Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

satellite broadband questions

Options
  • 19-07-2014 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

So to keep things short I live on Achill island off the coast of mayo. There is no land line broadband and the only options we have are either "3" or satellite broadband. So I've been with 3 for the past 5 years I'd say and the speeds have been....bareable I suppose, around 200-500 kbs, but for the past 2 years the speed has dropped to around 40 kbs, I've phoned them so many times telling them that its not fair that I'm on a contract with them and the speed is this slow and recently its gotten to a stage where it sometimes wont even work. Maybe its because of my location on the island is one the most rural (trees and mountains all around me), but they still won't fix it. So im thinking of switching to satellite broadband (I was thinking "onwave" 22mbs) so I have a few questions about it.

1.) Will I be able to get it where I'm from because its satellite?
    2.) Will the speed be atleast better than 1mbps
    3.) How is satellite broadband for gameing online? This question is crucial
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Badwulf wrote: »
    So to keep things short I live on Achill island off the coast of mayo. There is no land line broadband and the only options we have are either "3" or satellite broadband. So I've been with 3 for the past 5 years I'd say and the speeds have been....bareable I suppose, around 200-500 kbs, but for the past 2 years the speed has dropped to around 40 kbs, I've phoned them so many times telling them that its not fair that I'm on a contract with them and the speed is this slow and recently its gotten to a stage where it sometimes wont even work. Maybe its because of my location on the island is one the most rural (trees and mountains all around me), but they still won't fix it. So im thinking of switching to satellite broadband (I was thinking "onwave" 22mbs) so I have a few questions about it.

1.) Will I be able to get it where I'm from because its satellite?
    2.) Will the speed be atleast better than 1mbps
    3.) How is satellite broadband for gameing online? This question is crucial

Does digi web not do one?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Well I looked up some review on "Onwave" and I don't think I'll be getting that anymore :pac: any ideas?

Does digi web not do one?

I'm looking for one that will give me at least 15 gigs or more per month, anything lower and I'll go through it in a day :L

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Not suitable for online gaming at all - they even say so on their website.

You could be looking at ping times in the 700 to 800 ms range.

I'm looking for one that will give me at least 15 gigs or more per month, anything lower and I'll go through it in a day :L

Well I looked up reviews for omwave and ugh. All one start bar 2.

• Advertisement

Which one? Omwave ,digi web?

We on about onwave here or all satalite broadband in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Another option on Achill is Westnet a Fixed Wireless Provider, they seem to cover most of Achill

You could contact them and ask if they can provide a service to you.

http://www.westnet.ie
    Phone: 1850 930 306

Give it a go it'll be infinitely better than satellite if you can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Westnet are on Minaun, if you don't have line of sight from your chimey can you find a location within ~80m of your house that sees the masts clearly**? Would be a much better option than satellite

**may require you to run a cat5 cable through some black hydrodare pipe to your house, they will not run this themselves, it would be up to you

Westnet are on Minaun, if you don't have line of sight from your chimey can you find a location within ~80m of your house that sees the masts clearly**? Would be a much better option than satellite

**may require you to run a cat5 cable through some black hydrodare pipe to your house, they will not run this themselves, it would be up to you

Could they not just build a bit of scafold ontop of my house?

• Advertisement

Could they not just build a bit of scafold ontop of my house?

Do whatever it takes, they won't go higher than a few meters above your roof. Satellite is a hopeless option that should only be considered when all other avenues have failed

And is westnet fast/good for gaymen online? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As above fw is your best bet. You can have a large poll fitted yourself then gget the provider to fit the dish.

If for some reason you won't be able to see their mast putting your three modem in a weathersealed box on a similar pole will help improve signal strength a good bit. If the three mast is overloaded though that won't do much.

Lmfao at the auto correct typo :)

Yes, it is real broadband which can't be said for satellite or three for that matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I had digiweb sat broadband..,its was awful, but not as awful as theyre customer service.

So bad, im actually taking legal action against them soon to get my install fees back.

Avoid them whatever you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

We on about onwave here or all satalite broadband in general?

All satellite broadband.

A round trip travels anything up to 100,000 miles through free space so its nearly half a second just pure transmission time.

3 has the worst customer service, not to sound raciest but its ALL indians who don't know a lick of english, when I mentioned somthing called a "Laptop" the person on the other end legit said to me "What is laptop?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Haha... Why do you've that word added to your dictionary? ;)

Naughty Naughty.

Lol, as others have said avoid satellite at all costs, you will not be able to game and the usage caps are miserable.

All this talk of rural broadband makes me so grateful I live in the town and get 100/20. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 downthetubes

had this so called service. Eventually on first name terms with their customer services & engineers.

Lots of time spent with them, nearly on Christmas card list!

Agreed to recommended update but it didnt happen.

Tooway is a good service but please give reseller onwave a by.

Better still bye bye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Three lol you would be looking at maybe 0.20 Mb/s in the evening when everyone is online glad i have DSL and soon VDSL also 4G now on my Vodafone WiFi modem cos 3 aint worth wasting your time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement