Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower Overheating issue

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Bruthal wrote: »
    No because I don't care. I'm just here to have a laugh.

Ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Ok.

Anyway I'm just having a laugh. I don't know the first thing about showers

Anyway I'm just having a laugh. I don't know the first thing about showers

You seem to have alot of knowledge yet made an error in one of your previous post, i make errors and admit them why cannot you admit you made an error in your post instead of getting personal?

You seem to have alot of knowledge yet made an error in one of your previous post, i make errors and admit them why cannot you admit you made an error in your post?
    Your definitely obsessed with it. I don't have a clue about it in reality. All guesswork.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

cerastes wrote: »
    I started reading the thread, was going to reply but got sidetracked.

Just wondering why you say this? The Triton T90's that Ive seen instructions for say an isolation switch should be fitted and used (switched off) when the shower is not in use.

My own if switched off when in use, will not operate if you try turn it back on soon after it has been running very warm/hot, (thermal cut off/out of some description on the can I'd say), when it does some of the water will still be hot, too hot for comfort.
    Ive tried to promote the idea of running it cold even briefly after finishing in the shower in my house but I may as well be talking to the dead or a wall, I do this on the basis that I think its safer if someone just gets in after another person has just finished and because I think its better (potential longevity of the shower life) not to let hot water just sit there. I also suggest for safety to let the shower run before its aimed at the person taking the shower, I do this as I dont like to get a blast of cold (or hot) water before the temp stabilises.

But I always shut off the isolation switch and only one has ever burned out and that was after edit over the duration of 2 tritons over 17 years, the first one shower lasted ten with heavy use.edit the first switch lasted 6 years and was replaced.

I had meant that not to use the bower button to turn the shower off. Some people use the pull cord to turn the shower itself off. This will damage the pull cord switch

If after you turn off the shower by its own power button then there is nothing wrong with you leaving the pull cord on or off. That choice is yours. :)

• Advertisement

Bruthal & Sir Arthur I don't claim to fully understand the argument but if Arthur is correct then if the mira elite is powered off & the micro switch was engaged / pushed in (sorry for the lack of the correct terminology) the water would heat up? If this is the case then I can test this for you later today.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Bruthal & Sir Arthur I don't claim to fully understand the argument but if Arthur is correct then if the mira elite is powered off & the micro switch was engaged / pushed in (sorry for the lack of the correct terminology) the water would heat up? If this is the case then I can test this for you later today.

It will heat up. I'm only having a laugh here.

The OP problem is likely limescale anyway. But showers often trip over heat stats after use anyway.

cerastes wrote: »
    I dont have a thermostatic mixer, looking to get one, but I still think they will be easier on the use of hot water/energy to heat (money) and water usage (money soon) than the electric, which I checked once and was suprised at the water usage. The shower from the hot water tank is just from the bath tap/shower connection currently, pressure is acceptable, despite this the other half prefers not to use it, even when there is water in the tank (another story/thread).

I was beginning to think from considering the operation of my shower (it expels some hot water if its turned on soon after its been used previously), its a T 90xr from reading here, I began to think that it might have a faulty outlet thermal cut out.
    from the diagram in the manual it looks like the cut out is available as a seperate replaceable component but with some wiring in the part numbered item.
    Although page 16 has a warning that confirms what happens with my shower. "That a slug of hot water can be expelled if turning on after recently turning shower off".

It looks like the outlet thermal cut out is connected/can interrupt the water supply via the inlet solenoid if operated. Although by the diagram I'm not sure how this is done unless there is other wiring not shown?

If you had a faulty tco you would have cold water all the time.
    Your tco is working perfectly.
    When you turn off the shower the water stops flowing through the heating can but the elements are still hot. So the elements continue to heat the already hot water remaining in the can, You will hear a little pop as the tco trips ( even though there is no power to the elements). If you turn on the shower now you'll get very hot water for a few seconds. This is normal & how all electric showers work. I'd imagine there is a warning in the manual. :)

If you had a faulty tco you would have cold water all the time.
    Your tco is working perfectly.
    When you turn off the shower the water stops flowing through the heating can but the elements are still hot. So the elements continue to heat the already hot water remaining in the can, You will hear a little pop as the tco trips ( even though there is no power to the elements). If you turn on the shower now you'll get very hot water for a few seconds. This is normal & how all electric showers work. I'd imagine there is a warning in the manual. :)

Do you ever descale any shower cans?

