Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old cemetery near Dunboyne ?

Options
  • 19-07-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi. Pobably a strange question but I am trying to locate a graveyard near Dunboyne but I only have very vague recolections of where it was. I think it was on one of the roads out of the town and was quite a bit out in the countryside. I've had a look on google maps and can't see anything marked. It was in use up to the early 1990's.

Would any locals maybe know of where I could be thinking of. And whether it is possible to reach it by public transport or on foot by walking from Dunboyne.

Thanks if anyone has any suggestions. Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

Hi

Have a look a Rooske Cemetry it is outside Dunboyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

Is it Loughsallagh? On the left hand side outside Dunboyne on the way to Clonee. It's definitely walkable from Dunboyne but also on the 70 or 270 bus routes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

The 2 there are the only ones I know of, if you went over a big bridge it was the Loughsallagh one, if you went past the GAA pitch it was the Rooske Road. Both would have been fairly countryside but the Loughsallagh one would have the bus running up and down, it would have been on the main road into Dunboyne from Dublin

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Here's the Rooske one:
    https://goo.gl/maps/jJgsa

Probably around a mile out of the village, don't know of any bus out that way so it's a case of drive/cycle/walk from Dunboyne.

I wasn't even aware of the other (Loughsallagh) one.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

And here's Loughsallagh https://goo.gl/maps/m3ykR

It's an easy walk out from the village, there's a footpath the whole way. I don't think there's parking outside it though. The Rooske Road cemetery is on a windy country road so it's not the easiest to walk to, but does have place for cars to pull in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Sounds like it would be Rooske you’re talking about – its about a 15 minute walk from the village (See map above). Its still very much in use and quite large compared to Loughsallagh which only has around 50 graves so you might be able to guess which from this as Rooske was much bigger even in the 90s.

Loughsallagh is also rarely used (heard of one burial there this year but I thought it had been closed for 30 years or so so chances are that if you were at a funeral in the 90s then it was indeed Rooske.

No public transport to Rooske but it is walkable. Good footpaths as far as the GAA club and you’re on a windy narrow road from there for about the last 500 metres of so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

There’s also a Church of Ireland graveyard dating back to the 1700s but its in the village more or less so if you think you travelled into the countryside then I doubt its this one

Advertisement