Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef General Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Thanks men will get on the phone during the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

God when supposedly one of the most profitable beef farmers in the country, on some of the best land can't see a future in sucklers, it says a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Muckit wrote: »
    God when supposedly one of the most profitable beef farmers in the country, on some of the best land can't see a future in sucklers, it says a lot.

Tbh l wouldn't be surprised if the other farmer on that open day went milking. It would depend on his family situation, whether any of his kids were going to carry on. Tom has plenty of experience with cows and was always a stickler for details. It would be a seamless transition for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Read the article the most standout statement is he makes more out of bough in cattle than out of his own.:eek:

Yes. After making the switch, l can agree :)

• Advertisement

Yes. After making the switch, l can agree :)

Never made the switch:D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Yes but they are basing this on costs of 700 euro per anum to keep a suckler cow. I'd like to see what's in those costs. Maybe they are big 800+ kg cows not 550kg efficient cows.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

blue5000 wrote: »
    Yes but they are basing this on costs of 700 euro per anum to keep a suckler cow. I'd like to see what's in those costs. Maybe they are big 800+ kg cows not 550kg efficient cows.

I'm not convinced that these smaller cows produce a calf that is far enough ahead of a dairy/ beef cross calf to justify their existence either.
    I kill all grades shapes and colours.
    Example. 2 bullocks from load last week.

1 big black lim. Half friesian under 30 months. March born. Plain enough on the hoof but well fleshed. Graded r- 4-356 kgs. €1377.

Red lim with white head. Half hereford id guess. Under30 months. Feb born. 367kgs r=4= €1420.

Now a direct comparison against both is a friend of mine who killed cattle the previous day. Big white Charolais. Dec born. Just under 30 mths. 480something weight carcass. Something in region of €1900.(i can't remember exactly). Was only. A 2 + fat score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Was the 480 kg carcase penalised for overweight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

Willfarman wrote: »
    Big white Charolais. Dec born. Just under 30 mths. 480something weight carcass. Something in region of €1900.(i can't remember exactly). Was only. A 2 + fat score.

id agree that that animal was fit to be killed

what would it have cost him to feed that beast into a 3-=+

and aswell he got a good price if he got 1900 euro for 480 carcase weight that's 3.95 euro a kilo

• Advertisement

dharn wrote: »
    Was the 480 kg carcase penalised for overweight ?

No cut. Didn't get 11euro bonus scheme that factory has itself that's all.

Willfarman wrote: »
    I'm not convinced that these smaller cows produce a calf that is far enough ahead of a dairy/ beef cross calf to justify their existence either.
    I kill all grades shapes and colours.
    Example. 2 bullocks from load last week.

1 big black lim. Half friesian under 30 months. March born. Plain enough on the hoof but well fleshed. Graded r- 4-356 kgs. €1377.

Red lim with white head. Half hereford id guess. Under30 months. Feb born. 367kgs r=4= €1420.

Now a direct comparison against both is a friend of mine who killed cattle the previous day. Big white Charolais. Dec born. Just under 30 mths. 480something weight carcass. Something in region of €1900.(i can't remember exactly). Was only. A 2 + fat score.
    If he was dec born and killed in july isn't that 31 months?

If he was dec born and killed in july isn't that 31 months?

He might have been in the rushes for a month

Apologies yes he was February born. He told me he sent him under fleshed because he was running overage in a few days. I miscalculated

And he possibly did get a month or two in the hedge as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Ear to the Ground will tell if there is a future in beef farming after the as break....I know the answer to that already...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

grange mac wrote: »
    Ear to the Ground will tell if there is a future in beef farming after the as break....I know the answer to that already...
    its a repeat, will be interesting to hear what last years outlook was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

Read the article the most standout statement is he makes more out of bough in cattle than out of his own.:eek:

wonder would last 3 weeks mart prices changed the costings in that ,. over last 3 weeks in Skibb mart calf prices have shot from average €180 to €300 for good calf while strong one easily beating €350.hd lim ch and Xs of
    i know i was told calf prices were in that range in Wexford and Galway area early in year but not around here so maybe argument is irrelevant but...
    prices for 15 month cattle are around €600 + kg for Ch lim while 26 month over 650 kg min cattle can vary from €480 to €550 for Ch lim . others 100 less
    less than 6oo kg could be drastically less +kg

Russian ban on EU products will be another stick to beat down beef prices!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Heard it this morning on the news as we were having breakfast and OH said "there is another excuse for the factories to down the prices". We have a double of mixed cows, boners and bullocks to get away for ourselves and some neighbours next week. See what happens...
    Although I think the pig farmers might be hit hard too as I understand a lot of Irish pork is exported to Russia.

