Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really need your help!

Options
  • 20-07-2014 11:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭

Im 21y/o -My family is moving to Portlaoise so I have to find my own house with my gf whos pregnant. My pay is 8.65p/h. Its pretty stressful stage. So I'm here to ask you any ideas where could I move where is cheap houses or apartments. I do realise if I get a house bills might be 40% more.At one stage I was thinking to move to Portlaoise,but its the distance and time + my most important thing in my life that my gf is pregnant and we will have a baby there wont be her working till child is grown or until we afford or find a babysitter. I work early mornings 6:30am till 4pm.. So Portlaoise is no good for me and I do not have my own transport. Yes houses are cheap there e550 per month.. Though monthly train ticket e315. For me it would be way too stressful 10% of my day spent in transport and time is money ;/.. Would be very great to hear helpful answers. I hope you do understand how life changes when your waiting for something so important in your life.. Please HELP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

It might be helpful you gave the location in which you need to rent - you mention having to be in work for 6:30am and that you don't have your own transport, as must public transport only starts at that time you need to be within walking/cycling distance of your place of work.

Budget would also be a helpful piece of information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭n0ak

Anywhere Co.Dublin nice house + 2 bed. Transport close, shops , park. :) Thank u Morrigan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

n0ak wrote: »
    Anywhere Co.Dublin nice house + 2 bed. Transport close, shops , park. :) Thank u Morrigan

Sounds like you're seeking the holy grail! Are you receiving any benefit or are you both living off your wages? Not sure how you can afford what you're looking for on your pay

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Morrigan is right, try to find accommodation as close as is possible for your budget to your work so that you cut down or cut out travel expense and time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

2 bed houses in Lucan, D15 etc- are now north of 1,000 a month.........
    You are not going to find accommodation in Co. Dublin on the budget you're suggesting.

Check and see if you're eligible for FIS or any other payments- because the budget you're currently suggesting- does not add up...........

• Advertisement

That post is about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard if I'm honest n0ak.
    Could you narrow it down to an area, like your work location?
    Again, what is your budget for renting?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm going Off topic for this.

Your 21 getting minimum wage and about to have a kid. Have you any qualifications ? Did you do your LC?

At 16 I was making twice the minimum wage with just a life guard qualification. You need to invest time into getting an qualification so that in future you'll earn more. A part time course/ apprentice/ full time course are avenues that you should explore.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Lusk?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Roselm wrote: »
    Lusk?

Have you looked on the usual property websites? Dont know of I can mention their names here.You can put in your budget and that you want 2 bed etc
    I had a quick look but what's coming up for under 750 per month is mostly 1 bed or inner city.
    I just guessed at the budget. But I think you might need to find out if ye are entitled to rent supplement as I think you're going to struggle on one minimum wage...
    Hope this works out well for you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

You wont need a 2 bedroom, the baby can sleep in the main bedroom. Also, when the baby is born, apply for Family Income Supplement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Im 21y/o -My family is moving to Portlaoise so I have to find my own house with my gf whos pregnant. My pay is 8.65p/h. Its pretty stressful stage. So I'm here to ask you any ideas where could I move where is cheap houses or apartments. I do realise if I get a house bills might be 40% more.At one stage I was thinking to move to Portlaoise,but its the distance and time + my most important thing in my life that my gf is pregnant and we will have a baby there wont be her working till child is grown or until we afford or find a babysitter. I work early mornings 6:30am till 4pm.. So Portlaoise is no good for me and I do not have my own transport. Yes houses are cheap there e550 per month.. Though monthly train ticket e315. For me it would be way too stressful 10% of my day spent in transport and time is money ;/.. Would be very great to hear helpful answers. I hope you do understand how life changes when your waiting for something so important in your life.. Please HELP

Where do you work?

