Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fazer wanted

• 19-07-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

Finished IBT with lookbehindyou, absolutely superb trainer.

Hoping now to get my hands on an FZS/FZ6, not many decent ones for sale recently within my 2k budget. Does anybody know of anyone selling one?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Getting a good condition FZS would be really hard I would think. But they'll run forever if treated well. My own is on 47000+ Miles and hasn't missed a beat. Keep an eye on done deal, as summer comes to an end you'll have plenty of lads selling their summer bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Getting a good condition FZS would be really hard I would think. But they'll run forever if treated well. My own is on 47000+ Miles and hasn't missed a beat. Keep an eye on done deal, as summer comes to an end you'll have plenty of lads selling their summer bikes.

they are people who do over 100k miles on fzs... and not one person or two.. many.. one lady has 200k (yes miles)on her fzs 2003... and yes they will run untill the end of the world.. if buying second hand i woudlnt be worried about milleage.. the service intervals are the key... you should get "older fazer 600" for 1000-1500 max if you keep and close eye on the market... but for 2.000 i dont think that you will get your hands on fzs in good working order... but you never know...

E

Bikerguy wrote: »
    they are people who do over 100k miles on fzs... and not one person or two.. many.. one lady has 200k (yes miles)on her fzs 2003... and yes they will run untill the end of the world.. if buying second hand i woudlnt be worried about milleage.. the service intervals are the key... you should get "older fazer 600" for 1000-1500 max if you keep and close eye on the market... but for 2.000 i dont think that you will get your hands on fzs in good working order... but you never know...

E

Oh, by good condition, I'm purely basing that on looks :pac: They generally tend to not be very pretty bikes and I've seen plenty of cracked fairings (my own included.) But they just keep going. :) I've the 98 that I got for 1250, 100 more than I should have paid. Just did the usual fixeruppers that were needed at the time, new tyres, oil and filters and it's runs like a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 chiplad

Thanks for the advice people! By FZS I meant the 600 version of course. I like the Fazer a lot, just want a cheap 600 to start on. Ill wait patiently for winter to arrive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭positron

Another FZS600 owner here and I have been commuting on mine for last three years, including winters. From what I gather FZS600 is better than the FZ6 which in itself is a great bike, but FZS600 does better mpg, and has a bigger tank, especially later model 2002-2003. Good headlights, decent under-seat storage and more importantly cheap spares. Plenty of Fazers on the road and at the breakers, so you shouldn't have to wait too long to get any spares. Yamaha has recently dropped the main fairing price by half as well, if anyone is looking.

Considering these are at least 10-11 years old by now, you would need to be patient to find one in very good nick. In any case, if you want to ride a Fazer in all weathers, you would sooner or later need stainless steel downpipes as the original downpipes are made of dark chocolate. Rear calipers would need regular maintenance to avoid sticking (I am just leaning this now), and same goes for front blue spot calipers but it's less prone to issues compared to the rear one, if calipers are not looked after you will end up shelling out more replacing brake discs. Some complain about soft rear suspension but I haven't had any issues so far to be honest.

Fazers are fast, comfortable & economical bikes - a rare combination these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

chiplad wrote: »
    Ill wait patiently for winter to arrive!

If your patience runs out maybe look into a honda hornet 600 or a suzuki bandit 600. I know you weren't asking for suggestions but you'll find a lot more results when trawling through the ads. You'll find more around (and under) your budget too. Both get great reviews and arent a big step away from what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Similar to positron here, have had mine since March last year and has not steered me wrong. I've looked after it in terms of maintenance but bought it from someone who cared for it even more than I did which lends to its current condition.

I've been looking at bigger bikes lately, VFR & Blackbirds and the thought of selling to go bigger has crossed my mind many times. It's the unknown that is stopping me. I know the work I have put into my bike, I know I won't have any trouble with it and that in itself is priceless.

If you really are set on a fazer wait for the right 02-03 (foxeye) model to pop up and jump on it. Also get yourself over to http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php and keep on eye on the for sale section, there is some cracking value to be had on bikes through owners forums. I've seen some very clean bikes go for very reasonable prices over there. Just remember you get what you pay for when it comes to bikes. Spending a little more on the asking price could save you a lot more on maintenance or fixing problems on a cheaper bike.

There was a clean one on adverts, http://www.adverts.ie/car/yamaha/other-yamaha/yamaha-fazer-2003/5571342 - might still be time to stick your oar in there!

Great advice folks, thanks!

@ Vikings - I tried that one alright on Adverts, can't get him on phone though. I see he's selling sunbeds too, as you do..!

Out of interest, why the foxeye in particular? Friend of mine reckons the 04 onwards is a better machine, I assume because of the fuel injection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Of the FZS model - 1998 to 2003 - it got a facelift in '02 to the foxeye model. This gave it better headlights and a bigger tank among a few other minor changes. 22l compared to 18l in the older models, that is huge if you are commuting on it.

The FZ6 would be the newer model fazer with underseat exhaust, which personally I think looks better. I have no experience of that bike myself but Wonda-boy did own one I think so he might give you advice on that.

