Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef General Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Anyone else got a sort of coughing virus in the shed? Have six weanlings and three yearling all at it. Possibly the same thing hit the young calf harder and he's being treated for pneumonia with Alamycin/Micotil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

I have my cows out during the day. Bolused them last weekend. Lasts 30 days and think worked out at €9 per bolus/cow.

I need my scoop gate!

http://www.norbrook.com/products/opti-mag-3/

Meant to add guns rob you think have spent 300 euros on different guns for different boluses. Go for all metal if you can worth the extra,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I was going to go with bolus, but I think they only get about 90mg over 4 weeks, they need about 30/40mg a day, so I wouldn't rely on it solely.

Kove, noticing it a bit here the last few days, calves with the odd cough not much at all but keeping an eye on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

http://homepage.eircom.net/~progers/mgsupbov.htm

Useful link. However you do it make sure that they get Mag as cows need it lost 2 cows with grass tetany last year. Were fine in morning and dead when checked later that day. Missed dosing them and it was a total sickner

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The easiest thing might be to give them some hay in the corner of the paddock

Last I heard that's not a way of getting Mg into them, the theory about the stalk (hay) having more mineral content than the leaf (silage)doesn't seem to hold water. What it will do is slow down transit time through the gut allowing more of the mineral present to be absorbed. So the old observation that it helps is still valid, just that it can't really be relied upon. The shelter available from the corner of the paddock shouldn't be sniffed at either. :)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Doesn't warrant a thread of its own. I have a bb/fr yearling heifer here and debating with myself whether to keep her or not. She's good and square behind and doesn't look narrow from the outside. Are they a pure disaster trying to calve them and would I be playing with fire a bit letting a limo up on her if I was to keep her? Haven't done a section here in over 10 years and I'd like to keep it that way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

A lot of people get away with it. It seems to me that the ones that have a more dairy shape have longer lives.

From a vets POV, most of the caesarians I do have a BB component.

I'll be honest, I'm biased against them. They are lovely looking quiet cattle but...........

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Doesn't warrant a thread of its own. I have a bb/fr yearling heifer here and debating with myself whether to keep her or not. She's good and square behind and doesn't look narrow from the outside. Are they a pure disaster trying to calve them and would I be playing with fire a bit letting a limo up on her if I was to keep her? Haven't done a section here in over 10 years and I'd like to keep it that way.

I love them as cows but be sensible with sire selection. Angus or easiest of easy calving limo or saler on her for the first year at least. They have muscle gene in them even if they don't look too fancy so don't rely on the bull to do all the heavy lifting in that regard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

We have had a few here and had no bother putting limos on them but we would be using easy calvers and nothing too big . They are soft in my opinion and I am getting rid of them now if they don't go in calf . Not sure how they would fare out in your territory, they would be a hungry cow aswell if you know what I mean .
    A whitehead heifer off them is a lovely cow if you wanted replacements

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Had a few LC but we used angus on them, there is a couple of daughters with 1/4 bb and I'd have to be there calving them. There is a recessive double muscle gene in some breeds, maybe lim have it, not sure, if it's there you'll be in trouble.

Could you ai her to a decent angus and see how it goes?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Had a few LC but we used angus on them, there is a couple of daughters with 1/4 bb and I'd have to be there calving them. There is a recessive double muscle gene in some breeds, maybe lim have it, not sure, if it's there you'll be in trouble.

Could you ai her to a decent angus and see how it goes?

The angus are tasty out of BB's aswell

Bullocks wrote: »
    We have had a few here and had no bother putting limos on them but we would be using easy calvers and nothing too big . They are soft in my opinion and I am getting rid of them now if they don't go in calf . Not sure how they would fare out in your territory, they would be a hungry cow aswell if you know what I mean .
    A whitehead heifer off them is a lovely cow if you wanted replacements

She's out all winter with 9 red Lim heifers and she's holding her own with them condition wise so far. I might chance her with the young bull by efz. He's not half as muscley or boney as the older bull. They'll be scattered all over the parish for the summer so ai is a bit of a non runner here.

