Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic: Gamblers Ramblings

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Slattsy wrote: »
    I don't like my whiskey any other way than straight. With possible 2 small drops of water that I let fall off my finger tips.

Not a huge fan of Jameson. Grand for mixers.

Agreed with the 2 drops, a friend of my fathers is a sommelier and introduced me to adding a couple of tiny drops to brandy or whiskey to bring it back to the way it was intended. Whiskey stones are very handy for cooling down the drink as well.

I've a few bottles of Jameson in the press, normal stuff for day to day drinking/visitors, Special Reserve for myself on an evening when I'll just have 1 or 2, a Caskmate for a special occasion when a few whiskey fans will call around and a couple of extra reserve expensive ones that were a gift from my father, they'll probably never be opened/drank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Send them to me then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

illy coffee is my current choice. I have two every morning before 10am.

I'd say coffee where you are (Guatemalan prison) isnt up to much in fairness!

Just heard one of the mid-player betting chains will be swallowed up this summer by one of the PLC bookmakers. Its becoming very hard for anyone without a credible online platform to compete.

Clareman wrote: »
    A lot of lurkers alright.

lurkers.jpg

My contra contacts smuggle in the odd bit of contraband for me. But other than that, I rely on coffee beans that are thrown over the prison wall:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I can put up with Topaz coffee

But why would you want to give money to Denis O Brien

Whats 3fe lads?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Shemale wrote: »
    But why would you want to give money to Denis O Brien

Whats 3fe lads?

It's a brand of coffee.

And my fuel card is Topaz so I'll gladly give him as much money as needs be. I like their loyalty scheme as well, get something free every month so it's all good.

• Advertisement

It's better than being in a barbershop quartet in Skokie, Illinois

It's a brand of coffee.
    Must check it out. Lidl do a Columbian instant coffee for about €2 and it ain't too bad. The missus broke my nespresso and haven't replaced it yet

And my fuel card is Topaz so I'll gladly give him as much money as needs be. I like their loyalty scheme as well, get something free every month so it's all good.

Loyalty card, lmao, they are any amount dearer than non honey monster owned petrol stations.

Loyalty card, lmao, they are any amount dearer than non honey monster owned petrol stations.

I wouldn't risk my car on a cheap independent petrol station and the price doesn't affect me as I'm not paying anyway.

Must check it out. Lidl do a Columbian instant coffee for about €2 and it ain't too bad. The missus broke my nespresso and haven't replaced it yet

Check out aeropress, they are great for decent coffee at home, it's almost as easy to use as it is to make instant

I wouldn't risk my car on a cheap independent petrol station and the price doesn't affect me as I'm not paying anyway.

I would say you are in higher risk of getting coloured petrol/ diesel from him, wouldn't describe him as scrupulous.

Supporting him will cause major problems down the line, in Dublin 15 he has 4 Topaz petrol stations, the only one I can think of that isn't Topaz is on the Clonsilla Road, if he owns them all the price will go through the roof.

Check out aeropress, they are great for decent coffee at home, it's almost as easy to use as it is to make instant

How would it compare to nespresso?

• Advertisement

How would it compare to nespresso?

Depending on the beans, just as good, it's probably as good as you are going to get at home without getting a really expensive coffee machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioPNu-nMvWg

Was trying to remember the line from the movie. Found it

Just watched my first UFC fight. He lived up to the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

BumperD wrote: »
    Just watched my first UFC fight. He lived up to the hype.

I hope you watched the Lawlor v McDonald fight before it. Candidate for best fight of the year easily.

Saw the last 3 rounds of the undercard. Fairly brutal. My first time watching UFC. The punch to his nose to end that fight - I could feel it. Shuddering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Dana said Rory had no idea what year it was when doctors asked him backstage. Madness

First day back in work after 5 weeks off.

I've gone for pints.

I've gone for pints.

I've gone for pints.

Did you go to The Great Scam?

What's that

Will have a bet on the Open but going to wait until Friday night when the field is cut

Going to have a few dozen pints in my local this evening and watch a bit of racing.

I've had at least 6 beers every night for the past 10 days, damn work, going to crash tonight I think.

Anyone know the story with Ladbrooks in Ireland? My local one just closed and it doesn't look like it's reopening

They went into administration a couple of weeks ago. Talks of a merger with corals. There will be a big consolidation of the market for the next 12 to 24 months.

• Advertisement

Jesus that was a heavy weekend. Trés ruff in work.

I'm on a 3 week drinking holiday.

Correction. Drinking and gambling.

Enjoy Galway ;)

Spending a few days in blighty, drinking ale.

Laddies and Coral merge. The end of the magic sign😔?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭droidman123

BumperD wrote: »
    Laddies and Coral merge. The end of the magic sign😔?

The only thing magic about Ladbrokes is that they always had the uncanny knack of making money disappear from my pocket.

Ladbrokes was by far my least favourite bookies, but at least it might mean that the shops stay open so people won't lose their jobs.

On a side note, Boyle Sports seem to be pushing price sscreens to pubs, they've offered a few pubs in Ennis a 32" screen that'll show the prices in the hope of drumming up business, 1 pub is acting as a bookie for them and all.

Couldnt stand Ladbrokes either, always felt dirty in their shops.

• Advertisement

I like Boyle shops, PP aren't too bad, Bambury are shocking though

Price screens in pubs are around for a few yrs. Bambury and the rest of bet pack days are numbered unfortunately. It's an online game now and they cannot compete.

I'm not a fan of price screens in pub, it's almost a conversation starter now to ask someone the price of a horse, if you want to see a price screen head to the bookies, I do like having the pub and the bookies separate as well, but I agree it's an online game now, I've given up the online part of it and it's quite difficult now to put on a bet, don't know how I'm going to manager for the Galway races when I'm minding a 2 year old as well.

Got a hole in one today - chuffed with myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Got a hole in one today - chuffed with myself!

What was his name?

Johners Ma ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Johners Ma ;)

Ha ha. Sorry but was funny.

I am liking the look of tomorrow's card at Galway.

The 2m amateur race looks a cracker while perhaps not one to bet on.

Fancy bachusoon in the first. Was worried when the entries came out (there were only 11) that it would be a tiny field but it looks quality now. Not sure what his price will be

Fantasy football time again. Need to assemble my squad rapido

I've had roughly 5000000000000000000000000000000000000 drafts since i started. That's approx.

Why don't Irish handicap races have a Class system shown for each race like in the UK? It's so much easier to figure out if a horse is contesting a grade higher or lower both on the flat and jumps by quickly looking at the race name as the Class 4 etc is boldly displayed for all to see rather than in Ireland where you have to look at the small print to see if it's for 47-65 rated handicappers etc? Would be a very easy fix if someone in the industry would get it implemented.

• Advertisement
Advertisement