Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woks Cooking Drogheda

Options
  • 19-07-2014 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭

Is Woks Cooking in Wheaton Hall under new ownership?
    We've been using it almost every weekend since day one and it's generally been consistently good.
    It's nearly always been Karen who answers the phone but tonight it was someone new.
    We placed our usual order of salt & pepper chicken, crispy shredded chilli chicken, fried rice & beansprouts.
    Oh dear........
    It was awful, I've never seen so much food from Woks Cooking left uneaten.
    It was completely different from what we're used to.
    The salt & pepper chicken used to be dry and crunchy, tonight it was stodgy, greasy and really oily.
    The crispy shredded chicken just wasn't nice, the beansprouts were bland and mushy, the rice was...meh.
    You were left with an overall feeling of having consumed an almost toxic level of grease and oil!
    The ingredients and presentation of the food seemed different, the food containers were different and they have a new glossy booklet type menu.
    It all points towards new ownership, has anyone else noticed the change?
    And where are we going to get our Saturday Chinese take away from now??

CPL 593H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

My OH was wondering the same thing - he went around last week to get the €10 midweek special, no Karen, new menus and they "don't do the special any more". He rang me and I said I would prefer a noodle box takeaway instead so he went there so we had a lucky escape with not ordering it seems!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just got a new, flashy menu in the doorbox today. Seems utterly different to what they'd usually do advertising wise...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭IN-THE-KNOW

Directed at furiousox - I completely agree with you 100 percent.

I ordered the salt & pepper shredded chicken last week and it came out exactly the same way you described. It turned out I couldn't eat the chicken as it was far too spicy for my liking and to be honest, I didn't like it at all. I've been ordering that dish for some years now as it never failed. Karen wasn't there and a different girl was at the counter.

I ordered the salt & pepper shredded chicken again tonight but I made it known to the same girl at the counter that I didn't like the last one they gave me. She said I was given the wrong order and made sure I got the dry salt & pepper shredded chicken so that was grand.

It turned out when I got home, the chicken was the same as last week so I called the chinese, spoke to the girl and she said that they have a new chef who is has given the chicken a new formula! I told her I didn't like it and I couldn't eat it as it was far too spicy so I was given a credit note for my next order!! I'm going to wait until I know Karen is back, maybe she is on holidays but I wait to see her first before I order it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

It is under different owners. My other half was talking to Karen during the week and she said she is moving back to Dublin and it is her cousin who has taken over the running of the shop. She also said she has heard from a good few people about the quality of the food and said she's going to have to have a word with her cousin about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Just got a new, flashy menu in the doorbox today. Seems utterly different to what they'd usually do advertising wise...

More expensive too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

I got a vegetables in black pepper sauce with boiled rice there sunday night and I thought it was quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭IN-THE-KNOW

Directed at markc1184 - thanks for the update! I hope Karen gives her cousin an earful...I leave it for a little while longer before I order again and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

used to get it all the time but after trying the noodle box a year or 2 ago didnt bother going back. karen was a good asset to that place though

• Registered Users Posts: 1 litoVivi

furiousox wrote: »
    Is Woks Cooking in Wheaton Hall under new ownership?
    We've been using it almost every weekend since day one and it's generally been consistently good.
    It's nearly always been Karen who answers the phone but tonight it was someone new.
    We placed our usual order of salt & pepper chicken, crispy shredded chilli chicken, fried rice & beansprouts.
    Oh dear........
    It was awful, I've never seen so much food from Woks Cooking left uneaten.
    It was completely different from what we're used to.
    The salt & pepper chicken used to be dry and crunchy, tonight it was stodgy, greasy and really oily.
    The crispy shredded chicken just wasn't nice, the beansprouts were bland and mushy, the rice was...meh.
    You were left with an overall feeling of having consumed an almost toxic level of grease and oil!
    The ingredients and presentation of the food seemed different, the food containers were different and they have a new glossy booklet type menu.
    It all points towards new ownership, has anyone else noticed the change?
    And where are we going to get our Saturday Chinese take away from now??

Do you know about Karen? Is she Irish?

Advertisement