Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really need your help!

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭n0ak

Relax N0ak, you need to start thinking a bit calmer.

Is there no way yourself and the GF could go to Portlaoise? Yes, commuting would be hard, but loads of people do it and it might be a more stable environment with your family around. It's hard to do everything at once i.e. leave your family, move in with GF, have a baby. Even if you could find a 'halfway' solution for a year that would get you through. Have you a relative in Dublin you two could live with? Has she? Even if you were working and she was home with the baby (say with your Mam around), then that would be a good solution.

I think you need to go back to Citizen's Information and see what your Social Welfare options are going to be over the next while.

Thanks pal ;) i guess on FIS :/ . I've lots of friends in Dublin her mum and brother lives here.. But she got
    Problems herself. Thank God her cancer is gone..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

n0ak wrote: »
    Thanks pal ;) i guess on FIS :/ . I've lots of friends in Dublin her mum and brother lives here.. But she got
    Problems herself. Thank God her cancer is gone..

Can I suggest you get in contact with your local Family Resource Centre. They are great places that provide support and help to families who may be struggling or facing difficulties. Non judgemental and safe.

http://www.familyresource.ie/centres.php

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

on_my_oe wrote: »
    €320 per week is €1300 per month

Have you done a rough (or better yet, detailed) budget?

Electricity / Gas
    Food
    Debts/loans
    Medical
    Phone
    TV licence
    Transport
    Spending
    = amount available to pay Rent

It's going to be tight, but if you're determined, you can do it.

Good on you on for standing by your girlfriend and fingers crossed you build a family together that helps you move on from the sh*t start you've had in life. Many other people have begun in the gutter or found themselves there at some stage and have worked their way out, so it is possible. Just remember that when people are trying to help you here, they're (hopefully) giving you the benefit of their experience. I come from a family of immigrants, and my OH speaks English as a second language, so it can be done.

320 a week is 1390 a month. Not 1300

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

:o Sorry, mental arithmetic is bit off kilter post painkillers - did €300, not €320

Still, will be very tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

on_my_oe wrote: »
    :o Sorry, mental arithmetic is bit off kilter post painkillers - did €300, not €320

Still, will be very tough

Surely the OP will have some deductions from that, doesn't USC kick in even for low paid workers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

athtrasna wrote: »
    Surely the OP will have some deductions from that, doesn't USC kick in even for low paid workers?
    I work early mornings 6:30am till 4pm..

Painkillers still present but 9.5 hrs per day, less 1hr for lunch and two 15 minutes breaks should leave 8hrs x5 days, 40 hrs x €8.65 = €346 gross / €326 net (basic check via PWC income tax calculator). Again, my arithmetic is probably shoddy.

No matter which you chop it, tight for a family of two, shortly to become three.

Will your girlfriend qualify for maternity benefit?

Also - where is your girlfriend currently living and is moving in with her an option?

Yes;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes;)

Yes to which of the three questions!

Does she work at all?

If she gets maternity benefit, it's 230 per week, taxed.

pwurple wrote: »
    Yes to which of the three questions!

Does she work at all?

If she gets maternity benefit, it's 230 per week, taxed.

She is the best girl I've met trust me buddie of course Ill with her. She only works 2 hours a day. 9.85 ph .. Till end of august since she got
    Pregnant her hours got cut :/. I will be getting 10 euro after august per hour.. 9hrs every day.. Stil gonna go take sumthn if I have from tax office.. Took 7 months ago so hopefu there is something, so i can make ok start.
    Expenditures baby stuff 50-80 a week, food for
    Ourslefs 50 a week.say house is 750, ticket to work 20 week. Esb, gas - 100"150. Wont have any tv channels ill get that easy way without paying. Internet 50 a month. wage 340 a week for me just till September... After 400-420 ,Fis 100 every week. Gf gets maternity for im not sure how many months lets say 5. So 230.. For 5-6 months. I try to save as much as i can start thinking of ways making money online ! Maybe got any hints? I would Do some badaz research of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

She is the best girl I've met trust me buddie of course Ill with her. She only works 2 hours a day. 9.85 ph .. Till end of august since she got
    Pregnant her hours got cut :/. I will be getting 10 euro after august per hour.. 9hrs every day.. Stil gonna go take sumthn if I have from tax office.. Took 7 months ago so hopefu there is something, so i can make ok start.
    Expenditures baby stuff 50-80 a week, say house is 750, ticket to work 20 week. Esb, gas - 100"150. Wont have any tv channels ill get that easy way without paying. Internet 50 a month. wage 340 a week for me.. Fis 100 every week. Gf gets maternity for im not sure how many months lets say 5. So 230.. For 5-6 months. I try to save as much as i can start thinking of ways making money online ! Maybe got any hints? I would Do some badaz research of it..

Ok I'm gonna say it, you need to move out of Dublin, you can't support a family on that money in Dublin, but you will earn that kind of money outside Dublin where the cost of living is cheaper. You don't necessarily have to go to portlaoise, but you definitely need to move somewhere within your income bracket.

It's going to be a struggle bringing up a baby in Dublin on that money, even if you were to move outside and get social welfare, you'd get a house and all that and you'd maybe be able to go on a course that's going to allow you to earn more in the future, I really think you're going to have to start thinking along those lines.

http://www.daft.ie/kildare/houses-to-rent/?s%5Bmxp%5D=650&s%5Bmnb%5D=3

http://www.daft.ie/laois/houses-to-rent/portlaoise/?s%5Bmxp%5D=650&s%5Bmnb%5D=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

The Spider wrote: »
    Ok I'm gonna say it, you need to move out of Dublin, you can't support a family on that money in Dublin, but you will earn that kind of money outside Dublin where the cost of living is cheaper. You don't necessarily have to go to portlaoise, but you definitely need to move somewhere within your income bracket.

It's going to be a struggle bringing up a baby in Dublin on that money, even if you were to move outside and get social welfare, you'd get a house and all that and you'd maybe be able to go on a course that's going to allow you to earn more in the future, I really think you're going to have to start thinking along those lines.

He can't support his family full stop. His family is 100% going to be dependent on the state all due to a complete lack of responsibility.

I know couples in their 30s with full time positions and a house who still feel they can't afford having children.

I'm truly sorry for OP's past, but it does not justify irresponsible behavior.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Expenditures baby stuff 50-80 a week, food for
    Ourslefs 50 a week.say house is 750, ticket to work 20 week. Esb, gas - 100"150. Wont have any tv channels ill get that easy way without paying. Internet 50 a month. wage 340 a week for me just till September... After 400-420 ,Fis 100 every week. Gf gets maternity for im not sure how many months lets say 5. So 230.. For 5-6 months. I try to save as much as i can start thinking of ways making money online ! Maybe got any hints? I would Do some badaz research of it..

You need to add everything up
    House 750: I've just been on daft and couldn't find a single apartment for that amount, I suspect you need to increase it by at least €100

So lets say
    Rent €850
    Baby €80
    Ticket to work (per month) €87
    Food €50
    ESB €100
    Gas €100

That's a total of €1267 that you need for the bare minimum per month.
    Your current wage is bringing in €1390 per month leaving you with €123 per month after you basically exist. You may get FIS which is another €100 which really is very little to have left over, for clothing, doctors visits and other unexpected expenses.

If you get a payrise, you will pay more tax so you need to take that into account. And your gf may not qualify for maternity benefit, it's subject to how much PRSI she has paid, and I'm not sure she'll have paid enough working 2 hours a day.

You need to

1. Do up a list with realistic costs as above and include things like clothing, doctors visits, increased bills in the wintertime etc.
    2. Check what you will be entitled to after the baby comes.
    3. Check if your girlfriend qualifies for maternity benefit.

Then when you know this, you can then plan based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

What's wrong with the place your girlfriend presently lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Eldarion wrote: »
    He can't support his family full stop. His family is 100% going to be dependent on the state all due to a complete lack of responsibility.

I know couples in their 30s with full time positions and a house who still feel they can't afford having children.

I'm truly sorry for OP's past, but it does not justify irresponsible behavior.

We're not here to be judgemental. Constructive posts only please.

I will be getting 410 I'd say on September. Per week. We both have medical cards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I will be getting 410 I'd say on September. Per week. We both have medical cards

Since you said that you'd be going to 10EUR/hour, I'll take this as gross. That works out to just under 360/week after tax. Your girlfriend gets ~100/week (I'll ignore maternity benefit for the sake that she'll only get it temporarily). I'm getting different amounts for the FIS depending on circumstances (and technically at 510/week gross you're over the limit for one child) so I'll ignore it for now.

Now you've got 460/week to live on or just under 2k/month. Your housing should be as a rule of thumb no more than 30% of your gross pay so it's about 675/month. You could stretch that a bit but it would mean making cuts in other areas. Honestly it'll be tough to find somewhere in Dublin at 750/month and it will certainly have to be a studio apartment or a one bed. Due to the market, landlords may find it preferable to rent a one bed to a single person rather than a family of 2+1 new arrival.

The other issue I haven't taken into account is childcare costs. This may be fine if your girlfriend's employer has facilities available or it's a work environment where you can safely have a baby there, but at 2 hours a day at less than 10/hour, it could cost you more in childcare costs than what she makes in work.

Advertisement