Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Bullocks wrote: »
    €890 she made . I'm happy with that , don't know her weight but under 500kg anyhow , purebred holstien

Ya should have sent her to athenry mart or factory. She was a lot heavier than ya thought. Deal of the day in Headford me thinks and was the last lady in. :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Is it common to fail a blood test and then get a re-test and pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

brucellosis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Ya should have sent her to athenry mart or factory. She was a lot heavier than ya thought. Deal of the day in Headford me thinks and was the last lady in. :-(

A lad at work showed me her picture there ! She was dearer than I thought and way heavier at 675kg and €980 but I'm still happy with that money

whelan2 wrote: »
    brucellosis?

Yep

• Advertisement

Yep
    was it that it couldnt be read? very strange if it showed +

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Haven't had one for a long time but 'no'.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Haven't had one for a long time but 'no'.

A lad was telling me it happend to him a few weeks ago, tought it was unusual

A lad was telling me it happend to him a few weeks ago, tought it was unusual
    sometimes there mightnt be enough blood in the sample and it has to be redone?

Bullocks wrote: »
    A lad at work showed me her picture there ! She was dearer than I thought and way heavier at 675kg and €980 but I'm still happy with that money

Ya can't do anything out of the way with mart reports on farming forum. I'd ask the uncle how he got on with a lock of weanlings and he'd always have an extra 30kg and €50 on them. I'll let him know someday when it suits!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Ya can't do anything out of the way with mart reports on farming forum. I'd ask the uncle how he got on with a lock of weanlings and he'd always have an extra 30kg and €50 on them. I'll let him know someday when it suits!!

Her picture is in the journal today aswell . I was going the opposite to the uncle, cheaper and lighter :D

Right lads. 4 stumps going to mart tomorrow. Weights and what will I get. Winner gets a prize!!

Orange chx may14
    White chx apr 14
    Hex will go together Mar & Apr 14

Right lads. 4 stumps going to mart tomorrow. Weights and what will I get. Winner gets a prize!!

Orange chx may14
    White chx apr 14

Can't attach photos as cannot see attachment button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The prize will be hard won so!

Finally......

Finally......

Last two

Whiteheads 470 kg €. 1060. White char 510kgs € 1320. Roan char. 440 kg €1180 I hope you get it all and more!

Willfarman wrote: »
    Whiteheads 470 kg €. 1060. White char 510kgs € 1320. Roan char. 440 kg €1180 I hope you get it all and more!

Your bang in the weights id say bar the roan char....I think.....

Your bang in the weights id say bar the roan char....I think.....

Heavier than that? You'd want the photos all in front of a 5 bar gate for guesstimating purposes! What money have you in mind?

Heavier than that? You'd want the photos all in front of a 5 bar gate for guesstimating purposes! What money have you in mind?

Thats what I try and gauge cattle in donedeal by. Went out to look at "monsters" of FR weanlings once and when got to the field seen the gate was at an angle and heart sank even before I seen the beasts. You are 100% bang on the money bar id hope for 1280 for orangey chx.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

The white char doesn't look that weight to me

I would knock 10-20 kgs off the whiteheads as well

Panch18 wrote: »
    The white char doesn't look that weight to me

I would knock 10-20 kgs off the whiteheads as well

Sure I may as well guess myself seeing that's all I'm doing is guessing!
    White chx 505kg €1330
    Orange chx 495kg €1240 colour may go against me
    Hex 475kg €1040

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Orange chx 350kg r+ 4-
    White chx 380kg r=3-
    Hex 300kg 0+ 3-

Best of luck

aa cow getting ready to calve, had a section last year, can only go near her with jeep today, hopefully she will calve herself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

hope all goes gd whelan2
    quiet Angus's...

wiggy123 wrote: »
    hope all goes gd whelan2
    quiet Angus's...

She calved herself. All's good. Will post a picture when it's safe to go near her :)

And the winner is........THE FN TRUCKERS......prices back to fook

White chx 465 kg 1180
    Orangey chx 495kg 1195
    2 whiteheads 468kg 1090

Big change in two weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

And the winner is........THE FN TRUCKERS......prices back to fook

White chx 465 kg 1180
    Orangey chx 495kg 1195
    2 whiteheads 468kg 1090

Big change in two weeks.

Are they back that much? They seem like decent prices especially for the whiteheads. White chx didn't weigh great.

AP2014 wrote: »
    Are they back that much? They seem like decent prices especially for the whiteheads. White chx didn't weigh great.

No AP he didn't. Two lads starting bidding on the whiteheads so that got me the 90euro extra. They were tall well made ones anyway. There was a lot of them in before mine same age and 380kg. Paid 500 each for them in November. 715 for orangey chx in sept and 600 for white chx last August. Happy enough.

• Advertisement

No AP he didn't. Two lads starting bidding on the whiteheads so that got me the 90euro extra. They were tall well made ones anyway. There was a lot of them in before mine same age and 380kg. Paid 500 each for them in November. 715 for orangey chx in sept and 600 for white chx last August. Happy enough.

Ah jaysus ya done ok so. The pictures are deceiving they looked stocky but in great order. Were ya giving them a few nuts? What ages?

Orange chx may14
    White chx apr 14

Mix of nuts soya bean meal and barley bout half kg each per day since turn out. Just to keep them ticking over really. They very easy manage also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

The whiteheads did the best, they were the cheapest to buy and left the biggest profit.

tanko wrote: »
    The whiteheads did the best, they were the cheapest to buy and left the biggest profit.