I was Kithcen Porter.,well still I am mon-friday 8am-4pm-its been 1 year now., went to Supervisor for 2 months in Pizza Bar it was the same place I am now on Harcourt Dublin 2 - just evening hours from wed-Sun. Was getting 430 a week + tips, place bankrupted after 2 months and now im Back to KP + I got family problems - well I cant really say that its just I have no father, who is careless about me. I never did anything to him I was 5 when he left me and my 11month older brother!! Please people dont be so rude if you knew my childhood + drug addiction at young age 14. !!! I did finish LC 320 points. Was smoking weed alot. Was bullied in school tried to fit in but nothing really. I was mitching school so bad I hated it, I didnt speak English at the start it was so hard guys, people where making fun of me I knew I was stronger than them I just ignored Drimnagh was full of knackers I was affraid from them all these young careless dummies :( I hit depression and its coming back.Some of you just made tear in my eye so I thought I will open myself. Im not trying to get,, sorries from you guys.. My work place is nuts. Manager is telling me do this and that,everything they cant get cover if someone is sick for most of the time. Boss doesnt know me he is rich and still will pay me for first months minimum because I need to be practised well manager told me that, though I think its the bosses IdeA, and I do know how to make coffe,very well. Im Kitchen Porter who does FY&*^& everything when it gets busy or there is no cover. Make coffe, serve customers ,till,tables, etc. I was a Supervisor I got such a great experience I learned alot in my life my English got so much better after 3rd year. But now at this stage people just realise what kind a guy I am. But I aint trust no one these days. I never exploded in my workplace, but it feels like I will. Everything worries me Im depressed. All I want is my Gf and my baby to stay in my eyes till the moment I die!

MouseTail wrote: »
    You wont need a 2 bedroom, the baby can sleep in the main bedroom. Also, when the baby is born, apply for Family Income Supplement.

Well we got lots of stuff so thats why we were thinking 2 bed !! Bud 1 bed Should be ok :) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Does your girlfriend earn wages?

Well at the moment I get 8.65 till November ! As I mentioned on the long text they wont pay me 10e for the 1st month. Barista's there get 10e .. Im very fast used a bit like a slave. They ain't Irish all foreigners there

MouseTail wrote: »
    Roselm wrote: »
    Have you looked on the usual property websites? Dont know of I can mention their names here.You can put in your budget and that you want 2 bed etc
    I had a quick look but what's coming up for under 750 per month is mostly 1 bed or inner city.
    I just guessed at the budget. But I think you might need to find out if ye are entitled to rent supplement as I think you're going to struggle on one minimum wage...
    Hope this works out well for you guys.

Yes indeed Ros ;) Thanks. My gf tried Health - Centre . Citizens Information centre ! Nothing possible for us thats what they said :(

N0ak, you're still not answering anyones questions. We don't need your life story, we need a budget here.

ted1 wrote: »
    I'm going Off topic for this.

Your 21 getting minimum wage and about to have a kid. Have you any qualifications ? Did you do your LC?

At 16 I was making twice the minimum wage with just a life guard qualification. You need to invest time into getting an qualification so that in future you'll earn more. A part time course/ apprentice/ full time course are avenues that you should explore.

All the best.

Thanks,your right I just shud have got myself together, but depression destroyed me and weed addiction !!After LC I went to ITB computer engineering. For a pothead like I was that was though , lazy , would smoke up to forget about everything, would act like such a fake person in public , people did like me, but I got wrong group (" ahh there is no point going to this lecture lets get wacked !!! "

<mod snip>

N0ak, you're still not answering anyones questions. We don't need your life story, we need a budget here.

8am - 4pm 8.65 p/h !! So what do you think ? I know people are careless these days. Read stop trying to be though. Move the part of your brain u never moved before !! Astral Project and you will see what person you are :rolleyes: 320 per week

8am - 4pm 8.65 p/h !! So what do you think ? I know people are careless these days. Read stop trying to be though. Move the part of your brain u never moved before !! Astral Project and you will see what person you are :rolleyes: 320 per week

That isn't your budget - that is your wages. We have no idea how much of that has to go on other bills..

So again I'll ask you - What is your budget for renting?

Also, if you continue to be rude I'll just lock your thread, people are here to help and you're not even answering their simple questions in order to allow them do that.

• Advertisement

Does your girlfriend earn wages?

yes but she will be on maternity leave on September !!! every 2 weeks 200-400

That isn't your budget - that is your wages. We have no idea how much of that has to go on other bills..

So again I'll ask you - What is your budget for renting?

Also, if you continue to be rude I'll just lock your thread, people are here to help and you're not even answering their simple questions in order to allow them do that.

Sorry I've just never been in such stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Ok. Simple question: what is the maximum rent you think you can pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

€320 per week is €1300 per month

Have you done a rough (or better yet, detailed) budget?

Electricity / Gas
    Food
    Debts/loans
    Medical
    Phone
    TV licence
    Transport
    Spending
    = amount available to pay Rent

It's going to be tight, but if you're determined, you can do it.

Good on you on for standing by your girlfriend and fingers crossed you build a family together that helps you move on from the sh*t start you've had in life. Many other people have begun in the gutter or found themselves there at some stage and have worked their way out, so it is possible. Just remember that when people are trying to help you here, they're (hopefully) giving you the benefit of their experience. I come from a family of immigrants, and my OH speaks English as a second language, so it can be done.

N0ak - right now the only advice I can give you is to sit down and look at what you both earn and what you both spend.
    You don't seem to know what you're doing, or what you need to know in order to rent. I realised you're stressed but that isn't going to stop the countdown to the new arrival.

Maybe try a practice run on playing renters while your parents are still around. Give them rent, pay the electric/gas/ entertainment bills, buy your own groceries etc and see how you fare out.
    Get onto Daft.ie and see what the price of one bedroom apartments are in Dublin city centre.
    Contact the Social Welfare and see if you are entitled to any help from them.
    Draw up a budget and stick to it
    Cut out drink & cigs, drugs if you're still using and anything that is considered a luxury.

You really need to get your head around the fact that you have to grow up really fast and be responsible for yourself, your gf and the baby. Coming on here giving your life story is not going to help you - you have to start researching the expenses that are going to hit you and try to budget properly to deal with it. This may sound harsh, but your past is not an excuse here and you need to step up and sort this out before the baby arrives.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

n0ak - you need to sit down with a sheet of paper. On one side- put down all your income. Don't count things that are not absolutely certain (like tips etc)- just pure income. Once the baby is born, you'll also get children's benefit- of about 140-150 a month (please someone look up the exact amount- I don't have the energy to).

On the other side of the page- put down your expenditure- the list above is a good list- perhaps you have other things too though?

Cut all alcohol, cigarettes completely- and pare discretionary spending to the bone.

What have you left? That is what your absolutely max budget is- you *cannot* under any circumstance go higher than this.

Any tips etc- are extra and do not budget for them- because they sure as hell are not certain.......

So- sit down with a sheet of paper- and be honest about it. It sounds like you've never done a budget before in your life- you *have to* now- your partner and your child depend on it..........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Relax N0ak, you need to start thinking a bit calmer.

Is there no way yourself and the GF could go to Portlaoise? Yes, commuting would be hard, but loads of people do it and it might be a more stable environment with your family around. It's hard to do everything at once i.e. leave your family, move in with GF, have a baby. Even if you could find a 'halfway' solution for a year that would get you through. Have you a relative in Dublin you two could live with? Has she? Even if you were working and she was home with the baby (say with your Mam around), then that would be a good solution.

I think you need to go back to Citizen's Information and see what your Social Welfare options are going to be over the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Will your girlfriend qualify for maternity benefit?

Also - where is your girlfriend currently living and is moving in with her an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I agree Noak that you are going to have to come at this with a clear head. It is going to be extremely financially tough for you. Can you sell all that excess stuff you need the second bedroom for? that can be your deposit, and basics for the baby (great stuff on adverts.ie and facebook buy and sell groups for a fraction of the new price).

When the baby comes, I calculate you will get around €100 a week Family Income Supplement, and €130 a month child benefit. You should also apply to the Council for a Council house.

Where does your girlfriends mam live, as a young mother she needs all the support she can get, so should live near family.

• Advertisement

Ok. Simple question: what is the maximum rent you think you can pay?

750 . Thanks pal

Advertisement