Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri Grand Prix Kilkenny times

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    I agree since TI does so well with officiating drafting its an insult go without sanctioning ( in pink )
    I actually would applaud a company that says we invest the saved TI fees into draft marshalls to create a fairer race whit more draft marshalls and have less people controlling nudity and white line offences in transition . If there was a few races that did it it would force TI to follow.

Itu has made it very clear what their main goal is and this is to push elite events into big sports. A great goal but they basically also said we dodnt care about amateur sport,and this is not so good.

So its good if there is compettion and they have to fight for buisness to rember that amateurs are also important and that they need them. ( in london it was very clear that they do not care aobut them apart from taking their money .
    ( Btw i do think that Itu is doing execllent work for the Elite sport right now )

Persoanlly i can not see the importance of being Ti sanctioned or not for me its do I like a race or not. I always see it this way competiton is good. Like when the person we cant talk about set up his website it pushed Ti to lift its game and the winner was the triathletes that are no getting results much faster here more aobut races abroad etc .
    And the same it is with commercial and non commerical races or with Itu vs Ironman. Its good for the sport. Monopolies are never a good thing options are good. Some people prefer some race some people others.

Also TI has become a commercial organisation (nothing wrong with that in fact actually a good thing) so all this non profit yada yada is not really correct given all the buisness deals Ti has with various companies and uses races to promote those comapies
    And again I think its a good thing to do, but of course it also means they have more obligations to sponsors and and members play an less import rule than they used to.
    So agian if there is other options there is a good chance it will be for the better of triathletes as more competiton should mean more focus on the customers needs.

I HATE agreeing with Peter, which I do here.

The business deals is something that I have been raising for years, been critical about and its impact on the NS and other major companies. To a certain extent it pains me that only Peter has also seen this (or maybe he just listened to me)[1]

I would just add though - that much like being TI sanctioned doesn't mean quality, not being TI sanctioned also doesn't mean quality. Take this race in Kilkenny and all his races as examples.

[1]For the record it doesn't pain me, I just enjoy slagging Peter. Someone I would consider a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

They could've done the dead zone better imo. Add two extra mats for the transition area, one on bike exit, one on bike entrance. That way transitions would have counted towards the overall time. Then the dead zone becomes isolated to the 1.5k on the road and not include transition times.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

stevire wrote: »
    They could've done the dead zone better imo. Add two extra mats for the transition area, one on bike exit, one on bike entrance. That way transitions would have counted towards the overall time. Then the dead zone becomes isolated to the 1.5k on the road and not include transition times.

agreed - that is my only real problem with the race this year, pegging it along on those stones out of the swim to T1 was all for nothing ;-(

i dont care if it TI sanctioned or not.

some positives:

nice swim course but a bit short
    spectator friendly
    good number of toilets
    nice big transition zone with plenty of space
    aside from the dead zone the bike course is good for TT
    a good number of martials on the run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

peter kern wrote: »
    I actually would applaud a company that says we invest the saved TI fees into draft marshalls to create a fairer race whit more draft marshalls

I fully agree - competition is great and is the only way things improve. If I suggested otherwise anywhere, that was not my intention. I am only commenting based on what was in this thread. It doesn't appear to me that the money saved by not sanctioning the race was re-invested in a better competitor experience in any way. Therefore I was questioning their motivation, nothing more. [Was there copious amounts of draft busters in Kilkenny???????]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Nothing against you or what you said but i think overall the sentiment on boards is commerical is bad when ti is quite commerical ..... and dodnt get me wrong i think TI is doing a good job and you cant please everybody.
    I prefered to race the galways aquathon which i think is very well organiced and had kids and junior races ,rather than going to kilkenny that weekend ;-)
    EC1000 wrote: »
    I fully agree - competition is great and is the only way things improve. If I suggested otherwise anywhere, that was not my intention. I am only commenting based on what was in this thread. It doesn't appear to me that the money saved by not sanctioning the race was re-invested in a better competitor experience in any way. Therefore I was questioning their motivation, nothing more. [Was there copious amounts of draft busters in Kilkenny???????]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

tunney wrote: »
    I HATE I would just add though - that much like being TI sanctioned doesn't mean quality, not being TI sanctioned also doesn't mean quality.

This is key. You cant make blanket statements like TI good / commercial bad. I've done some pretty atrocious TI sanctioned events in the past, and I've done some pretty good commercially driven ones. The only caveat to that in my mind is that a TI event is more likely to have a club involvement and therefore hopefully will be organised by people who understand what makes a good event. One of the concerns that I have about TI's proposals discussed elsewhere on this forum is that the more complicated you make race entry and the more work that has to be done to stream entrants into different waves the less likely club members are to get involved in organising events as they will take up even more time (or maybe not, time will tell).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Has a TI sanctioned event ever had a secition neutralised?

Shedite27 wrote: »

to be pedantic there is a difference between neutralised and "dead"

I had never heard of the concept of a "dead zone" in a race. As farcical a notion as this race seems to be itself.

Neutralised zones happen, and not just in tri. This year a descent off a mountain top in the giro (or two) were neutralised. Neutralised means no attacking, no overtaking, that the rankings going in are maintained coming out.

This ridiculous notion of a dead zone - where in there was a black hole of time. Never heard of it before and no its never happened in a triathlon I've ever heard of before this. TI sanctioned or not.

Does suggest that whoever organised this race has little/no race organisation experience and little/no triathlon racing experience.

This is in relation to a bike race but the same applies in triathlon.

"Neutralisation: In the event of a danger on the track, officials will tell all riders to go to the top of the track, ride at a steady pace and maintain their relative position. The start of road races can also have a have neutralised section."

Dead zone? nah, thats a total joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Shedite27 wrote: »
    yep in theory killkee had a few meters neutralised this year due to bad surface where they had to divert the race since the beach promenade had been washed away ( you were not supposed to overtake)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Bunclody had a neutralised zone. IMUK 70.3 had one last year. That's normal.

Advertisement