Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Certificate

Options
  • 19-07-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm tearing my hair out! I applied for a police certificate and received a letter saying that they only now give them to people going to Australia or Canada! What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I'm tearing my hair out! I applied for a police certificate and received a letter saying that they only now give them to people going to Australia or Canada! What should I do?

Where exactly did you apply for a police certificate ? If you mean Garda clearance you should just be able to ask your local Garda station - I'm not aware of any restriction on issuing them - It's not even any of their business where you're going ! I've had one for South Africa quite recently.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=2742&Lang=1

If you're being messed about by some unhelpful git who is just trying to fob you off just apply again and tell them this time that you're going to Australia or Canada ! .;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

You apply to the superintendent of your local station.

If you received that information from them, I would just give them a ring and ask them to clarify when/how this policy was started. Ask them what the alternative is.

I got my first one over 5 years ago and it was more more hassle because they were not so familiar with the process but i've gotten 2 since then. One for Korea and one for China and it was quick and painless. They were very helpful about it. Maybe your local station isn't familiar with the process.

Long Gone wrote: »

If you're being messed about by some unhelpful git who is just trying to fob you off just apply again and tell them this time that you're going to Australia or Canada ! .;)

It usually says at the top: only for the consular purposes of XX country so I wouldn't think that this is the best idea.

But on the other hand, it's China, so they probably won't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It usually says at the top: only for the consular purposes of XX country so I wouldn't think that this is the best idea.

Quiet the contrary. China Will care.

It certainly didn't say that on mine.....

Why should it ? - You've either got a clear Garda record or you haven't. What difference does it make which country you're using the certificate for ? As I've already said, it's not even any of their business - All they need to know is that you want a clearance certificate.

• Advertisement

Long Gone wrote: »
    It certainly didn't say that on mine.....

Why should it ? - You've either got a clear Garda record or you haven't. What difference does it make which country you're using the certificate for ? As I've already said, it's not even any of their business - All they need to know is that you want a clearance certificate.

Maybe it is a difference of Garda stations/superintendents because I had to provide a reason for requesting it. I've had 3 in total now and at the top it says:

This certificate is issued solely for the information of the Chinese consular authorities.

It then lists my DOB and permanent address and previous addresses in Ireland.

Maybe each station has their own way of doing it.

Quiet the contrary. China Will care.

I guess I should point out that that was just a flippant comment based on the fact that in my experience the visa/residence permit process for China is a little less thorough than other countries.

When I went to work in Korea, the process was very strict and everything had to be done to an absolute T.

I didn't have that experience when applying to China.

I guess I should point out that that was just a flippant comment based on the fact that in my experience the visa/residence permit process for China is a little less thorough than other countries.

When I went to work in Korea, the process was very strict and everything had to be done to an absolute T.

I didn't have that experience when applying to China.

I've had loads of experience applying to China. The problem is that with China (unlike most other countries) there appears to be no fixed rules that they apply - The way you're treated depends on whose desk your application lands and what day of the week... Sometimes certain Chinese embassys do things completely contrary to the way that they should be done - Someone on a power trip presumably.

A lot of the time the person handing the application appears to have moved into the job straight from the paddy fields...... A bit like applying for Garda clearance at your local Garda station now that I think about it ! .:D

Advertisement