Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri Grand Prix Kilkenny times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

EC1000 wrote: »
    Not sure what the attraction is with this event?
    There's also the cost. For a non-TI member, At €45 for an Olympic triathlon, it's a lot cheaper than similar events like TriAthy or DCT (both €72.50)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Think you missed my point.

As an aside - just checked out the website and TI members had to buy additional insurance to do this event?

Didn't miss any of you point.

You asked what the attraction was - I give you a few. 1,000+ participants would also appear to agree.

As for your other point about scheduling of events - not sure that was any clash with other triathlons elsewhere.

TI ODL is €15 - the insurance for Kilkenny was an extra €5. So yes - my TI licence did not provide coverage, but for a lot more people it was a cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Shedite27 wrote: »
    There's also the cost. For a non-TI member, At €45 for an Olympic triathlon, it's a lot cheaper than similar events like TriAthy or DCT (both €72.50)

Hmmmm 50 euro for Kilkenny when the additional 5 euro insurance is paid. Athy wasn't 72.50 for me anyway. I paid 57.50 incl booking fee this year. Thats only 7.50 of a difference. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against this event/location in particular. I've never done it nor been at it and Kilkenny is a lovely city. Just have to ask the question why a potentially mass market event like this would be outside the TI umbrella?

Hmmmm 50 euro for Kilkenny when the additional 5 euro insurance is paid. Athy wasn't 72.50 for me anyway. I paid 57.50 incl booking fee this year. Thats only 7.50 of a difference.
    As I said, I was quoting for non-TI members (which there are quite a few)

Kilkenny €40 + €5 insurance = €45
    Athy/DCT - €57.50 + €15 ODL = €72.50

Difference of €27.50
    Just have to ask the question why a potentially mass market event like this would be outside the TI umbrella?
    YEah I'm not sure from an organisers point of view what the benefits of TI sanction are. Anyone know? I presume TI want money for the priviledge. Kilkenny was/is a series of European events, so maybe they felt they didn't need whatever expertise/services TI were providing.

As an aside, a ODL costs €15, insurance costs €5, is the other €10 going towards just the general running of the sport in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

DCT is 72 euro for an olympic?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! that cannot be right????

last time I did it it was 40 something

• Advertisement

But this race has seemed like a total face every year?

Traffic on bike, jokey times, cheating on run course, terrible transitions.

tunney wrote: »
    Traffic on bike.
    I've never done this race but they were unlucky the last two years, this year with the hurling announced at a weeks notice, and last year with Bruce Springsteen playing there the same day (again announced after the Tri)

As an aside, a ODL costs €15, insurance costs €5, is the other €10 going towards just the general running of the sport in Ireland?

Ah here.... you cant just say insurance cost is 5 euro and the rest is the cream. What is the level of cover underwritten in Kilkenny versus the level underwritten by a ODL? I doubt they are comparable (have no idea though). When you know this, it is then possible to query if the higher cost is justifiable or not. It is probably fair to say that there is some margin on top of the insurance cost but there is also an administrative burden to pay for also.

I've never done this race but they were unlucky the last two years, this year with the hurling announced at a weeks notice, and last year with Bruce Springsteen playing there the same day (again announced after the Tri)

So what you are saying is the bike route was poorly chosen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Really surprised at the negativity around this event, I took part this year for the first time and loved it.

I can find flaws in plenty of areas but why bother, I am not a professional athlete and neither are most of you. In fact, one can find flaw in most races, for example I think the run in Athy's ankle length grass is a joke. But so what.

The vibe at KK was awesome. The 'feel good' stories that we heard from those coming through finish created a great buzz. I loved the swim (I clocked 9:57 for the Sprint) and the cycle was nice and flat. Yes the no race zone didnt help timing matters but so be it. All I hear and see when I read the comments on this thread is a bunch of me feiners having a whine.

I say well dont to the organisers and those who went out and enjoyed it, to the rest. Get a life :)

• Advertisement

Pm1e wrote: »
    Really surprised at the negativity around this event, I took part this year for the first time and loved it.

