Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank forged signature

Options
  • 20-07-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have a question regarding insurance. It has come to my attention recently that my bank forged my signature on my mortgage protection policy 7 years ago. I have been paying the premiums all this time. Has anyone else come across this or know of anyone who has had this happen to them and what was outcome of it. Bank and provider know at present and are holding investigations. Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

If it comes to light that someone in the bank definitely forged your signature, they'll refund you and it would be hugely surprising if they didn't also offer compensation. Did someone admit to wrong doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 honeybuns

If it comes to light that someone in the bank definitely forged your signature, they'll refund you and it would be hugely surprising if they didn't also offer compensation. Did someone admit to wrong doing?

No one has admitted but it was the official that sold us our mortgage. No offer made as yet both bank and provider are doing investigations so may way and see. Was just wondering has anyone else been thru this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

I've heard of this happening. Obviously forgery is illegal and has its consequences for the individual involved.

However there will be an argument that this was done in your interest so as not to hold up mortgage drawdown etc. Also you would have received a policy document when the policy was taken out, see the DD going out every month for the last 7 years, so have had both the benefit of the policy as well as ample opportunity to cancel it over the term.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

MammaZita wrote: »
    However there will be an argument that this was done in your interest so as not to hold up mortgage drawdown etc. Also you would have received a policy document when the policy was taken out, see the DD going out every month for the last 7 years, so have had both the benefit of the policy as well as ample opportunity to cancel it over the term.

This is poor advice. The OP may not have seen an individual payment for the insurance, it was likely bundled into the single debit including the mortgage,

Forgery is forgery, and the bank (by implication that it's own employee forged the signature) is fully liable for a refund of the premia (?) paid, and as Nervous Wreck said, some compensation would be in order too.

Spocker wrote: »
    This is poor advice. The OP may not have seen an individual payment for the insurance, it was likely bundled into the single debit including the mortgage,

Forgery is forgery, and the bank (by implication that it's own employee forged the signature) is fully liable for a refund of the premia (?) paid, and as Nervous Wreck said, some compensation would be in order too.

I wasn't giving advice I was simply saying that the bank may offer this as a (totally unacceptable) counter argument.

Life assurance is a requirement on a mortgage on your dwelling home. Had the OP arranged his / her own lifecover which he/she neglected to assign to the bank?

It would be highly unusual that this would be a single DD especially as the OP has said it was a different provider (for whom the bank was likely an agent, tied or otherwise).

Of course the bank will refund, with interest, offer nominal compensation and very likely get the OP to sign a confidentiality letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzaDP

honeybuns wrote: »
    It has come to my attention recently that my bank forged my signature on my mortgage protection policy 7 years ago.

That's quite a bold statement to make. What are you basing this on? The fact you can't remember signing up for it? Or do you have a copy of the application and it's definitely not your signature? How to handle will depend on your answer to that.

I wasn't giving advice I was simply saying that the bank may offer this as a (totally unacceptable) counter argument.

Life assurance is a requirement on a mortgage on your dwelling home. Had the OP arranged his / her own lifecover which he/she neglected to assign to the bank?

It would be highly unusual that this would be a single DD especially as the OP has said it was a different provider (for whom the bank was likely an agent, tied or otherwise).

Of course the bank will refund, with interest, offer nominal compensation and very likely get the OP to sign a confidentiality letter.

Single payment 1 dd comes out. I had been questioning the benefits of the policy as I had no copy documents this is how it came about. I requested a copy of what we signed. And if course we had not signed.

Single payment 1 dd comes out. I had been questioning the benefits of the policy as I had no copy documents this is how it came about. I requested a copy of what we signed. And if course we had not signed.

And did it not cross your mind that you had a mortgsge but no life assurance? Or we're you aware you had a policy in place?

Did you never question why the single DD was higher than what your mortgage payments should have been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Did you never question why the single DD was higher than what your mortgage payments should have been?
    People (unfortunately) rely on banks to tell them what they do and don't require in order to draw down a mortgage.
    Again, people look at their payments in terms of what they are and whether they're increasing or not. If your bank tells you that your monthly payment is €1000 and it doesn't increase or decrease unusually it's actual work to figure out that there's a problem.

BazzaDP wrote: »
    That's quite a bold statement to make. What are you basing this on? The fact you can't remember signing up for it? Or do you have a copy of the application and it's definitely not your signature? How to handle will depend on your answer to that.

Had to request a copy and it's Def not my signature nor husbands.

• Advertisement

People (unfortunately) rely on banks to tell them what they do and don't require in order to draw down a mortgage.

House and life assurance are 2 givens though- I'd be very surprised that a mortgage holder would not be aware of the requirement for both. Also it would come up in conversation with your solicitor too.

The bank are obviously at fault here but the customer also had the "benefit" (perceived or otherwise) of the policy for the last 7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

House and life assurance are 2 givens though- I'd be very surprised that a mortgage holder would not be aware of the requirement for both. Also it would come up in conversation with your solicitor too.
    The OP doesn't appear to have actually questioned the fact that a policy of some kind involved, or that they needed it, just that it was undertaken with a forged signature.
    The bank are obviously at fault here but the customer also had the "benefit" (perceived or otherwise) of the policy for the last 7 years.
    I'd suggest that now that the forgery has come to light it transpired that the OP was never actually insured. If it came out in the event of a claim the OP would likely have ended up in limbo while the bank argued over eventually assuming liability. They're probably due a refund as they technically weren't insured.

How the bank will proceed is another question. Possibly a new policy, a refund of some kind and a non-disclosure agreement to make them forget the legal/regulatory side of the issue.

We had assumed we had all this done - there were so many forms that were signed this is why we did not question it. But I decided to price around this year for possibly cheaper quotes something I had put off for some time. Quotes were coming in exceptionally cheaper and a provider asked me what our benefits were with existing policy. This is when I went back to bank and asked for paperwork - this was the only paperwork I was missing. According to my provider if a claim arose on this policy that the policy would not pay out as the signatures would not match so really over last 7 years we have not been covered but have been paying premiums. No talk of returning premiums has spoken I suppose on both investigations are finalised. Ultimately it is fraud on behalf of the bank the manager has as good as said that so this is where we are at the moment. We have to organise a new policy as we are not covered.

We had assumed we had all this done - there were so many forms that were signed this is why we did not question it. But I decided to price around this year for possibly cheaper quotes something I had put off for some time. Quotes were coming in exceptionally cheaper and a provider asked me what our benefits were with existing policy. This is when I went back to bank and asked for paperwork - this was the only paperwork I was missing. According to my provider if a claim arose on this policy that the policy would not pay out as the signatures would not match so really over last 7 years we have not been covered but have been paying premiums. No talk of returning premiums has spoken I suppose on both investigations are finalised. Ultimately it is fraud on behalf of the bank the manager has as good as said that so this is where we are at the moment. We have to organise a new policy as we are not covered.

Organise a new policy as a matter of urgency especially as there are 2 of you.

As you will both now be 7 years older (and may also have increased premia due to changes in family or indeed your own health), this will need to be compensated by your current bank also.

Organise a new policy as a matter of urgency especially as there are 2 of you.

As you will both now be 7 years older (and may also have increased premia due to changes in family or indeed your own health), this will need to be compensated by your current bank also.

We have already been quoted and are just waiting on forms to sign yes we are 7 years older health circumstances have not changed - family has grown a bit but 1 actually and quotations thankfully have not increased. Mammazita have you come across this sort of thing before.

We have already been quoted and are just waiting on forms to sign yes we are 7 years older health circumstances have not changed - family has grown a bit but 1 actually and quotations thankfully have not increased. Mammazita have you come across this sort of thing before.

I've heard of this and similar happening. Generally while it is absolutely forgery and totally unacceptable, it was foolishly and stupidly done by an overworked bank official often under pressure by the clients solicitor that drawdown is required in X number of days or worse again, their own manager to get the paperwork off the desk and on to the mortgage drawdown department, with no gain for themselves.