• Advertisement

Why are they banning EU products?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Why are they banning EU products?
    Backlash over EU santions re Ukraine.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/07/russia-retaliates-western-sanctions-ban-food-imports

Base price wrote: »
    partly that and the Malaysian aircraft shoot down as well - which i personally recon the lions share of blame rests with Malaysia Airlines ,profit before passenger safety overflying War Zone air space -and other things. US having to be seen to act after publishing rocket and missile firing by Russia after Edward Snowdon's defection to Russia after publishing the extent of US worldwide surveillance of all Governments EU and Worldwide .The effects of squeeze on Russian top notchers and mafia or is it triad who have billions in investments in overseas banks in places mostly in east Mediterranean countries but worldwide IMO, these are now frozen and cant be accessed until this affair is over, however a lot of that will be sorted under the radar IMO. similar to what happened in some insolvent banking institutions allegedly a few years back,when risky funding ( Russian and other nationality allegedly) was moved(allegedly again after top level intervention) while normal investors money went down the swanny,so what else would you expect from loyal conscientious EU politicians elected to look after their own national interest and those of their countrymen in times like that. of course US Agri will now use this to get Gen Mod products into EU in return for allowing EU meat exports into US imo:(

pigmeat exports from Ireland to Russia have been banned since January ,dairy and beef banned and certain powder products since June. biggest hit may now be cheese as around 10,000 ton is exported to Russia annually. but meat factories will drop prices regardless of not exporting since June, think beef prices are being hit more by factories stalling than markets,and "nomadic" beef is right into their oil-can,wonder will NI and UK pressure to sort sheep sales to Republic help more to sort that issue than our misnter for agrifence

Beef prices will always fall as it's the 'fall'. Helps larry and his contract finishers stock up in the marts if beef prices are lower. He could be in for a surprise this autumn, lots of suckler cows gone in the last 2 years, especially in the west. I think some who got out of suckling have feed now and empty sheds. Wonder will there be more willy waving around mart rings this 'fall'?

Beef prices will always fall as it's the 'fall'. Helps larry and his contract finishers stock up in the marts if beef prices are lower. He could be in for a surprise this autumn, lots of suckler cows gone in the last 2 years, especially in the west. I think some who got out of suckling have feed now and empty sheds. Wonder will there be more willy waving around mart rings this 'fall'?

This autumn could go either way. Finishers are reluctant to commit without a price gaurantee. Lots of smaller lads will exit. Absent of friesian bull market will not help. This may stop prices rising. However Loads of silage and lads hate to see it sitting there. Also from October on 30 months cattle will be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Anyone use these and do they find them accurate enoughish ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I said wrote: »

Have one but never got round to using it yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

don't often post on this thread but here goes looking for some advise

have a bundle of aa & her type heifers i bought as weanlings last year,
    suckler stock , blocky lowish frames (mar /apr 2013) reckons about 420 kgs

have about 4 to 6 weeks good grass ,

what to do ?

1. start meal feeding and possible silage for last couple of weeks & kill November

2. grass for a couple more weeks & mart

3. house early , moderate meal and kill in spring

have shed space & silage if I sell before winter will most likely replace with weanlings

any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

jt65 wrote: »

what to do ?

1. start meal feeding and possible silage for last couple of weeks & kill November

have shed space & silage if I sell before winter will most likely replace with weanlings

any ideas ?

What colour are the herx heifers, the right colour might go well at the maiden heifer sales,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

I have one it's different brand bought it off magenta. Noticed it measured about 40-50kg more When I sold a few bullocks. So now I know to take that away when I weigh so yeah it's very good to have. A lot cheaper than a weigh scales. ;)

I used to help a local dairy farmer during calving season and he occasionally used a tape to measure the progress of his replacement (yearling +) heifers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

what to do ?

any ideas ?

Imo you wont see a whole lot of benefit from meal feeding angus and whiteheads too much. Their big advantage is finishing off grass. So to answer your options above.

1. No more than 2-3kg a head for last 6 weeks with good grass would be as much meal as i would do. If you selling in 3 months and doing that they should do another 60kg-70kg approx. Killout @51% or 52% with weight 480kg. Say beef price is 3.70. This is 950 approx incl bird bia. Input is meal really approx 40 euro per animal.

2. Mart: sell in couple weeks @ 430kg. Beef whithead and angus will get 2/kg. That's 860. Can then buy back and have 50kg on your replacement before housing.

3. Madness i think. Did it myself last year and lost money. Beef price doesn't justify shed finish at the moment. Cost/kg for weight gain too high.

so i reckon 2 but would sell soon. Stores a good trade now cause grass plentiful. When it tightens, price will drop.

think greengrass has one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

TUBBY wrote: »
    Imo you wont see a whole lot of benefit from meal feeding angus and whiteheads too much. Their big advantage is finishing off grass. So to answer your options above.

1. No more than 2-3kg a head for last 6 weeks with good grass would be as much meal as i would do. If you selling in 3 months and doing that they should do another 60kg-70kg approx. Killout @51% or 52% with weight 480kg. Say beef price is 3.70. This is 950 approx incl bird bia. Input is meal really approx 40 euro per animal.

2. Mart: sell in couple weeks @ 430kg. Beef whithead and angus will get 2/kg. That's 860. Can then buy back and have 50kg on your replacement before housing.

3. Madness i think. Did it myself last year and lost money. Beef price doesn't justify shed finish at the moment. Cost/kg for weight gain too high.

so i reckon 2 but would sell soon. Stores a good trade now cause grass plentiful. When it tightens, price will drop.

thanks
    think 2 is the best choice any how the feed merchants have had enough from me as it is.

@ Charliebull , they are black with almost black heads as well (hex on cards)

wouldn't be my choice for the bull more beefy and won't ever grow in sizable beasts.

what to do ?

any ideas ?
    id go 2 as well but not in big lots some farmer will bid on small numbers (down here anyway) but not in 5s or 6s. seen small numbers sell well but you are depending on buyers otherwise ( that would suit larry fine for his feedlots)

wouldn't put much store in newspaper analysis of Putin . he rules with an iron fist and recons Russians should support own brand as that sales will result in own bands(factories) getting finance to improve quality and profits. bit like opinion or attitude of no Export market for Irish live Beef to UK market supported by minister for tanks and tractors imo

sandydan wrote: »
    wouldn't put much store in newspaper analysis of Putin . he rules with an iron fist and recons Russians should support own brand as that sales will result in own bands(factories) getting finance to improve quality and profits. bit like opinion or attitude of no Export market for Irish live Beef to UK market supported by minister for tanks and tractors imo
    Minister for tanks and tractors..... i like that :D

Hey folks what would you think FR bullocks would make in the mart at the minute. Between 420-450kg. Good quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Hey folks what would you think FR bullocks would make in the mart at the minute. Between 420-450kg. Good quality.

Circa 1.50-1.60/kg, plain cattle meant to be well back in enniscorthy today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

From 200 with the weight down, depending on quality. Macroom Sat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

simx wrote: »

Tbh I think the cattle sales there ain't great, and a few fellas I know either going to Ross now or carnew

simx wrote: »

Noticed that the last day I was there.

Tbh I think the cattle sales there ain't great, and a few fellas I know either going to Ross now or carnew

Carnew is a nice spot ye wouldn't think its a mart pulling up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Carnew is a nice spot ye wouldn't think its a mart pulling up to it.

I've never been as I've never left enniscorthy mart. Maybe next spring I'll venture further afield but I'd be nervous going in to a new place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

I've never been as I've never left enniscorthy mart. Maybe next spring I'll venture further afield but I'd be nervous going in to a new place

The dealers might run them all up on you :eek:

Thought numbers in Enniscorthy were quite small now?

Reggie. wrote: »
    Minister for tanks and tractors..... i like that :D
    saw it on rag parade in Rosscarbery last Sunday evening , the local td copped and earful of should i say plackcards full of slang,re expectations of promotion in recent reshuffle in return for promoting idea of replacing existing council workers in places with lads getting €20 week + dole in 100 kmp zones like roundabouts, think they are limited to 50 km zones without flags and safety training afaik.
    a number of co council workers were threatened with sack allegedly, definitely were suspended for filling potholes they spotted without having various H&Safety trimmings in Co Cork in recent times . talk about red tape.

sandydan wrote: »
    saw it on rag parade in Rosscarbery last Sunday evening , the local td copped and earful of should i say plackcards full of slang,re expectations of promotion in recent reshuffle in return for promoting idea of replacing existing council workers in places with lads getting €20 week + dole in 100 kmp zones like roundabouts, think they are limited to 50 km zones without flags and safety training afaik.
    a number of co council workers were threatened with sack allegedly, definitely were suspended for filling potholes they spotted without having various H&Safety trimmings in Co Cork in recent times . talk about red tape.

Pure madness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

special weanling sale last night, it was bloddy depressing to see what some good quality stock was making

its going to be a long hard winter

• Advertisement
Advertisement