Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri Grand Prix Kilkenny times

Options
  • 19-07-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Anyone else not get times for the above event ....
    Not alone did I have a barney with herself for doing the event ... You know the usual always training etc....
    But then go and and not get any time at all ...
    And also the times other people have done seem to be all over the shop..with this no race zone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I got an overall time but my splits are all over the shop.

It was always going to be the case with the non race zone.

It's early days though so everyone will probably get a time eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I got an overall time but my splits are all over the shop.

It was always going to be the case with the non race zone.

It's early days though so everyone will probably get a time eventually.

The splits are defo all over the shop
    Eoin molloy won it but his splits don't add up at all

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Turtle001

If you search specifically for your name using the search on the page it may come up - it did for mine whne I couldn't in the overall results.

When you go into your specific results, look in the split times for the run and it'll show your overall time.

Agree on the times being a bit all over the place as it is not clear what happened in transition e.g. I time my run as 52 mins however my result is showing 1:01.

Also one guy I met said that the swim was 1200 metres on his garmin however I didn't speak to anyone else with such fancy technology

Turtle001 wrote: »
    If you search specifically for your name using the search on the page it may come up - it did for mine whne I couldn't in the overall results.

When you go into your specific results, look in the split times for the run and it'll show your overall time.

Agree on the times being a bit all over the place as it is not clear what happened in transition e.g. I time my run as 52 mins however my result is showing 1:01.

Also one guy I met said that the swim was 1200 metres on his garmin however I didn't speak to anyone else with such fancy technology

It not coming up on the search for my name or bib number Nothing..

The question as well is on my garmin for the bike I started it on the timing may at the race start may ie: after the no race zone .. And stopped coming back in .. As I was doing the sprint .. It says 17.9 km ... The winning sprint bike time was 36 mins ... For 17.9 km that's way off ...
    I just can't make sense of the times at all ...

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭aidanor

My time is also off, no bike time and a combined bike and run time, from what i can see the splits include transition and overall time doesnt... but my time is including transitions.. i mailed them but prob wont get a reply..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Slothy

The times are all over the place, and no transition times. My swim is right though as i timed it. The cycle and runs are totally wrong.
    If they dont fix the output and post proper times with transitions, it's a total waste of time and money doing this event. Very disappointing.

Slothy wrote: »
    The times are all over the place, and no transition times. My swim is right though as i timed it. The cycle and runs are totally wrong.
    If they dont fix the output and post proper times with transitions, it's a total waste of time and money doing this event. Very disappointing.

I totally agree , I have no time what so ever as had to do the race with no watch as I forgot it ...
    It is really disappointing ... A lot of the enjoyment of any race is dissecting your times and comparing to everyone else ...

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnswerIs42

My times have been updated since yesterday. Dropped from and hour 5 mins run to 56 min but the overall time stayed the same.

Still no transition times though

just checked and my time for the run has changed but no bike time and the total is still wrong! bit of a disappointment as it was my first olympic and would have liked to see how i did..

I just checked again there now.

Everything seems to be in order now. Overall time is the same and bang on time for my watch. I'd say they subtracted the dead zone times and just didn't remove the dead zone times from the first published split times.

Happy enough now its been cleared up but I'll be out running after this post. Glacial springs to mind.

Still not a fan of the route or lack of a mat/carpet from river to transition plus the tourists on the stairwell didn't help matters.

The dead zone while ridiculous was probably required as I got caught behind an artic turning at roundabout and a few lunatics shooting up the inside. Did they not realise the clock was off??

If used correctly the dead zone provided a break for the legs coming into t2 although it was odd slowing on the bike and a slow jog into t2. I think for the competitive end of the field this will be a bit of a shambles but as there's no winner etc prizes/points it's only bragging rights that will take a hit.

The swim was honest imo as there was little to no flow I found.

Bike was the usual craic effort on the way out and boot down on the way back.

Run route is actually very good IMO with the exception of the slippery cobbles, not as bad this year as last year.

I know a lot of folks don't like the commercial side of this event but the proceeds went towards a good cause this year and you'll be hard pressed to come across a more scenic transition.

Nice to laze about in the castle gardens after as well.

Hopefully next year they sort out the bike route. Otherwise an enjoyable event.

• Advertisement

Yes seems to have been sorted out now , maybe they should have held back posting times until the were correct ... Save all the bad press ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I know a lot of folks don't like the commercial side of this event but the proceeds went towards a good cause this year.

Are you sure about that. As far as I am aware the proceeds are going to the commercial organiser.

There is NO excuse for not giving out prizes. No what so ever. They got some stick last year for only giving out 1st place. So I guess they went one better this year. Shame in them

The Cycle Against Suicide is a separate event altogether. Race partner does not mean that proceeds are going to them.,

AFAIK all proceeds went towards CAS.

If the proceeds are going towards a charity then that's a perfectly valid excuse for not giving out prizes IMO. They did give out spot prizes although I'm sure these were only a token prize.

I guess by the race pack and limited food after not much money was spent on extras.

They advertised from the start that there were no prizes so if it upset folks in contention I'm sure they didn't take part. If they did then they shouldn't be complaining.

Most folks were taking part for a PB or a sense of achievement.

If not winning prizes is an issue perhaps this race isn't for you.

AFAIK all proceeds went towards CAS.

If the proceeds are going towards a charity then that's a perfectly valid excuse for not giving out prizes IMO. They did give out spot prizes although I'm sure these were only a token prize.

I guess by the race pack and limited food after not much money was spent on extras.

They advertised from the start that there were no prizes so if it upset folks in contention I'm sure they didn't take part. If they did then they shouldn't be complaining.

Most folks were taking part for a PB or a sense of achievement.

If not winning prizes is an issue perhaps this race isn't for you.

If it was a charity even, then there is no issue with with prizes, but as i said this IS not a charity event, it is a commercial event, that has a race partner namely CAS, any money raise from the CAS event im sure went to the cause and i would say a very worthy cause,

Re prizes, first of i would never be in a poisition to win a prize anyway, so it isnt an issue for me, but i didnt do this race because i would not support any race that is not " serious about athlete care" There words.

I have been involved in Athletics and Triathlon for nearly 20 years and have done loads of charity events over the years, all for great causes. Most of these if not all would have gave something to the winners.

I guess this one isn't for you so you're obviously strongly opposed to it and the fact it's a commercial enterprise. Similar to IM I guess but without the stature or the goodies.

I know at least 4 people that enjoyed themselves. I now know at least one that didnt.

I guess this one isn't for you so you're obviously strongly opposed to it and the fact it's a commercial enterprise. Similar to IM I guess but without the stature or the goodies.

I know at least 4 people that enjoyed themselves. I now know at least one that didnt.

Cant compare this event to IM brand event, different league altgether..

As i said i didnt do this so the quesion of enjoinig it never arose.

Happy for everyone who did

Just to add i have no problem with commercial events,

The biggest problem I think was the run from the river to T1. Surely they should be able to find old bits of carpet or mats to put down so we are not running on slipply steps and stones

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    The biggest problem I think was the run from the river to T1. Surely they should be able to find old bits of carpet or mats to put down so we are not running on slipply steps and stones

Did you not put on runners at the swim exit ?

Might be a help

has there any photos posted online at all of the event?

Ceepo wrote: »
    Did you not put on runners at the swim exit ?

Might be a help

I didn't know you were allowed to do that.

Given the run is so long, its worth the 10 secs to put them on. Must remember it for next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    I didn't know you were allowed to do that.

Given the run is so long, its worth the 10 secs to put them on. Must remember it for next year

You are not. Its a DQable offense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

tunney wrote: »
    You are not. Its a DQable offense

DQable offence for a non-TI race? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

stevire wrote: »
    DQable offence for a non-TI race? ;)

oh is it non-TI? then depends on the rules of the organiser. so i doubt its an issue.

Sounds like a great quality race

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

I did sprint event for second time this year. While the atmosphere was great The whole event lacked a race feel. It was more like 3 separate events than a triathlon. I think they are in danger of killing it altogether tbh. With no prizes (not that I need to worry about that) it won't attract the top competitors and with no transition timing it is in danger of losing those like myself who are competing against last year times to see if we are progressing. It might remain attractive to people crossing off a bucket list but there are better races to go to for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

boodiebhoy wrote: »
    I did sprint event for second time this year. While the atmosphere was great The whole event lacked a race feel. It was more like 3 separate events than a triathlon. I think they are in danger of killing it altogether tbh. With no prizes (not that I need to worry about that) it won't attract the top competitors and with no transition timing it is in danger of losing those like myself who are competing against last year times to see if we are progressing. It might remain attractive to people crossing off a bucket list but there are better races to go to for that.

This is my 3rd year doing this event and we all had a great weekend - as much about Kilkenny as the event itself.

I am in the similar boat as you - lack of prizes are not an issue for me - but if they are not delivering high quality for the top guys that does filter down with the overall approach.

Very large number of marshals/support in in the water which was great to see. Marshals on the cycle were not really sure where the timing after after the cycle restarted.

The messing around with the no-race zone, did impact the overall race feeling.

They could/should have had the no-race timing from the exit/entrance of the park rather than neutralise the whole transition :( Still had a great day out, but would be worried that they are missing the opportunity to host a really impressive event that delivers at the top of the field and through to the rest of us.

This year was not as good as the previous years. That said - still hope to be back to an improved event next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

I believe the dead zone was garda enforced due to the fact that the ring road is the route into kilkenny that all the waterford and wexford fans were using to get to nolan park, the traffic volume would have been too great to close sections of the road and that was the compromise that was agreed

It was definitely garda enforced there was a representative explaining the reasons before hand. I wonder why they didn't arrange it on an alternative weekend although that ring road is quite busy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Not sure what the attraction is with this event? I'd be extremely reluctant to do a race in Ireland that was not TI sanctioned in some form. Not because I think TI is perfect (or even close) but the only way to at least try to have a coordinated calendar is for the NGB to be involved in race sanctioning. Also, when it is TI sanctioned, you at least know that there is some level of safety oversight in advance........ no sanctioning means no accountability.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

EC1000 wrote: »
    Not sure what the attraction is with this event?

Kilkenny - which makes for a nice weekend away.
    Great Location
    Great transition zone which is excellent for supporters
    Nice swim
    (I also like the run up from the swim - bit others not so keen)
    Great run
    (Nothing great to say about the cycle)
    Well organised.
    Did I mention Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Oldlegs wrote: »
    Kilkenny - which makes for a nice weekend away.
    Great Location
    Great transition zone which is excellent for supporters
    Nice swim
    (I also like the run up from the swim - bit others not so keen)
    Great run
    (Nothing great to say about the cycle)
    Well organised.
    Did I mention Kilkenny.

Think you missed my point.

As an aside - just checked out the website and TI members had to buy additional insurance to do this event?

Advertisement