Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Change Conditions for Free Banking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Im with PTSB and have been for a long time. I don't have an income of €1500 a month to get free fees so am thinking of leaving them because of that. The conditions of my savings account are that I can only make 2 withdrawals a year without penalty. So unless I change that account its costing me €50 a year to be with PTSB

Set up a second savings account.

PTSB Online Instant Access has no withdrawal conditions.

You can transfer multiple amounts back and forth until you adhere to the 1.5k condition.

I bet it will only be a matter of time before PTSB change the conditions and introduce some sort of fees in the future.

Right now they may be getting people to switch over from Ulster/BOI/AIB but some day they will decide right we managed to get enough people to switch now lets hit them with extra charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Does anyone else have something like the equivalent of a uFirst / uFirst Gold benefits account?

I bet it will only be a matter of time before PTSB change the conditions and introduce some sort of fees in the future.

PTSB are heavily advertising free banking as their key offering. PTSB are advertising banking fees as "sensless". It would be a major about face to turn around and start charging fees. Can't see them doing it anytime soon.

Also, PTSB have a history of only applying new T&C's to new account holders. Hence, PTSB might create a new current account product if they do apply fees. Meaning, the fees will not apply to existing account holders.

Conversely, PTSB may not exist, in its current form, in the years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

was just coming on here to ask about this, I managed to avoid this fee till now, I have a current and a joint account so id end up paying 8 euro a month for the pleasure of banking with Ulster Bank, only problem I have is I have a loan with them.

Are PTSB the last bank left not to charge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Etnies wrote: »
    Are PTSB the last bank left not to charge?

All retail banks, except BoI, offer free banking, subject to waivers. PTSB have the easiest waiver criteria to meet.

Patww79 wrote: »

What 'horrendous' documents did PTSB request for a remote application?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

testicle wrote: »
    Does anyone else have something like the equivalent of a uFirst / uFirst Gold benefits account?

I have the U first gold account and I'm hanginng on to it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

As someone who's just gone through the process I can tell you it is not 'horrendous' at all.
    I have moved banks a number of times in the last few years and PTSB are no different than any of the other banks, BOI, AIB, Ulster et al. They all require the same or similar documents.

You are failing to provide the detail of your alleged 'horrendous documentation' experience. All banks require AML documentation and a few forms to complete. It is not out of the ordinary and a legal requirement.

I have opened many PTSB accounts without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

..so why didn't you visit the branch. I'm sure the experience wouldn't have been much different :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    I have the U first gold account and I'm hanginng on to it

Likewise!

Just a reminder that the Ulster Bank charges have come into play this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

It's PTSB +1, Ulster Bank -1.

I'm a serial switch anyway having previously gone from NIB to Halifax (to think they used to pay €15 per month credit interest on a current account!) and back to NIB (when Halifax closed) and then to Ulster Bank when NIB introduced charges 2 years ago.

I rang the freephone helpline number on the Ulster Bank letter earlier today. Had to laugh when a recorded message said that due to an "Emergency" they could not take any calls. More disgruntled customers than they could deal with, more like.

Bye Bye Ulster Bank.

It's now 3 months since I switched, and I've been pleasantly surprised by PTSB.

Unlike my experience with Ulster Bank, PTSB
    - have machines in branches where you can deposit cheques (rather than a wooden postbox)
    - I don't get problems caused by duplicate direct debit listings on-line for the same payee
    - I'm not being charged when my current account falls below €3k (and even get a couple of €s credit interest)

The switching process is far from foolproof - 3 or 4 of my direct debits failed to be properly transferred and required intervention, but it's hard to say whether the fault was the originating bank's for not telling them or the recipients for having inadequate administration processes (my guess is the latter given that it worked okay for the majority of payees).

All in all, I'm not sorry I left, and Ulster Bank's 3 weeks notice of the changes in T&C was pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

http://group.ulsterbank.com/media/press-releases/republic-of-ireland/2015/12-03-31.ashx

From April 20th 2015, customers will, for the first time, be able to make cash deposits in any Post Office nationwide or avail of cheque acceptance in designated Post Offices. They will also be able to pay their Ulster Bank credit card bills using cash or debit card at any Post Office.

Advertisement