I can find flaws in plenty of areas but why bother, I am not a professional athlete and neither are most of you. In fact, one can find flaw in most races, for example I think the run in Athy's ankle length grass is a joke. But so what.

The vibe at KK was awesome. The 'feel good' stories that we heard from those coming through finish created a great buzz. I loved the swim (I clocked 9:57 for the Sprint) and the cycle was nice and flat. Yes the no race zone didnt help timing matters but so be it. All I hear and see when I read the comments on this thread is a bunch of me feiners having a whine.

I say well dont to the organisers and those who went out and enjoyed it, to the rest. Get a life :)

Going to guess you're very very new to triathlon?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

But this race has seemed like a total face every year?

Traffic on bike, jokey times, cheating on run course, terrible transitions.

Done this race for the last 3 years. Yeah there were some issues, but defo nothing major. Good event, great buzz about the place and Kilkenny is a great spot to weekend.

Expect to be back next year again irrespestive of whether there is a Bruce Concert, Hurling match, or God forbid - a Garth Brooks 5-nighter :eek:

Going to guess you're very very new to triathlon?

Whys that? do I have to be disgruntled and take myself overly serious to have been in it for a while ;)

Whys that? do I have to be disgruntled and take myself overly serious to have been in it for a while ;)

The newer the person is to the sport the more rose tinted the glasses. Its not about taking yourself seriously but rather experience of how races should be run, something you only get by being around a while and getting experience of many races.

The newer the person is to the sport the more rose tinted the glasses. Its not about taking yourself seriously but rather experience of how races should be run, something you only get by being around a while and getting experience of many races.

well this is my 3rd year and yes I would consider myself new to it all. I have been involved at the highest level in other sports and do know how events are to be run (albeit each sport is different) but I just don't see why there needs to be such a whoopla around how this was or wasn't done right, anyway I guess I'll figure it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭trailrunner

Agree with Pm1e here. I'm racing six year now, done kilkenny three times, olly last year and this, will be back next year to. I think it's its a great race.
    Some people round here need to remind themselves of the true meaning of the word "sport" !! Stop the whining and bitching.

Agree with Pm1e here. I'm racing six year now, done kilkenny three times, olly last year and this, will be back next year to. I think it's its a great race.
    Some people round here need to remind themselves of the true meaning of the word "sport" !! Stop the whining and bitching.

The "winner" spent ten minutes stretching in transition. Amazingly that wasnt included in his time as they didn't include transition times. ...

now tell me that definition of sport again please.

I've also done this race before and never gone back

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭trailrunner

Here you go

"an individual or group activity pursued for exercise or pleasure, often involving the testing of physical capabilities and taking the form of a competitive game such as football, tennis, etc"

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This race was TI sanctioned last year. I would wonder if a race that cuts prizes and doesn't come under the TI umbrella is really being run for the athletes at all? This is still run by a private company right?

The "winner" spent ten minutes stretching in transition. Amazingly that wasnt included in his time as they didn't include transition times. ...

now tell me that definition of sport again please.

I've also done this race before and never gone back

if he wanted to game it that way then that's his business and shame on him. Be aware that you are essentially insulting those who did this race for the first time ever, did it for a reason etc. with your criticism. I swam many a national event as a young lad and I can tell you I took them all less serious than people are in here taking tri as amateurs. come on lads chill

• Advertisement

if he wanted to game it that way then that's his business and shame on him. Be aware that you are essentially insulting those who did this race for the first time ever, did it for a reason etc. with your criticism. I swam many a national event as a young lad and I can tell you I took them all less serious than people are in here taking tri as amateurs. come on lads chill

Oh no I insulted some people I dont know and will never meet.

People called a sh1t race a sh1t race, you're the one interpreting it personally.

:) But were obsessed! Just wait, it will sneak up on you too!

I've done a good few races (pure novice to tunney tho ;) ) and just reading here about kilkenny would put me off it. Its probably a great event, but it is not a race. They luck out with the venue, but seem to get a lot of race essentials wrong.

And criticism of the race does not denigrate the performance of anyone who did it.

Oh no I insulted some people I dont know and will never meet.

People called a sh1t race a sh1t race, you're the one interpreting it personally.

it's all good chap. manners and all that. Do unto others etc. we clearly share a different outlook on how we treat others. must be a terrible shame for those who join your club with your obnoxious approach to those in it for fun.

it's all good chap. manners and all that. Do unto others etc. we clearly share a different outlook on how we treat others. must be a terrible shame for those who join your club with your obnoxious approach to those in it for fun.

Welcome to the Triathlon forum. Now that you have crossed swords with tunney, your initiation is complete.

Oryx wrote: »

And criticism of the race does not denigrate the performance of anyone who did it.

A voice of reason!

Be aware that you are essentially insulting those who did this race for the first time ever, did it for a reason etc. with your criticism.

I don't see how this is the case. Querying the organisation of a race and in particular why it would fall outside the sanctioning of the NGB should not be confused with lessening or questioning the achievement of those that did the race. I think there are fair and obvious questions to be asked when a race decides to go down this route.

Oryx wrote: »
    Welcome to the Triathlon forum. Now that you have crossed swords with tunney, your initiation is complete.

ah look im not here to ruffle feathers. I've literally just hung up my rugby boots and one thing I always hated about the sport was the elitist attitude from senior players (of which I was one for most of my time) and older club members, especially when it came to newcomers. I guess I just didn't want to see it in another sport that I am coming in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

they didn't include transition times. ...

You are KIDDING me right? ROTFL :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

the winner of the olympic was in and out in no time, i came in with him and straight on with trainers and he was already gone by the time i was, assuming you are talking about the sprint race?

speedyj wrote: »
    You are KIDDING me right? ROTFL :D:D:D

No I amn't, but hey good race. I fell over laughing when second place in the sprint told me that last night, he lost by 30 seconds.....

MD1983 wrote: »
    the winner of the olympic was in and out in no time, i came in with him and straight on with trainers and he was already gone by the time i was, assuming you are talking about the sprint race?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I agree since TI does so well with officiating drafting its an insult go without sanctioning ( in pink )
    I actually would applaud a company that says we invest the saved TI fees into draft marshalls to create a fairer race whit more draft marshalls and have less people controlling nudity and white line offences in transition . If there was a few races that did it it would force TI to follow.

Itu has made it very clear what their main goal is and this is to push elite events into big sports. A great goal but they basically also said we dodnt care about amateur sport,and this is not so good.

So its good if there is compettion and they have to fight for buisness to rember that amateurs are also important and that they need them. ( in london it was very clear that they do not care aobut them apart from taking their money .
    ( Btw i do think that Itu is doing execllent work for the Elite sport right now )

Persoanlly i can not see the importance of being Ti sanctioned or not for me its do I like a race or not. I always see it this way competiton is good. Like when the person we cant talk about set up his website it pushed Ti to lift its game and the winner was the triathletes that are no getting results much faster here more aobut races abroad etc .
    And the same it is with commercial and non commerical races or with Itu vs Ironman. Its good for the sport. Monopolies are never a good thing options are good. Some people prefer some race some people others.

Also TI has become a commercial organisation (nothing wrong with that in fact actually a good thing) so all this non profit yada yada is not really correct given all the buisness deals Ti has with various companies and uses races to promote those comapies
    And again I think its a good thing to do, but of course it also means they have more obligations to sponsors and and members play an less import rule than they used to.
    So agian if there is other options there is a good chance it will be for the better of triathletes as more competiton should mean more focus on the customers needs.

A

I don't see how this is the case. Querying the organisation of a race and in particular why it would fall outside the sanctioning of the NGB should not be confused with lessening or questioning the achievement of those that did the race. I think there are fair and obvious questions to be asked when a race decides to go down this route.

Advertisement