Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delonghi Magnifica settings

• 20-07-2014 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Got one of the Delonghi esam bean to cup machines a month or so back and it has been going great but I would prefer the coffee a bit stronger. For an Americano style, I brew 2 single shots, and have the coffee strength set at nearly the max (about 3 on a clock) and the water at almost minimum (9). Still looks a little pale... any other settings I could try? I know quite a few people have probably picked one up from the Bargain Alerts posts the past few months so any tips from owners would be appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Two other things to try:
    - try a finer grind (factory setting is for a medium-to-coarse grind)
    - try a different coffee.

But don't ask me to taste your brew. It sounds like you like things ferociously strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not sure which one you have, but mine has a button for "taste" going from extra mild, mild, standard, strong & extra strong. I have my grind as fine as it will go without failing to grind at all, and the water as hot as it will go, plus i'm using good strong coffee (java republic munkey beans) and it's been great so far, 4000+ shots later (since xmas). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks guys. I have changed the grind setting one click anticlockwise from 5 to 4 (out of 7 - 7 being the coarsest grind I think?) so it might do the trick. It says it takes a few cups to take effect.

Vibe, this is the one I have
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-ESAM04-110-S-Magnifica-Espresso-Cappuccino/dp/B002ID1XXK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1405929061&sr=8-6&keywords=delonghi+esam
    Don't think it has that button but the grind setting know probably does similar.

Thanks again guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Hey guys

Got one of the Delonghi esam bean to cup machines a month or so back and it has been going great but I would prefer the coffee a bit stronger. For an Americano style, I brew 2 single shots, and have the coffee strength set at nearly the max (about 3 on a clock) and the water at almost minimum (9). Still looks a little pale... any other settings I could try? I know quite a few people have probably picked one up from the Bargain Alerts posts the past few months so any tips from owners would be appreciated!

Thanks

Picked up the same model as yourself Eclec,

Have the grider set to 2. Any lower and it cloggs up and comes out way to slow. Coffee Strengh set to max ( Dont actually know what this really does). Water temp to medium...
    For Americano I use a double shot of espresso topped up with off the boil water. The volume I have set is that a double shot of espresso gives me two espresso cups of coffee.
    I must say im really enjoying the machine and finding the milk very easy to steam as well.. The crema is producing has been great although I have been using good quality beans all the time(Badger & Dodo and Bailles)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Also have same model ... I have the same settings as you for strength and water, and find it fine!

Maybe it's your coffee???

The Starter espresso Pack from Bailies is defo worth a try - good value too!

Have settled on Sumatra Mandheling beans ... on somebody else's recommendation - lovely coffee and great value.

• Advertisement

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Also have same model ... I have the same settings as you for strength and water, and find it fine!

Maybe it's your coffee???

The Starter espresso Pack from Bailies is defo worth a try - good value too!

Have settled on Sumatra Mandheling beans ... on somebody else's recommendation - lovely coffee and great value.

Was looking at them myself, great price for 1kg if the quality is good. Will get an order in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks for all the advice guys. Seemed much better at a grind setting of 4 today rather than previous 5. Am using some nice Ponticelli coffee I got yesterday (roast date of 15th July).

Thanks for the tip about the sumatra - will check it out :)

Anybosy else having issues sometimes when steaming milf with this. Over the last few days milk will not foam up at all. Sometimes its ok and sometime the milk just stays runny..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Glebee wrote: »
    Anybosy else having issues sometimes when steaming milf with this. Over the last few days milk will not foam up at all. Sometimes its ok and sometime the milk just stays runny..

I get the odd dud froth these days but rare enough:
    - Once you take off the wand - also clean out the plastic piece the odd time
    - Make sure your milk is cold!
    - If you hear the "screaming" sound - stop, you won't get a good froth. There isn't enough air getting into the wand. Take the wand out of milk and make sure it's not blocked. You may also be too close to side or bottom of jug.
    - Putting the wand near the bottom of the jug tends to get the best froth (I think)
    - Use a frothing thermometer

Advertisement