Pic of that blue heifer. 46827CBC-479F-4962-A7EC-CE77B5DB036C_zpsbu4xtdmr.png

greysides wrote: »
    Last I heard that's not a way of getting Mg into them, the theory about the stalk (hay) having more mineral content than the leaf (silage)doesn't seem to hold water. What it will do is slow down transit time through the gut allowing more of the mineral present to be absorbed. So the old observation that it helps is still valid, just that it can't really be relied upon. The shelter available from the corner of the paddock shouldn't be sniffed at either. :)

I was always under the impression that it was the finer rather than magnesium that hay brought to the party like you said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

What are lads creep feeding their calves at the moment?
    Home mix or pre mix. Do ye find it payes with good continental calves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What are lads creep feeding their calves at the moment?
    Home mix or pre mix. Do ye find it payes with good continental calves?

Definetly with bulls , heifers get a bit fat .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Doesn't warrant a thread of its own. I have a bb/fr yearling

Are they a pure disaster trying to calve them and would I be playing with fire a bit letting a limo up on her if I was to keep her? Haven't done a section here in over 10 years and I'd like to keep it that way.

A neighbour of mine has a herd of them. Auld lad asked him one day if he had much trouble with calving. He claimed that they're easy managed. He feeds the cows only hay for the last six weeks before calving and claims he doesn't even need the jack in most cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Have put a couple of Sim Bulls on some cows this year to try and improve the milk situation with the cows here. Of course at least 50% of them will be bulls.
    I'm just wondering how do any of you who use Sim Bulls get on with them selling them as weanlings or stores compared to the other breeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

tanko wrote: »
    Have put a couple of Sim Bulls on some cows this year to try and improve the milk situation with the cows here. Of course at least 50% of them will be bulls.
    I'm just wondering how do any of you who use Sim Bulls get on with them selling them as weanlings or stores compared to the other breeds?

Sold a VIO bull last October, 330kg @ €890.
    He was off a white CH cow & looked like a CH off a SI dam

Would it be worth feeding over the winter & killing in June? If not getting enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭limo_100

tanko wrote: »

I did the same as you last year got 2 and 2 i'm going to keep them and sell them as 18-24 month old stores. Have 5 on for now and the spring time have the first one calved a heifer second one due in the next day or 2

Farrell wrote: »
    Sold a VIO bull last October, 330kg @ €890.
    He was off a white CH cow & looked like a CH off a SI dam

Would it be worth feeding over the winter & killing in June? If not getting enough

He must have been a good one. I'd say I'll be selling them as 16/17 month old stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Just thinking about sorting cattle for the winter. I've good Spring 15 born continental bullocks probably averaging 550kg and depending on weather will probably be housing them in a month. I'd usually just store them and put back to grass to kill next summer. Was going to chance finishing some of the heavier ones out of the shed this winter.
    I'll weigh them at housing but at what weight should I say they are better off just being stored?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Stick with your first plan. Get them out as early as your ground will allow in the spring when the power is in the grass. Move to fresh grass every 2-3 days and feed 3-4kgs barley for 6 weeks.

Trying to fatten in the shed will rob you. Beef price is on the floor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Muckit wrote: »
    Stick with your first plan. Get them out as early as your ground will allow in the spring when the power is in the grass. Move to fresh grass every 2-3 days and feed 3-4kgs barley for 6 weeks.

Trying to fatten in the shed will rob you. Beef price is on the floor
    I know where your coming from ok. Problem round here is that ground doesn't usually dry up good enough to carry these heavy lads till mid April and it's a long time in the shed from November till then without putting on much weight. We'd probably carry 3 yearlings for every 2 two year olds on the same land without any hassle so was trying to move the heavier stock on quicker.

What are lads feeding heavy cattle at grass at the moment. Feeding 2kg of barley and thinking of increasing to 4kg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

What are lads feeding heavy cattle at grass at the moment. Feeding 2kg of barley and thinking of increasing to 4kg

3 kg hi maize crunch. €230 a ton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

1.5 kg a head of 15% protein beef finisher ration

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭eoinmk2

is the 15% needed? i thought protein didnt need to be that high to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

3kgs of barley and soya hulls 70/30 costing 190/ton. Quality of barley poor at present compared to previous years.

Slava Ukrainii

eoinmk2 wrote: »
    is the 15% needed? i thought protein didnt need to be that high to finish.

No idea but it's in it

• Advertisement

3kgs of barley and soya hulls 70/30 costing 190/ton. Quality of barley poor at present compared to previous years.

No need to feed protein with grass 10-11%P adequate which is straight barley/maize. Soya hull important at present as grass is quite low DM. Would even consider feeding straight soya hulls if price was 160 or lower.

Slava Ukrainii

we have been feeding straight barley with a small amount of citrus pulp(to help get them to eat it) to a few for finishing for the past 3 months. they are ready to go not soon due to age, but found the quality of the barley very poor too, especially the last month. moving to a new supplier for the winter feed.

have many people priced meal for the coming winter?
    our local glanbia are 260/t for the beef nuts 15%, 265/t for the fast finisher 13%, 300/t for the weaning crunch 16%
    priced quinns at the ploughing, 235/t for their maize beef ration 12%, 240/t for their weanling ration 16%
    all collected

winter feeding is probably going to be a waste of time, but going to feed one pen. most going to grass next year

we have been feeding straight barley with a small amount of citrus pulp(to help get them to eat it) to a few for finishing for the past 3 months. they are ready to go not soon due to age, but found the quality of the barley very poor too, especially the last month. moving to a new supplier for the winter feed.

our local glanbia are 260/t for the beef nuts 15%, 265/t for the fast finisher 13%, 300/t for the weaning crunch 16%
    priced quinns at the ploughing, 235/t for their maize beef ration 12%, 240/t for their weanling ration 16%
    all collected

winter feeding is probably going to be a waste of time, but going to feed one pen. most going to grass next year

That ration I showed you is roughly €170 for 700kg collected. So roughly €240 a ton

i think because of the bad grain price the "better quality" rations might be good value this year. we usually did something similar to you raggie with mixing our own as it was cheaper, but might go for a ration this year.

Rolled barley (bags) @€;230/tonne. Easy throw on the shoulder.

Rolled barley (bags) @€;230/tonne. Easy throw on the shoulder.
    That's expensive, I felt bad paying 200 for RB in bags.

all collected

It makes no difference in barley switched suppliers two weeks ago same mix barley pure sh!te. Think they are offloading some of the imported muck. Very dry no flour in it and a lot of screedings.

On winter feed was talking to a miller agent early in the week. Very few are going feeding this year. No enquiries and lads that did it that he was talking to are not planning on either buying or finishing ones they have over the winter. He was saying that a procurement agent told him somebody always finishes them but he is addament the amount giving it up are serious.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Think they are offloading some of the imported muck. Very dry no flour in it and a lot of screedings.

That will be this years winter barley, all chaff no starch and huge penalties. Protein content should be up but bushel weight should be on you docket, really should look into it as energy content feed value perton will be WAY down over "normal" quality full price

blue5000 wrote: »
    That's expensive, I felt bad paying 200 for RB in bags.

You pay for convenience l suppose! This is the treated stuff now.

You pay for convenience l suppose! This is the treated stuff now.

Treated with what, propcorn?

• Advertisement

Yeah, probably. Wouldnt b up on all that. Whatever they put through it to stop it going off. Sure l hardly know what l combine looks like. Your tillage country anyways. €30/tonne extra to haul to this neck of the woods :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Muckit wrote:
    Yeah, probably. Wouldnt b up on all that. Whatever they put through it to stop it going off. Sure l hardly know what l combine looks like. Your tillage country anyways. €30/tonne extra to haul to this neck of the woods

Acid treated could be high moisture content. You could be paying for water.

Yeah, probably. Wouldnt b up on all that. Whatever they put through it to stop it going off. Sure l hardly know what l combine looks like. Your tillage country anyways. €30/tonne extra to haul to this neck of the woods :)

If you could collect , there is a lad down your neck of the woods (roughly ) selling barley out of the shed in tonne bags . I dont know the price this year yet but I bought off him the last two years and it was lovely stuff .
    I thought there would be plenty of combines around your side of the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

If you could collect , there is a lad down your neck of the woods (roughly ) selling barley out of the shed in tonne bags . I dont know the price this year yet but I bought off him the last two years and it was lovely stuff .
    I thought there would be plenty of combines around your side of the world

Is that Daly?

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Is that Daly?

No , this lad only started selling in the last couple of years . Ill PM you his name

No , this lad only started selling in the last couple of years . Ill PM you his name

I thought you were talking about him too. If its more over loughrea side too far for me.

I wonder if I should add some beet pulp to stop grass running through them

I wonder if I should add some beet pulp to stop grass running through them

Soya hulls are the only real good fibre source this timr of year. I consider feeding it straight.

Slava Ukrainii

I thought you were talking about him too. If its more over loughrea side too far for me.

Clonberne

• Advertisement

What would you expect to pay a man (not a vet) to squeeze 10 weanling Bulls 6-7 months old?

Advertisement