From being a member of the fazer forum above a lot of the members there would recommend the FZS over the FZ6, apparently the fuel injection reduced the mileage and has a few extra niggly problems over the non FI, older version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

that adverts one wil lhopefully be mine now :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭gipi

There's an ad on dd for an FZ6 today - Polish reg. Just in case you haven't seen it before.

(not mine, by the way!)

copeyhagen wrote: »
    that adverts one wil lhopefully be mine now :cool:

You managed to get him on the phone?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

no through adverts. loads of the older model about but not many 01-03's

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PlayerA

Hi Chiplad, a good friend of mine is selling a bandit 600 2002 for your budget very good shape for the year, and the man takes very good care of his bikes he helped me several times with mine. Let me know if you would like to see it. Don't know where you are located though, the bike is in Dublin area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Another Fazer owner joining in. Great bike, ****ing love the thing. Mine is on about 38,000 miles now, haven't noticed anything significant wrong with mine.

There are good deals out there, mine cost me €1,050. It had about 30k miles on it and a cracked fairing, outside of that, it came with crash bars, a scotoiler and was in great condition.

My advice is to shop around, i looked at 4 bikes before i settled with this one. I'd recommend the 02/03 models, mine is a 01, had a '99 before that but she had to be put down from a case of the Smidy's.

As others have said, spare parts are very easy to find, especially around dublin.

PlayerA wrote: »
    Hi Chiplad, a good friend of mine is selling a bandit 600 2002 for your budget very good shape for the year, and the man takes very good care of his bikes he helped me several times with mine. Let me know if you would like to see it. Don't know where you are located though, the bike is in Dublin area.

Thanks for that, I'm gonna hold off for a Frazer for another while! But ill get back to you if the search is fruitless!

Went to view one today in south Dublin, awful bike! Endless frame and bodywork damage, dodgy brakes, "15,000" miles on it - snort! And my friend noticed the throttle position sensor is knackered on it, really bad bike.
    There are one or two 02/03 ones about, will check those out next.

Xios wrote: »
    There are good deals out there, mine cost me €1,050. It had about 30k miles on it and a cracked fairing, outside of that, it came with crash bars, a scotoiler and was in great condition.

Wow sounds like you got a really good deal. I thought I did well to buy and 03 for 2k couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

positron wrote: »
    Wow sounds like you got a really good deal. I thought I did well to buy and 03 for 2k couple of years ago.

Yeah, it was a steal alright, got it off a Soviet lad in Athlone, he had no need for it anymore and needed the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I own two Fazer 600's. One is 1998 and the other 2002.

I was going to sell my 1998 one this year with full luggage but I just couldn't let it go. The 2002 model needs a new fairing and exhaust after I was rear ended and the insurance is taking ages to sort me out.

I really struggled to think of a bike I would like after the Fazer. I don't think there is there isn't any bike out there. I drive a fast Kawasaki now and it isn't as fun or comfortable as the Fazer. The Fazer isn't slow either.

I think it's worth while spending a bit extra on the Fazer if it's in great condition. It took me 3 months to find my Fazer and in the end I settled on one that needed a new fork seals but it has a nice exhaust. I recently installed brand new down pipes on it too! :D I can't wait to take it for a drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

lots of love for the FZS fazers here, have one myself, got a mint 99 model a couple of yr ago, toured 12k round Europe on it last yr then came off it after that and it tried to eat my leg but i still woudent sell it, had notions of getting a fzs1000 but getting spit of the 600 put me in my box, they have enough power and comfort for anyone

DSC_0475.jpg

DSC_0812-1.jpg

Bought a lovely 02 FZS this evening! Picking it up on Sunday :)
    It's like New, 3000 miles on a 02 and its not been clocked AFAIK. Can't wait!

chiplad wrote: »
    Bought a lovely 02 FZS this evening! Picking it up on Sunday :)
    It's like New, 3000 miles on a 02 and its not been clocked AFAIK. Can't wait!

3000 miles? On a 12 year old bike? Christ, probably good to get new tyres if it's been sitting up for long. I'd do 3000 miles in 2 months if I have the time. Also, I'd make sure the speedo drive isn't broken if I was you.... that stops the clock moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

^ sound advice there from minidazzler

Wow!! 3000 miles on an 02 Fazer? If I were you, I would make sure it's all original parts, plenty of ACF50 and put in a nice dry garage / kitchen and wait for it turn into a classic! :D

Once you pick it up, please post some photos, and where you found it etc. I wouldn't mind buying something like that myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

pics please please please

The guy I bought it from had it ready to ride after it was pretty much lying idle for 10years, New tyres, filters, fluids, chain etc so it's good to go. Picked it up yesterday evening, love it already. Only problem is the seat is very slippery! Will post pics later

3000 miles? On a 12 year old bike? Christ, probably good to get new tyres if it's been sitting up for long. I'd do 3000 miles in 2 months if I have the time. Also, I'd make sure the speedo drive isn't broken if I was you.... that stops the clock moving.

Thanks for that, I assume in that case the Speedo wouldn't work either correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Will steal chiplads thunder

o5G6lr.jpg

3b3Tly.jpg

Bike is lovely, its super tight & spotless

• Advertisement

Still prefer the underseat exhaust on yours in the background! But can't complain about my own, it was a once in a blue moon example!

Advertisement