Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off

Options
  • 19-07-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw a promo for this year's series.

It usually starts in mid-late August so it should be on in the next month or so. This year it's on BBC1 and they'll also have a show afterwards on BBC2. They filmed the pilot for the BBC2 show last week. This is the description from the audience ticket website from when they were looking for audience members for the pilot:
    This year, The Great British Bake Off will be moving to BBC1. Taking up residency on BBC2 will be a new sister show, An Extra Slice, which will bring witty & intelligent analysis of the main show. Each week, our resident host will be joined by a panel of Celebrity Bake Off fans who will look at back at key moments & bakes from this week’s episode. We’ll also interview the latest eliminated baker live in studio and feature unseen footage from the Bake Off tent.

An Extra Slice would love every member of the studio audience to be involved in the show by bringing in a bake from home, in keeping with the week’s Bake Off theme. The theme for the pilot show, to be recorded on Friday 11th July, is Sweet Dough. This includes bakes such as Danish Pastries, Brioche, iced buns etc. The most interesting audience bakes may be featured on the show itself and details of the permitted ingredients and suggested recipes will be included on the tickets. We want to see brilliant bakes, disastrous bakes & creative bakes! The most interesting bakes whether they be good or bad are most likely to feature on the show.

An Extra Slice is a show for fans of Bake Off – when one helping just simply won’t do!

Looking forward to it. It will be nice to see the reactions of others after the show.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Tweet earlier today that the new series starts 6th July at 8pm on BBC One. Can't wait :D

Sorry can't post a link as I'm on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

6th August?

Yay! That's really soon.

And An Extra Slice will be starting on the 8th August. Jo Brand is presenting it.

Another promo here where we actually get to see the contestants and some of the things they baked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Only 1 more sleep - woohooo :o:o

• Advertisement

This is what they'll be baking in the first episode.
    As they enter the tent for the very first time, their first Signature Challenge is to make a swiss roll. But with such a seemingly simple challenge comes a risk - who will have the tightest roll? Whose roll will split? Should the bakers go for the classic or push the boat out to impress?

Recovering from their first challenge, they face their first ever Technical Challenge. It's cake week... it's a Mary recipe... it's a classic cherry cake. But will the bakers be able to suspend the cherries and ice their cakes to the exacting standard of Ms Berry?

As the next day dawns so does the Showstopper. The bakers must make classic British cakes... in perfect miniature... all 36 of them...

And this is week two.
    One week down. Having survived cakes, the remaining 11 bakers are tested on biscuits.

Serving up signature savoury biscuits, the bakers must push themselves on flavour to create biscuits that go well with a cheese course, and Sue learns the dirty secret behind the invention of the ice cream cone and the start of the UK ice cream industry.

In the technical challenge Mary sets the bakers her recipe for florentines. With their chewy caramel sauce and lacy brandy snap texture covered in tempered chocolate, the bakers must follow Mary's basic instructions, adding up to a more exacting bake than expected.

And finally a showstopper like no other - in the most ambitious biscuit challenge to date, the bakers are challenged to create three-dimensional biscuit scenes. They can make any scene they like as long as it is made entirely from biscuits and doesn't fall over... easier said than done in the Bake Off tent. The bakers are really put under scrutiny as the biscuits must taste as good as they look, as the judges make their decision about who will leave the Bake Off tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Oh, I thought it was starting on Saturday morning, that must be the repeat!...

So looking forward to this, thanks for the info lads!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Here we gooooo!

Here we go!.....

I should have made something to munch while I'm watching this!

Snap Dee!!........ :)

• Advertisement

Here we go!.....

I should have made something to munch while I'm watching this!

I just had a Mars ice cream, does that count? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

I need cake!!

Lol, the Love Engine with Paul sounds like fun!!.....

Some of the lads look like children.....

I'm getting old!

I want to be Mary Berry when I grow up :)

oh, I'm not an aniseed fan at all....

Yay Bake Off!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Evening all, SO excited !!! I even skipped my yoga class to watch tonight.
    Mmmmmm Mr Hollywood is so easy on the eye ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The Billy family are all lined up on the sofa & fully engrossed. :)

jos28 wrote: »
    Evening all, SO excited !!! I even skipped my yoga class to watch tonight.

***grins and looks at the blue eyes***

;)

• Advertisement

oh, I'm not an aniseed fan at all....
    15g sounds like a massive amount, it's gonna taste like Gaviscon I fear!
    I hate aniseed in sweet stuff, it's ok in savoury stuff though, I think it's in Chinese 5 spice

wow, four children that look under 4!....

Surprised he has time for cooking at all!....

Nooooooo. He's a sleazy sleazebag. And not a good looking one!

Wow their ideas for presentation look brilliant! I feel a baking binge coming on... my poor, already non-existent waistline :(

***grins and looks at the blue eyes***

;)

You and me both GSW ;) Hope your summer is going well.

They are some fancy swiss rolls being made tonight

You and me both GSW ;) Hope your summer is going well.

They are some fancy swiss rolls being made tonight

Ah, I know he was a bad boy......but he said he was sorry....apparently!....:o

It's a bit better than the usual swiss we get in the shop, aren't they??.....

Nooooooo. He's a sleazy sleazebag. And not a good looking one!

How dare you !! I challenge you to a duel at dawn (armed with swiss rolls :D)

Any Irish connections with the contestants tonight

Ah, I love Norman already!.....

The Irish tent looks like a wendy house compared to the inside of this tent!

• Advertisement

Oh, his poor shaky hands.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement