought a 13 month old heifer at the weekend. LMX , from AI bull OZS and the dam is a good crossbred cow.

In terms of age , I have more that one experienced voice saying not to bull her until 2years old , and one dissenting voice saying put her in calf now, personally I'm leaning toward putting her in calf now.

if she is 13 months now she'd only be calving at 22months which is too young.

She wants to be 60% of her final mature weight at breeding.

Either wait a couple of months and have an april calver or let her run onto the autumn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

There are so many factors to consider. Of course her size and frame will dictate a lot.

It also comes down to personal preference. Many breeders,including prue bred ones, wouldn't dream of putting a heifer in caf until over the 2years old. Others would want a calf on the ground at that stage.

The goal is for a live calf anyways whatever age the heifer is inseminated.

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    There are so many factors to consider. Of course her size and frame will dictate a lot.

It also comes down to personal preference. Many breeders,including prue bred ones, wouldn't dream of putting a heifer in calf until over the 2years old. Others would want a calf on the ground at that stage.

The goal is for a live calf anyways whatever age the heifer is inseminated.

thanks muckit.

The heifer has a decent frame, as a rough estimate i'd say she is 400kg / 420kg.

I had trouble last year with a PB limo heifer bred at 17 months, very very hard to get back in calf.
    If I use an easy calving AA bull with short gestation, I could leave her until late july this year and still have a calf in mid / late april.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

Dear All,

novice farmer here.

What weight? Answer 400kgs

Yes Bull her. Plenty big at 400 kgs. Age doesn't matter.

Dear All,

novice farmer here.

What is your target calving time, spring or autumn, if it's spring I would hold fire and bull her in January which would still give you a nice young heifer

What is your target calving time, spring or autumn, if it's spring I would hold fire and bull her in January which would still give you a nice young heifer

Thanks Mr Bull
    Spring calving here, usually start in early March.

I'm slightly confused, are you suggesting that I bull my heifer next january, with a view to having a Nov born calf?

Thanks Mr Bull
    Spring calving here, usually start in early March.

I'm slightly confused, are you suggesting that I bull my heifer next january, with a view to having a Nov born calf?

Lol mr bull, I like it,

Yes let her calve down a couple months earlier than the main herd the first time which will bring her in line with main herd on second gestation

If it was me I'd bull her in end feb/ early march, but look everyone differs , my cows calve feb/march and all maidens get bulled here to calve in December beforehand,

• Advertisement

She's big enough at 400 kg. give her an easy calver like sh or speckled park, I'm personally not overdone on aa. You'll find she might have been lying in the rushes for a while before registering.

Lad beside me here just had a v muscley bb heifer calve at 17 months and her on a few kg of beef nuts a day all winter. Calved a little ch herself, her elder was only noticed a few days before she calved so she never even seen a hay diet.
    If you tried to get that to happen again it wouldn't!

Lad beside me here just had a v muscley bb heifer calve at 17 months and her on a few kg of beef nuts a day all winter. Calved a little ch herself, her elder was only noticed a few days before she calved so she never even seen a hay diet.
    If you tried to get that to happen again it wouldn't!

Lovely to see something like that.

Lovely to see something like that.

I'll be dehorning her in a couple of weeks so I'll get a pic if I can.

She's big enough at 400 kg. give her an easy calver like sh or speckled park, I'm personally not overdone on aa. You'll find she might have been lying in the rushes for a while before registering.

Was thinking of a Blonde, progressive genetics have an easy calving bull Lockhead tyson.

AA bull RGZ has very short gestation,might pull back the calving date and easy calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

I'm with miname on this ,if she's over 400kg's she' big enough to bull next month but I'd be going an easy calving AA to give her a chance 1st time

Just in from driving a few fencing posts. Up at 5.30 to put up the wire and move cattle by 7am. Then breakfast, 10 minutes of penalties, shower and off to work.

Who'd be a part-time farmer?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Just in from driving a few fencing posts. Up at 5.30 to put up the wire and move cattle by 7am. Then breakfast, 10 minutes of penalties, shower and off to work.

penalties ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Feck that for a game of soldiers ! Did you start milking yet ?
    Would a few pigtails and electric wire have done short term instead of late night and early morning driving stakes

penalties ??

With my young Messi ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement