Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada budget 3 months???

Options
  • 20-07-2014 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Me and my friend are in college and both planning to travel a bit around canada eg Alberta, Vancover for approx 3 months. We are wondering what would be cheapest and ideal way of doing this (hiring a caravan, hostels, etc..)

We are both saving up as much as we can but we'd love to make it as cheap as possible (we do realise canada is quite expensive) We are planning to eat cheap (salads, making food over a fire etc)

Can you tell me how much it would cost approx per person for the whole trip and any advice on accommodation and travelling??

Much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I'll start with its not going to be cheap. Caravan hire for 3 months would be out of the question, you would be looking at about 1000 cdn a week so 12000. Your best bet would be to find a used car or van for around 3-5000 then budget another 1000 fro insurance. Price of petrol has greatly increased in the last couple months, 1.30-1.50 per litre cdn. Vancouver accommodation is quite expensive, not sure what hostels are but was just there last month and it was over 100 euro a night for our hotel in richmond, but i'm sure there would be cheaper places.The price of everything has gone up substantially over the last 10 years, we went for breakfast at the white spot and it was over 40 cdn for the 2 of us. Its hard to put a price on what you are going to do but my estimate would be 5 to 7000 euro per person

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Postoffice123

I'll start with its not going to be cheap. Caravan hire for 3 months would be out of the question, you would be looking at about 1000 cdn a week so 12000. Your best bet would be to find a used car or van for around 3-5000 then budget another 1000 fro insurance. Price of petrol has greatly increased in the last couple months, 1.30-1.50 per litre cdn. Vancouver accommodation is quite expensive, not sure what hostels are but was just there last month and it was over 100 euro a night for our hotel in richmond, but i'm sure there would be cheaper places.The price of everything has gone up substantially over the last 10 years, we went for breakfast at the white spot and it was over 40 cdn for the 2 of us. Its hard to put a price on what you are going to do but my estimate would be 5 to 7000 euro per person

Wow that's a lot. I might have to rethink the holiday altogether. Thanks so much for your help, I'm sure I'll get there someday! Heard it's beautiful around the Vancouver area so hope to get there sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Wow that's a lot. I might have to rethink the holiday altogether. Thanks so much for your help, I'm sure I'll get there someday! Heard it's beautiful around the Vancouver area so hope to get there sometime.

Yes nothing is cheap there anymore, even to stay at a designated campsite with a tent is 10-20 cdn a night, And I forgot to mention its goinf to cost you around 1000 euro just for a return ticket over there

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

You would probably be bored after 3 months aswell.. And as mentioned it would be hugely expensive. I'd look at going somewhere else for the 3 months where you would get good value for money and have plenty of things to do.. South America maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Postoffice123

You would probably be bored after 3 months aswell.. And as mentioned it would be hugely expensive. I'd look at going somewhere else for the 3 months where you would get good value for money and have plenty of things to do.. South America maybe?

Well canada has been in our heads for a very long time now. But I get what you mean by the 3 months being too long.. Maybe if we stay in canada for even 3 weeks and move down to America or something for a month? Would that work out cheaper?

• Advertisement
Advertisement