Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot of the press Weatherspoons and Swords

Options
  • 19-07-2014 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard Weatherspoons coming to Swords Aug 19th. Not in the Lamb but at the Old Boro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

The location may be correct (nothing confirmed obviously), but I'd be shocked if the date was.

Less than a month from now, with no work or recruitment carried out. And its not listed on their website as coming soon. November/December is more likely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Just heard Weatherspoons coming to Swords Aug 19th. Not in the Lamb but at the Old Born.

Where's the '' Old Born''?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Where's the '' Old Born''?

The Old Boro perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    The location may be correct (nothing confirmed obviously), but I'd be shocked if the date was.

Less than a month from now, with no work or recruitment carried out. And its not listed on their website as coming soon. November/December is more likely
    I know a lad from swords working in the one that just opened in town, he's being transfered to swords when it opens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Probably the best place for it. Never really liked the old boro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I've heard the same that it's confirmed for the Old Boro and they are keeping on the existing staff too.

Can't say i was fond of the place once people stopped going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Mr Simpson wrote: »

I'd imagine staff will transfer over and the name over the door is all that will change initially

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Went back to Wales last week for my daughters graduation, popped into the local Wetherspoons, must have been a lucky time as they were bang in the middle of their 'Cider Festival'/

If you're heading over to the UK or up North i suggest ya pop in, some GREAT ciders on offer, and a few that were.....not so great :pac::pac:

2.50 a pint of ya could have 3 1/3pint tasters for the same price, leathered i was!!

Here's what they had on offer, let's hope they bring these 'Festivals' over here

IMAG0208_zpse2f4a3fc.jpg

IMAG0209_zpsfd3b65bb.jpg

IMAG0210_BURST002_zpsfd7a1df7.jpg

IMAG0211_zpsee80d7c9.jpg

Let's keep it local. You've already posted in the B/W/S forum about this. Ta.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Let's keep it local. You've already posted in the B/W/S forum about this. Ta.

tHB

Sorry, didn't realise there was a rule about not posting the same thing in different threads.

How many of your 'local' people will go in that forum?

Are you on a commission? Keep it local please. If you have an issue - PM me.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

scudzilla wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't realise there was a rule about not posting the same thing in different threads.

How many of your 'local' people will go in that forum?

Probably about as many of us that are popping over to Wales for a drink! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

In an article in the Irish Times last week, the Wetherspoon's chairman said they'd just signed contracts on the Swords pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

In an article in the Irish Times last week, the Wetherspoon's chairman said they'd just signed contracts on the Swords pub.

See that Wetherspoons are looking for pp for a 14 bedroom hotel, maybe Swords is starting to look up again

From Fingalcoco.ie ( can't post link as on mobile at moment)
    change of use at 1st floor level from ancillary pub storage (permission granted for a restaurant under F01A/1285 was not implemented), to Guesthouse accommodation. A total of 14 no. en-suite bedrooms are proposed with ancillary storage and laundry rooms. The development includes internal alterations and works at ground floor include a new internal hotel lobby, repairs to existing window and balconies, new mechanical plant

Planning apps
    F14a/0458 and 0459

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Great news really looking forward to this opening

Might be a long wait yet, previous owners applied in 2009 for 16 bedrooms, refused by FCC and also refused on appeal.

F09A/0625
    Works to a protected structure. Development consists of change of use of previously granted 200 seater restaurant reg. ref. F01A/1285 at first floor level, to guesthouse accommodation comprising 16 no. ensuite bedrooms with ancillary storage, office, laundry and meeting rooms. Development includes minor changes to rear elevation, new raised floor and internal demolitions and alterations, all at first floor level.
    On 02-Feb-2010, a decision REFUSE PERMISSION was made by Fingal County Council on this application. Subsequently, an appeal was lodged on 01-Mar-2010 and a decision to Refuse Permission was made by An Bord Pleanala on 05-Jul-2010.
    Reason
    Reason The development of the kind proposed would be premature by reference to the existing lack of wastewater treatment capacity in the Swords wastewater treatment plant and the period within which the constraints involved may reasonably be expected to cease. It is considered therefore that the proposed development would be prejudicial to public health and would be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.
    Reason The proposed development located in close proximity to the heavily trafficked junction of the Malahide Road and Main St. would by reason of the intensification of use at this location including a lack of sufficient dedicated car parking together with an increase in associated traffic movements, would endanger public safety by reason of a traffic hazard and would be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

Can't see any of those conditions changed TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

So, If they do open soon, there will be

No

Guinness
    Murphy's
    Heinekin

http://www.newstalk.com/Wetherspoons-cut-Heineken-from-all-its-UK-and-Irish-pubs-after-Dun-Laoghaire-row

so I won't be going :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I hope Weatherspoons are a huge success (here and elsewhere in Ireland) and make these breweries come crawling back begging for business.

martinn123 wrote: »

No

Guinness
    Murphy's
    Heinekin

http://www.newstalk.com/Wetherspoons-cut-Heineken-from-all-its-UK-and-Irish-pubs-after-Dun-Laoghaire-row

You'll just have to drink decent beers...

On a more serious note
    Wetherspoon's has been working with the company for over 35 years and their contract is thought to be worth £60m (€76m). Heineken is Ireland's most popular draft lager.

€76m is no small drop in revenue for Heineken UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Cheap beer. Mmmmmmmm

I'll have to rally the old troops for an all dayer when it opens ! :)

And then take a week off work ot recover :(

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

The man who owns this franchise was daydreaming one day in class and his teacher Mr/Mrs (cant recall) Weatherspoon announced he will never amount to anything. He duly packed his bag and said 'just you wait and see'. Called the chain after the teacher clearly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Is it actually opening in Swords?

Lux23 wrote: »
    Is it actually opening in Swords?

They have brought the Old Boro and have a planning application in for it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93156151&postcount=16

current and proposed floorplans
    http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00482452.pdf
    planning app report
    http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00482417.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Cant wait till it opens up,wil give the other Swords pubs a wake up call!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

martinn123 wrote: »

No

Guinness
    Murphy's
    Heinekin

http://www.newstalk.com/,Wetherspoons-cut-Heineken-from-all-its-UK-and-Irish-pubs-after-Dun-Laoghaire-row

Attitudes like this are just the reason drink prices are so high in Ireland. It was the same attitude that kept supermarket prices so high until we realised the world didn't revolve around Fairy, Coke and Kelloggs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

desbrook wrote: »
    Attitudes like this are just the reason drink prices are so high in Ireland. It was the same attitude that kept supermarket prices so high until we realised the world didn't revolve around Fairy, Coke and Kelloggs!!

Attitudes, like this, with a Smiley at the end, suggest its a little joke.

Remember those?

Happy Xmas, have a beer, chill out.

I notice that the 18th. Dec 2014 was the last date for objections etc. Nothing new under planning app F14a/0458 and 0459, so does anyone live near enought to the council offices to ask what the story is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I notice that the 18th. Dec 2014 was the last date for objections etc. Nothing new under planning app F14a/0458 and 0459, so does anyone live near enought to the council offices to ask what the story is?

Website?

• Advertisement

desbrook wrote: »
    Website?

Fingalcoco.ie has nothing to add, I think only a personal visit to the planning office is going to yield any information

Advertisement