Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Honeymoon NYC>Orlando>Miami

Options
  • 19-07-2014 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

Early days but getting married in June 2016 and we were originally thinking of doing NYC then possibly Oahu. The girlfriend mentioned Florida and its somewhere I would love to go.

Im thinking 5 nights in NYC then fly to Orlando and spend 5 nights there and then drive to Miami and spend a few days there relaxing.

Hows this sound to everyone? Would there be anywhere you would recommend instead of Miami to have a relaxing few days?

Does my honeymoon idea sound completely crap?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I liked the 1st idea!

Unless you are big theme park fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Florida in June can be very hot and humid and it's the start of hurricane season..I would prefer the Gulf Coast to Miami though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Congratulations on the wedding.

The 5 nights in Orlando is to visit Disney? It seems like a long time, I'd have thought 2/3 max and then go somewhere by the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Florida in June can be very hot and humid and it's the start of hurricane season..I would prefer the Gulf Coast to Miami though

The OP won't have to worry about hurricanes that early in the summer. They are fairly rare in June. Mid August to mid October is when I'd start to think twice about booking a hollier in Florida, due to the weather.

OP, are you into theme parks & outlet mall shopping? That's about all there is in Orlando. June will be very, very hot and muggy. Doing the theme parks, or anything outdoor related, at that time of year, will be pretty tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Im not sure about Disney but would love to do Universal Studios, Sea World, Kennedy Space centre and Busch Gardens. Never really been to huge theme parks before besides Disney in Paris.

Someone suggested Anna Maria Island for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 myluck

Hi I have been to Orlando 5 times and never get sick of it,,, if u like theme parks then I would say more than 5 nites on the parks u mention abv thats 4 days 1 Park each day and if u want to go shopping u only have one day left.. We are going on honeymoon in Oct Washington 4 nites then Orlando 11 Nites and then Cruise around Bahams for 4 nites,,, You could always look at the 3 nite or 4 nite cruises out of Flordia which were very cheap for both of us we were really suprised... any way if u dont want all the theme parks and stuff that goes with it you could go to Clearwater or West Palm Beach both which are really out of this world I have been to both and would deffo go back to either of them ......

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Florida in June is a hot sticky mess. If I was you I'd go in the other direction - New England. Martha's Vineyard is beautiful and would be a romantic place to go on a Honeymoon. You can fly to it from NYC for around $200 direct round trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

damianmcr wrote: »
    Im not sure about Disney but would love to do Universal Studios, Sea World, Kennedy Space centre and Busch Gardens. Never really been to huge theme parks before besides Disney in Paris.

Someone suggested Anna Maria Island for a few days.

It's your honeymoon. Theme parks? Really?
    As I have said in other posts, "screw Orlando, you are grown ups now, so unless she's always wanted to meet Mickey, treat her like one."

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89168783&postcount=70

Here's an itinerary for a romantic trip through Florida and the South, but as others have said, that's a terrible time to be in FL, unless you like outdoor steam baths.
    MadsL wrote: »
    Errm - don't miss Austin would be my advice. But the Everglades are so, so wonderful and Jan is a good low mosquito time to see them.

You want romantic, right? Then how about a taste of the South, and historic hotels. You can pretend to be in Gone with the Wind much of the trip.

Firstly screw Orlando, you are grown ups now, so unless she's always wanted to meet Mickey, treat her like one.

Fly to Miami and stay in a classic historic South Beach hotel. Refined elegance and history. There are lots to choose from but here is an example.
    Now perhaps down to the Everglades, and kayak with alligators and crocodiles.
    Tours in the Glades is my recommendation.
    Handy spot to stay close by is in Homestead, and the Redland hotel It drops the elegance factor (and the cost) but still has an old-time American feel.
    Now - go see the Florida Keys, forget driving, you should be sipping cocktails and sneaking below decks for sexytime...so rent a boat :) There are any number of options, but a skippered boat will let you avoid the hell of the traffic in the Keys and let you two get some less stressful time than driving. Here's a starting point.
    http://www.sailboat-charters.com/honeymooners_dream_trip.htm

Now back on land..time to Salsa it up and party...how about Ybor City? Former 'cuban' cigar town and now a bit of a nightlife destination. Classic historic main street and great food. The Don Vicente hotel should fit the bill nicely. Or if you want some real privacy after the boat, how about these Bonita Casitas (Pretty Little Houses) as a one or two night rental.

Now, lets get out of Florida...go see Mickey if you really wish, I would do Universal personally, but since you are this side of FL. The best theme park in FL is Busch Gardens in Tampa. It has it all...

However before leaving FL, hit St Augustine, it vies with Sante Fe for the title of the US's oldest city, Sante Fe being abandoned after the Pueblo Revolt for a good few years. This 1885 Historic hotel should work its charm and give you Spanish accents...you will feel like you are in Mexican soap opera.

Onwards, North...to the South!! :D

Savannah. Most Southern women I know cannot pronounce it with sighing. Savannaaaaaaaah.

As cotton is so central to the story of the South, why not stay in an old cotton factory in the heart of the historic district.
    http://www.historichotels.org/hotels-resorts/river-street-inn/ Why I do declare!!

Onwards to Charleston...

Now there are no shortage of places with the Scarlet O'Hara factor in South Carolina, but why not just go for it and stay in a cotton baron's mansion. Frankly my dear...that is incredible...

A spin back to Miami ends your trip, either in one days long driving - down that spectacular coastline I might add, and a night at somewhere nice in Miami...try downtown and Cuban food, and dancing. The Intercontinental is nice and has a fab restaurant.

So much more romantic and something to remember rather than Orlando and sharing hotels with overly spoilt children don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Florida is where Americans go in the winter to avoid the bad weather.

In the summer its a humid swamp. Unless you're beside a beach, in which case it can be more bearable.

Advertisement