Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Change Conditions for Free Banking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Time to look at PTSB me thinks. Been with them for nearly 20 years. Every which way to screw the punter

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yep, anyone with UB should now switch to PTSB, simple as that really. Same goes for anyone holding BoI or AIB accounts. There's no reason whatsoever to maintain a personal current account with a bank that has charges that can't be avoided when PTSB make it relatively easy to do so. If even 30% of customers were prepared to get off their arses and move then no bank would be charging 20 cent for an electronic transfer that involves no human interaction. They feed off people's inertia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Not surprised this was brought out. RBS are really looking to shrink the bank. Branch closures across the island. Its still the a huge burden for RBS to carry and this will serve to drive away custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The main motivation behind this move is to increase revenues rather than loose customers.

RBS are looking for ways out of Ulster Bank. A private equity sale of part / all of Ulster Bank Republic of Ireland looks very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cheekypup

It's a pity they screw their customers like this, been with them since I started my first job 20 years ago. My first few holidays, my first car were all loans through Ulster Bank, the staff were always so friendly, probably still are, I've only seen them recently when the computer glitches occured. You can't even ring your local branch anymore without getting through to a call centre. When they first introduced their charges last year, I recieved notification by post, email and also a message on the anytime banking, the first I heard of the new fee conditions was on Matt Cooper Show yesterday. I'm not sure the fees alone would have prompted me leave but zero customer service as well has. I feel like it's like the end of a relationship where i'm been given subtle hints to f@#k off and find somebody else. I have a date with PTSB next Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Is this just ROI Ulster Bank or does it affect NI Ulster Bank as well?

RoI only.

RBS are not charging fees to NI customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Were they not already charging customers four euro a month if they haddnt a minimum balance?

Ulster back RoI previously has two different waivers. One was around lodgements and the other was around minimum balances.

Ulster now just have one waiver. 3,000 EUR minimum balance each and every day that had opportunity cost attached to it.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Switching to Permo is the best option for most.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Problem with me is I live in Canada so don't know if I can switch
    If you can read and understand German then you could try to open an account with DKB (my bank). No fees whatsoever, regardless of balance or lodgements (in fact they pay 0.2% interest on current accounts). They will take you if you have a decent job, but will probably reject you if not.

Your identity would have to be proven. They will accept another bank's stamp on the (English) form or if your bank won't do that, they'll accept a notary public/lawyer. Might be an option for you. They are fully SEPA compliant so it's no problem setting up direct debits to Irish accounts etc. if you need to and you use their VISA card to withdraw cash (for free...and their exchange rates are fair).

Yes. In theory at least. They have a process for identification for non-residents but as I said, they favour German speakers or at least those who can understand German. They will not offer any customer service in English and don't promise to either.

The bank is a wholly owned subsidiary of the State Bank of Bavaria so deposits are guaranteed by the German Federal Government without limit (in contrast to the private "big" banks like Deutsche Bank, Commerzbank etc. where only 100k is guaranteed)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Just switched this morning, glad to be shot of them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 asingrang

just the kick i need to get rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

Permanent TSB it is for my day to day business. I refuse to have 3000€ sitting unworked in my current account to waive 4€ per month!

Got the letter today. Kicking in the 19th September. How long before the 3,000 becomes even more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Got the letter today.

Same here. 3 weeks notice does not seem like adequate notice to me.

Ditch them. PTSB will happily take your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Do PTSB issue you with a visa debit card?

I think I'll get out of ulster bank after reading this.

Bhangraman wrote: »
    Permanent TSB it is for my day to day business. I refuse to have 3000€ sitting unworked in my current account to waive 4€ per month!

3000€ is a lot of money to be sitting in a current account that I only use for pass card. What about skimming and all that fraud. I only ever keep a couple of hundred euro in my pass card account

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

mondeo wrote: »
    Do PTSB issue you with a visa debit card?

I think I'll get out of ulster bank after reading this.

They sure do - I moved from BOI to PTSB when BOI brought in charges - it made me so happy knowing that I'm not paying BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Wife switched from BOI to PTSB too when they introducted fees. Took me a little longer. I was an AIB customer for 25 years and AIB had assigned me a personal banking rep. who happened to call me earlier in the summer. The rep asked if they could do anything to assist with my day to day banking and I replied by asking for a waiver on the 2500 euro cap to get free banking. Needless to say I was wasting my breath...Switching is a little complicated for me, but it will be worth it and fingers crossed PTSB don't get in on the fees act now.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

murphaph wrote: »
    Ditch them. PTSB will happily take your business.

It's PTSB +1, Ulster Bank -1.

I'm a serial switch anyway having previously gone from NIB to Halifax (to think they used to pay €15 per month credit interest on a current account!) and back to NIB (when Halifax closed) and then to Ulster Bank when NIB introduced charges 2 years ago.

I rang the freephone helpline number on the Ulster Bank letter earlier today. Had to laugh when a recorded message said that due to an "Emergency" they could not take any calls. More disgruntled customers than they could deal with, more like.

Bye Bye Ulster Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Do PTSB charge for making online purchases with your debit card? Do they charge for making purchases instore with the debit card in general? I can't seem to find that info on their site.

mondeo wrote: »
    Do PTSB charge for making online purchases with your debit card? Do they charge for making purchases instore with the debit card in general? .

No. They don't charge for either of these two things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Im with PTSB and have been for a long time. I don't have an income of €1500 a month to get free fees so am thinking of leaving them because of that. The conditions of my savings account are that I can only make 2 withdrawals a year without penalty. So unless I change that account its costing me €50 a year to be with PTSB

Advertisement