Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef General Thread

1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

tanko wrote: »
    What would you expect to pay a man (not a vet) to squeeze 10 weanling Bulls 6-7 months old?

50 if he's local and not out of his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What would you expect to pay a man (not a vet) to squeeze 10 weanling Bulls 6-7 months old?

Depends on whether they are bucket fed or sucklers. If you are unsure about squeezing yourself you can get X-large banders that will do cattle to 300kgs. Vets hahrge a callout charge of 55+vat That may cover first two and 7+vat/animal after that.

If bucket fed 40-50 euro and if sucklers 50-60 at a guess. I think young lad would be happy with that anyway if he aws doing it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Lads, can one of ye PM me with where a body could get soy hulls in Sligo (or environs). Had OH looking online for the past week and don't know if he couldn't find or wasn't there for him to find. Thanks in advance!!!

KatyMac wrote: »
    Lads, can one of ye PM me with where a body could get soy hulls in Sligo (or environs). Had OH looking online for the past week and don't know if he couldn't find or wasn't there for him to find. Thanks in advance!!!

You will not get them in small bags only in bulk just in case you are looking for small bags. Most Co-op milling plants will sell in bulk 3-4 ton loads and most millers the same. If there is a milling plant locally you may be able to collect half or ton bags of them.

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks Bass - that might explain a lot. Back to the drawing board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Aurivo were selling them, a few of their stores have straights that you can collect them depending on how much you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Depends on whether they are bucket fed or sucklers. If you are unsure about squeezing yourself you can get X-large banders that will do cattle to 300kgs. Vets hahrge a callout charge of 55+vat That may cover first two and 7+vat/animal after that.

If bucket fed 40-50 euro and if sucklers 50-60 at a guess. I think young lad would be happy with that anyway if he aws doing it.

They were suckler bred weanlings, gave the lad that does my scanning/feet paring €50 for squeezing the ten.
    Wouldn't like to have your vet out too often, vet here is €38 +vat for a call during the day, would be more at night/weekend.
    Would many farmers use those bands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

They were suckler bred weanlings, gave the lad that does my scanning/feet paring €50 for squeezing the ten.
    Wouldn't like to have your vet out too often, vet here is €38 +vat for a call during the day, would be more at night/weekend.
    Would many farmers use those bands?

Using the bands here for the last 3 years. Couldn't enough good things about them. Less stress on man and beast. Cheap and effective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Using the bands here for the last 3 years. Couldn't enough good things about them. Less stress on man and beast. Cheap and effective

At what age do you put them on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

What would you be feeding soya hulls to would it be any good to feed to maintain suckers over the winter

• Advertisement

limo_100 wrote: »
    What would you be feeding soya hulls to would it be any good to feed to maintain suckers over the winter

That's the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DEUTZ1507

usually 10 a head

At what age do you put them on?

We buy in weanling bullocks. Or in some cases, what are supposed to be bullocks. So anything from 8 to 15 months. Buy in about 15 to 20 bulls a year and band them straight away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DEUTZ1507

do you find the bands pull the rear down abit??

DEUTZ1507 wrote: »
    do you find the bands pull the rear down abit??

No. Never had any problem like that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

If banding, make sure the cattle are done fully for clostridial diseases beforehand.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    If banding, make sure the cattle are done fully for clostridial diseases beforehand.

Always done for Blackleg here Greysides.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Always done for Blackleg here Greysides.

Tetanus is the bigger risk..just use a combined vaccine.

Q: What is tetanus?
    Tetanus is a fairly common and highly fatal disease occurring in all types of livestock.
    It is caused by toxins produced by the bacterium Clostridium tetani. It begins when tetanus bacteria enter the body, usually through a wound or cut exposed to contaminated soil, and affects the central nervous system by causing painful muscular contractions.
    In the absence of oxygen the bacteria multiply and produce a local infection. The time between infection and disease can be very short (two or three days) or quite long (four weeks or more), depending on how long it takes for the contaminated area to develop a low level of oxygen (such as by a wound healing over sealing off the tissue from the outside). The disease is seen in all ages of stock. Calving and castration seem to be the most common procedures linked to the development of tetanus

Q: Do I need to vaccinate for tetanus?
    Yes, protection from tetanus is necessary whether using the Callicrate Bander for castration or horn removal of cattle, goats or sheep. Banding does not introduce tetanus into the system, but does create an anaerobic (oxygen free) environment which is needed for tetanus to grow. Any form of castration where there is a break in the skin, puts an animal at risk for tetanus.

http://www.nobull.net/bander/CB-Q&A.html

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

greysides wrote: »
    Tetanus is the bigger risk..just use a combined vaccine.

http://www.nobull.net/bander/CB-Q&A.html

Interesting, we were ready to band a group of bull calves a few years ago and the vet said not to, she said they had seen too much complications resulting from banding that they didn't recommend it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

We buy in weanling bullocks. Or in some cases, what are supposed to be bullocks. So anything from 8 to 15 months. Buy in about 15 to 20 bulls a year and band them straight away too.

Would it be as hard to get a band on as to castrate? Is it a 2 man job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »
    Interesting, we were ready to band a group of bull calves a few years ago and the vet said not to, she said they had seen too much complications resulting from banding that they didn't recommend it..
    We got the same opinion from our vet. Like you we were going to band a good few and with the cost of the band & vaccination and possibility of tetanus we didn't do them. I think the vet also said that it would be better if they stayed out in the fields.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Weighed weanlings today before they start getting creep, put a few cows through as well and some of the Au x cows have weanlings 56% of their body weight.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

blue5000 wrote: »
    Weighed weanlings today before they start getting creep, put a few cows through as well and some of the Au x cows have weanlings 56% of their body weight.

Thats good. 50% of the dams weight @ weaning is a top rate target ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

Banding is a serious job. I banded and squeezed lads before and the squeezed lads were at least a month behind the banded lads. It doesn't knock them at all.

Muckit wrote: »
    Would it be as hard to get a band on as to castrate? Is it a 2 man job?

We usually do it as a two man job. Once the animals head is locked in the crush gate, its a 20 to 30 second job. One man pushed the tail up, the second man clips on the band.
    I've done it in my own also tho, i just tie one of the hind legs forward

That's the plan.

how much would it be a tonne? what level of protein is in it? and what levels do you intend on feeding it at

how much would it be a tonne? what level of protein is in it? and what levels do you intend on feeding it at

Soya hulls are 11.9 ME and 11.6 Crude protein. Because they are a carb based fibre source rather than a sugar based one like beet pulp or citrus you can feed at high rates. You should be able to source in bulk at 180/ton if taking 3+ ton.

Slava Ukrainii

Soya hulls are 11.9 ME and 11.6 Crude protein. Because they are a carb based fibre source rather than a sugar based one like beet pulp or citrus you can feed at high rates. You should be able to source in bulk at 180/ton if taking 3+ ton.

How would that compare to a 16% store beef nut at 240/ton which would be the better value??

How would that compare to a 16% store beef nut at 240/ton which would be the better value??

It is horses for courses.If you were willing to home mix it with soyabean meal (12%) and minerals (2%) it would cost you 225/ton at 16.5P. As a ration it would be 11.8ME. Real advantage is if you were short of silage or were buying in lucky bags. You could feed high rates of soya hulls instead

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
Advertisement