Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rashers

• 20-07-2014 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I am looking to make rashers as I am living in Asia, and can't find any. So my question is does anyone have a recipe how to make them? I have some cure#1 and I can go to a butcher to get what ever kind of cut I need. I am just wondering what cut of meat is right, what else do I need other than cure#1, and to dry cure the meat do I just rub the salt on and how long do I leave it resting in a cool place?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Where in Asia? Unless you're in a Muslim country most good supermarkets located near the diplomatic quarter will stock pork products. A lot of the rashers will be Canadian or Danish but not a bad substitute. Likewise, not sure what city you are in but if there's a super Carrefour nearby they normally have a pretty extensive range.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 patricklh

Merkin wrote: »
    Where in Asia? Unless you're in a Muslim country most good supermarkets located near the diplomatic quarter will stock pork products. A lot of the rashers will be Canadian or Danish but not a bad substitute. Likewise, not sure what city you are in but if there's a super Carrefour nearby they normally have a pretty extensive range.

I'm in Korea and the only bacon I can find is streaky bacon and I couldn't find any foreign supermarket other than Costco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

patricklh wrote: »
    I'm in Korea and the only bacon I can find is streaky bacon and I couldn't find any foreign supermarket other than Costco.

Does Samsung Tesco not stock some UK products or is it domestically focused?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 patricklh

Unfortunately Homeplus (Tesco Samsung) is much the same as the other supermarkets, most supermarkets carry streaky bacon which is just not the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Pork belly will give you streaky bacon rashers. Pork Loin will give you back bacon rashers.

You can also cure goat, duck, lamb etc.

Google home cured bacon for some recipes.

F.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Go to a butcher while you are home & they will give you expert advice & all the info you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is the cure a mix of saltpetre and salt? Or just the saltpetre?
    You need to be careful measuring the saltpetre if it's not premixed

I use half salt, half sugar
    And my salt is a mix of fine curing salt and very coarse sea salt

I also chop bay leaves up very finely and add a few white peppercorns and a couple allspice or juniper berries ground up in the curing mix

If you can get meat with plenty of fat in it, it'll cook better, you can see here that you often get awful dry rashers with very little fat and a dry 'eye' to the rasher

You want to shave the skin or burn off any hairs, score the skin, to let the cure in
    Use a non-reactive dish and put some cure in, then the meat, cover the top and sides, and turn the meat every day, or even 12 hours
    See how it is in 5 days, and in 7
    Ten days would leave it awful salty, but you can soak rashers to get the salt out handy enough, where a lump of bacon or ham takes ages

Advertisement