It will heat up. I'm only having a laugh here.

The OP problem is likely limescale anyway. But showers often trip over heat stats after use anyway.

Can we kiss & make up here. I'm a plumber by trade but specialize in showers (not a layman). I proudly say I know my showers.

You are a very knowledgeable guy & I don't claim to come close to what you know. I can learn from you & already have. But you have a habit of boxing someone in a corner & quite often for no reason. People slip up in their comments when heavy debate is going on doesn't mean you have to beat them with it.:)

Likewise I'm sorry for any comments that may have caused offense. :)

• Advertisement

Do you ever descale any shower cans?

No. I have tried in my workshop (setup for shower repair, power & water). I have heard people here doing it but in all honesty this might work on an element that isnt in a hard water area so they would have little or no limescale anyway.
    A badly limescale element might have 10mil of limescale on it. There is no descaler going to clean that.
    I have some elements at home with a lot of limescale. I'll try put them up later.

Can we kiss & make up here.
    Of course. I have been doing too much messing lately here.
    I'm a plumber by trade but specialize in showers (not a layman).
    Ive lots of time for plumbers in real life. I do some myself now and again(A layman plumber)
    I proudly say I know my showers
    Yes, you seem to alright.
    You are a very knowledgeable guy
    In all honesty, not really. I used to try assist people in the forum more, but the last while, I have only been having a laugh more. Getting carried away sometimes.
    I can learn from you & already have
    Every regular here has learned lots imo.
    But you have a habit of boxing someone in a corner & quite often for no reason. People slip up in their comments when heavy debate is going on doesn't mean you have to beat them with it.:)
    Yes, as I said, im messing too much. I probably always did a little. But worse now. I knew what you meant by pressure switch activating the micro switches.
    Likewise I'm sorry for any comments that may have caused offense. :)
    None did.

Of course. I have been doing too much messing lately here.
    I'm a plumber by trade but specialize in showers (not a layman).
    Ive lots of time for plumbers in real life. I do some myself now and again(A layman plumber)

Yes, you seem to alright.

In all honesty, not really. I used to try assist people in the forum more, but the last while, I have only been having a laugh more. Getting carried away sometimes.

Every regular here has learned lots imo.

Yes, as I said, im messing too much. I probably always did a little. But worse now. I knew what you meant by pressure switch activating the micro switches.

None did.

You just made my day! :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

.......and they all lived happily ever after :D:D

2011 wrote: »

No they didnt:pac::)

2011 wrote: »

Till the next time!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

I had meant that not to use the bower button to turn the shower off. Some people use the pull cord to turn the shower itself off. This will damage the pull cord switch

If after you turn off the shower by its own power button then there is nothing wrong with you leaving the pull cord on or off. That choice is yours. :)

Just a cautionery word re leaving pull cord on. A relative of mine was showering one day (Mira Sport) and just before she finished the shower the water pressure dropped off and the water went cold so she hopped out of the shower and forgot to press the on/off button. or pull the cord. She was out of the house for 3 or 4 hours and when she returned her bathroom had turned into a sauna and the shower was running. It was pretty obvious that the mains pressure had recovered while she was out and the shower just carried on. It was lucky she hadn't gone away on holidays for a week or so.

Just a cautionery word re leaving pull cord on. A relative of mine was showering one day (Mira Sport) and just before she finished the shower the water pressure dropped off and the water went cold so she hopped out of the shower and forgot to press the on/off button. or pull the cord. She was out of the house for 3 or 4 hours and when she returned her bathroom had turned into a sauna and the shower was running. It was pretty obvious that the mains pressure had recovered while she was out and the shower just carried on. It was lucky she hadn't gone away on holidays for a week or so.

