Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Dog Toys & Where To Get Them

• 19-07-2014 10:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm hoping I could get some opinions off you all regarding the best dog toys to get for my dog.

Ali is a Miniature Jack Russell and she loves to chew! We used to always get her some toys out of Dealz but they'd last about 10 minutes before they're in bits on the mat!

We got her a small Kong chew toy when she was a puppy and that last about 6 months before she managed to chew it apart.

We then got her 2 bigger sized Kong toys which have lasted well so far.

I want to get her some more but I don't really know what.

Her only toy at the minute is the Kong and the odd sock if she manages to get her paws on one!

From looking online Kong seem to be great and they've a good selection available on Amazon.

I don't mind spending a bit on them if they're going to last.

What toys do you get for your dog/s? Where from? Price?

Thanks in advance!

Apologies to the mods if there is already a thread about this, I couldn't find any.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Have you tried the black coloured Kongs? Tougher than the regular red and should last longer.
    They're available in a couple of shapes/sizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

poppy got a nyla bone from her secret santa last year and it's still going strong!

If you have a tk maxx near you have a look at the pet section.. I've gotten loads of great, durable toys for my furbabies there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Have you tried the black coloured Kongs? Tougher than the regular red and should last longer.
    They're available in a couple of shapes/sizes.
    I haven't actually, probably going to get her toys off Amazon so I think I'll get her the Black Kong varieties instead.

Thanks for that!

poppy got a nyla bone from her secret santa last year and it's still going strong!

If you have a tk maxx near you have a look at the pet section.. I've gotten loads of great, durable toys for my furbabies there.
    After reading your post I actually remembered that Ali has a Nylabone too!

It's here in the house.... somewhere.

Haven't seen it in a good while but I might have a look.

She never really took to it much but I'm sure she'll appreciate something else to play with!

Nearest TK Maxx to me is Portlaoise I'm afraid.

I might go over and have a look though, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Do you put anything in the Kong, or just give them to her to chew? I like to put things in them and freeze, such as their kibble with some sardines, peanut butter is another favourite. Freezing makes the food last longer.

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    Do you put anything in the Kong, or just give them to her to chew? I like to put things in them and freeze, such as their kibble with some sardines, peanut butter is another favourite. Freezing makes the food last longer.

Usually she just plays with the Kong itself but she loves Peanut Butter in it, she's got 2 jars in the kitchen all to herself especially for the Kong! :P

I've never tried anything else, she doesn't really like her dry food and seems to only eat it when she's really hungry so I'm not sure how that'd work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Usually she just plays with the Kong itself but she loves Peanut Butter in it, she's got 2 jars in the kitchen all to herself especially for the Kong! :P

I've never tried anything else, she doesn't really like her dry food and seems to only eat it when she's really hungry so I'm not sure how that'd work.

I get tins of sardines or mackerel from Lidl usually and mix it up with the kibble, so its nice and smelly :) I also get yogurt and mix it with peanut butter, or banana or manuka honey, there are so many different things you can put in, hopefully some other posters will have some ideas for you. Just don't forget to put something in the other end of the Kong to stop the mixture coming out.

With toys, my lot tend to destroy things very quickly. You can make your own tug toys if you have old jeans, cut strips and plait them, they tend to be tough. I wouldn't leave them unattended with the dog though.

I've also had toys made of firehose, the place I got them from has closed down, but that material seems quite strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The sardines or mackerel tins from aldi or lidl are great for kongs, mix with some dry food and freeze, or left over veggies and meat, mine love carrot, broccoli and the fish or their nuts.

The nylabones are great too, can't give much advice on chew toys, mine like soft toys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Some dogs just wreck toys - my friend's setter being one of them! Anything we give him lasts 5 mins where with my retriever we have some of his toys 5 years!! My pup loves a good chew and likes bull bars a lot - they're not as hard as an antler and are more woody but she's been working away on one for months and it's still going strong. Like antlers though you need to make sure you get a size appropriate one - so if the dog is a light chewer get a small one, heaver chewer get a big one. I got ours in pet stop.

http://www.puredog.co.uk/our-products/bullbar-horn-dog-chews/

Advertisement