Tis hard to know what to buy. Weanlings under 700 euro anymore and good continental sucks 350 or under. Anything more is a risk.

Orange chx may14
    White chx apr 14

Mix of nuts soya bean meal and barley bout half kg each per day since turn out. Just to keep them ticking over really. They very easy manage also.

Great weights for the ages. I will have a few to go in November around the DOB/quality of yours and be 500kg to 550kg hopefully. I dished out €800 for them in March though. You did great with those HEX.

I don't give feed, would you not buy beef nuts? Is that mix you buy cheaper?

The chars were deserving of a bit more but ya couldn't bring em home just same. Whiteheads were bang on value Imo.

• Advertisement

AP2014 wrote: »
    Great weights for the ages. I will have a few to go in November around the DOB/quality of yours and be 500kg to 550kg hopefully. I dished out €800 for them in March though. You did great with those HEX.

I don't give feed, would you not buy beef nuts? Is that mix you buy cheaper?

I buy half tonne bag of nuts and bags of soya meal and barley. 3half tonne bags since turnout so not robbing me.

The chars were deserving of a bit more but ya couldn't bring em home just same. Whiteheads were bang on value Imo.

In my opinion yes. I'd have got 750 + with their weight 2 wks ago. Was happy out with the whiteheads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

I buy half tonne bag of nuts and bags of soya meal and barley. 3half tonne bags since turnout so not robbing me.

What rate do you mix?
    Also is it to cheapen the mix, or add protein?

Farrell wrote: »
    What rate do you mix?
    Also is it to cheapen the mix, or add protein?

Soya bean meal definitely does not cheapen the mix. Total mik for groups of 8 for summer would be a total of 3kg beef nuts 3/4kg of both soya and barley. More protein is the key. And ive been consistently getting cattle to carry good weight and build good frame since I started using the soya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Soya bean meal definitely does not cheapen the mix. Total mik for groups of 8 for summer would be a total of 3kg beef nuts 3/4kg of both soya and barley. More protein is the key. And ive been consistently getting cattle to carry good weight and build good frame since I started using the soya

What size bags does the soya bean meal come in and how much is it?

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    What size bags does the soya bean meal come in and how much is it?

25kg quinns is the name on bag I think. It is over €13 per bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Ok so a 3:2:2 mix.
    Could be an option for weanlings heifers over the winter.
    Would you add minerals to the mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Journal said this week 12% crude protein enough for fattening cattle on grass. It is too.

Protein is now high in grass dry matter.

Good loser wrote: »
    Journal said this week 12% crude protein enough for fattening cattle on grass. It is too.

Protein is now high in grass dry matter.

Ya in a perfect world. With beautiful grazing weather. They standing at the walls looking for shelter most of the last month. This way I know they are getting what they need. As I said its my system it seems to be working and I'm sticking with it.

Farrell wrote: »
    Ok so a 3:2:2 mix.
    Could be an option for weanlings heifers over the winter.
    Would you add minerals to the mix?

Minerals is the next thing I want to look into. I put bluestone in troughs every so often and bucket of mineral lick. Would like advice on that if anyone has any. As for winter I change the main mixture from nuts to barley and soya hulls mix with soya bean meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭tomieen jones

Minerals is the next thing I want to look into. I put bluestone in troughs every so often and bucket of mineral lick. Would like advice on that if anyone has any. As for winter I change the main mixture from nuts to barley and soya hulls mix with soya bean meal.
    I do the very same! Throw some bluestone
    Into the water troughs but it's guess work as to how much is sufficient unless I do a few blood tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Great info just wondering what the 380kg whiteheads made
    Have you an idea what weight the whiteheads were when you bought them
    I sold 3 august '14 whiteheads 270kg bucket fed weanlings myself this week for €625 .happy as they were handy out of smallish fr cows sold the best one out of that bunch for €200 as a 6 weeks old calf in local mart , so they made well over €425 for there years keep

cute geoge wrote: »
    Great info just wondering what the 380kg whiteheads made
    Have you an idea what weight the whiteheads were when you bought them
    I sold 3 august '14 whiteheads 270kg bucket fed weanlings myself this week for €625 .happy as they were handy out of smallish fr cows sold the best one out of that bunch for €200 as a 6 weeks old calf in local mart , so they made well over €425 for there years keep

Around the 830 mark not 100% sure. They were light but good enough frame. The looked lost against what I reared myself from sucks and really bad against the weanlings I bought in but if ya look back at the photos I posted they came on well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Headed up to tullamore today through Gort, portumna and birr. Herself was driving and I got to look in over plenty of walls and is it just me or is there very little stock east of the Shannon. Apart from a few dairy farms along the way there didn't seem to be anything close to the numbers of stock around fields as there is around here. Granted there is a good bit of tillage land along the way but would have thought on good land there would be a lot more stock along the way. Anyone else notice similar?

Headed up to tullamore today through Gort, portumna and birr. Herself was driving and I got to look in over plenty of walls and is it just me or is there very little stock east of the Shannon. Apart from a few dairy farms along the way there didn't seem to be anything close to the numbers of stock around fields as there is around here. Granted there is a good bit of tillage land along the way but would have thought on good land there would be a lot more stock along the way. Anyone else notice similar?
    Parents went to Mullingar last week, my dad said there was nearly no sheep in the fields on the way , a few big dairy farms and a few cattle. Said it has changed alot in a few years

• Advertisement
Advertisement