If she walked away leaving a shower running which she was just after being standing in, then forgetting there is a pullchord at all would seem likely.

Good point.

If the house flooded or caught fire from the shower running she would have no one to blame but herself. She made a human error in turning off the shower. Mistakes are made every day by people doing their daily routine etc, mistakes are made in bed.
    Is the point you are making that people should turn off the pull cord switch after each use?

• Advertisement

If the house flooded or caught fire from the shower running she would have no one to blame but herself. She made a human error in turning off the shower. Mistakes are made every day by people doing their daily routine etc, mistakes are made in bed.
    Is the point you are making that people should turn off the pull cord switch after each use?

Yes that's the main point I am making, but because of the unusual circumstances she simply forgot both to press the stop button and to pull the cord switch, either of which would have prevented the shower from restarting.

Now of course the shower(s) could be designed with a start button and a latching relay which in the event of the above would trip thus stopping the shower restarting automatically after an upset. But all this costs money and in a competitive market etc etc. You can be sure that there are a few disasters (hopefully not fatal) each year because of "human errors" like the above but it is deemed an acceptable risk.

If she walked away leaving a shower running which she was just after being standing in, then forgetting there is a pullchord at all would seem likely.

I didn't quiz her too closely but I think the water flow stopped as she stepped out due to no mains pressure.

Yes that's the main point I am making, but because of the unusual circumstances she simply forgot both to press the stop button and to pull the cord switch, either of which would have prevented the shower from restarting.

You said the water went cold that was why she exited the shower, you didnt say earlier it stopped completely.

You said the water went cold that was why she exited the shower, you didnt say earlier it stopped completely.

That's correct, I didn't.

That's correct, I didn't.

I see your point that in a mains fed shower if the mains got cut it is possible to not switch off the button on the shower on exiting.

I see your point that in a mains fed shower if the mains got cut it is possible to not switch off the button on the shower on exiting.

Yes, and I'm just suggesting that its simply a good practice to pull the cord.

Yes, and I'm just suggesting that its simply a good practice to pull the cord.

That was probably her practice anyway.

An upset to the routine, and it probably got forgotten.

Now of course the shower(s) could be designed with a start button and a latching relay which in the event of the above would trip thus stopping the shower restarting automatically after an upset. But all this costs money and in a competitive market etc etc. You can be sure that there are a few disasters (hopefully not fatal) each year because of "human errors" like the above but it is deemed an acceptable risk.

Just to come back to you on this post wouldn't a timer be as easy as anything that is set to the duty cycle that the manufacturer recommends.

A little off the topic here but I hope this is ok.
    I got a call about a year ago on a Saturday morning,from a lady in Skerries. A polish lady, she told me the pump on her Triton T90xr wouldn't turn off. No water coming out put pump running. It didn't make sense to me but I quoted €75 call out & off I went.
    When I got there sure enough I heard the pump going but no water. I took the cover off, pump wasn't spinning but I could hear it loud & clear. I pulled the pull cord & still the noise.
    I wont describe everything I tried But I was there over half an hour and still no joy.
    I'd been up & down the stairs like a yo-yo. No noise in the attic & no noise downstairs. only noise in the bathroom. I shut the gas heating off, ran the taps, I even shut the power off to the whole house.
    I was going to tell I can't sort it out & there would be no charge as I couldn't fix it.
    I thought I'd take the cover off the shower again. Nothing. I felt the wall the shower was on, then the next tiled wall. Nothing. I put my hand on the glass shower screen to help myself up from a kneeling position. The shower glass was vibrating. I looked closer. I found a pink lady razor, the type that takes batteries. She had a shower at 6am & shaved her bits while showering. She turned off the shower but had left the razor vibrating against the glass. Not knowing this she assumed it was the shower pump!
    I charged her €50 & felt bad even at this because I hadn't repaired anything.

John T Carroll's story about his sister reminded me of this. This was the one job that I nearly walked away from! I'm glad I found out what was wrong. :)

• Advertisement

Good story sleeper12, i was expecting you to say it was another item that vibrates that women use. :pac:

Advertisement