No doubt heads will roll. But I'd definitely get the other policy in place, as if the worst were to happen, the fact you and your partner are now actually aware that you have no lifecover, would put you in a very different position than it might have 6 months ago.

I've heard of this and similar happening. Generally while it is absolutely forgery and totally unacceptable, it was foolishly and stupidly done by an overworked bank official often under pressure by the clients solicitor that drawdown is required in X number of days or worse again, their own manager to get the paperwork off the desk and on to the mortgage drawdown department, with no gain for themselves.

No doubt heads will roll. But I'd definitely get the other policy in place, as if the worst were to happen, the fact you and your partner are now actually aware that you have no lifecover, would put you in a very different position than it might have 6 months ago.

Do you know what the outcome generally is. we have been advised that it is a matter for the gardai. This employee left their employ 6 months after this occurred. The Manager said had he still worked there it would be on the spot firing and then an investigation. There was no reason for this to be done - we both worked in same area 5 mins from bank. I just can't see why he would have done it and neither can bank manager. I think at least we should get our premiums back but as yet that has not been offered.

Do you know what the outcome generally is. we have been advised that it is a matter for the gardai. This employee left their employ 6 months after this occurred. The Manager said had he still worked there it would be on the spot firing and then an investigation. There was no reason for this to be done - we both worked in same area 5 mins from bank. I just can't see why he would have done it and neither can bank manager. I think at least we should get our premiums back but as yet that has not been offered.

The manager is talking nonsense. He would not have been fired on the spot as a full investigation would have to be carried out and bank officials are very well protected by their union. The manager is obviously creating the impression that he is shocked by such an incident (believe me he's not and will have seen or been aware if worse).

I'm not sure if the Guards will pursue the individual on the basis that there was no gain for themselves. They'll probably be asked to make a statement at most.. Might be different if the bank / insurance co had a claim on the particular policy. But that's just my opinion.

Sounds like the bank are trying to cover their own backsides. Handy for them that the employee no longer works there.

Have you referred the matter to the Financial Services Ombudsman? Have you been invited by the bank manager to refer a complaint there (you should have been)?

As a matter of interest, had you filled out all of the questionnaires on the form and was it just your signatures missing from the form? Obviously if the employee filled out everything then that is a lot more serious and questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

The Manager said had he still worked there it would be on the spot firing and then an investigation...

Obviously the Manager hasn't any HR qualifications... Kinda putting the hanging before the fair trial!

The manager is talking nonsense. He would not have been fired on the spot as a full investigation would have to be carried out and bank officials are very well protected by their union. The manager is obviously creating the impression that he is shocked by such an incident (believe me he's not and will have seen or been aware if worse).

I'm not sure if the Guards will pursue the individual on the basis that there was no gain for themselves. They'll probably be asked to make a statement at most.. Might be different if the bank / insurance co had a claim on the particular policy. But that's just my opinion.

Sounds like the bank are trying to cover their own backsides. Handy for them that the employee no longer works there.

Have you referred the matter to the Financial Services Ombudsman? Have you been invited by the bank manager to refer a complaint there (you should have been)?

As a matter of interest, had you filled out all of the questionnaires on the form and was it just your signatures missing from the form? Obviously if the employee filled out everything then that is a lot more serious and questionable.

We had two mortgages one for a site then one for the building - tis the policy on the building that is in question. we have been in to talk to bank manager regarding complaint. the insurance co have been informed and I have sent an email to the ombudsman - not sure if there 6 year limit applies here or not but will find that out soon enough I am sure.
    the documents that were forwarded on for both policies are word for word the same and the part that we should fill in name address date of birth all that is filled in by employee even down to the date under our signatures.

• Advertisement

I see.

The bank will I'm sure refund for a policy which was/is infact null and void.

I wonder did the bank official assume that full lifecover was already in place (from when you took out the mortgage in the site) and then panicked when you or your Solicitor started looking for stage drawdowns to pay the builder? I'm only guessing and not excusing his behaviour in the slightest. It was wrong and inexcusable. Forgery is never acceptable even if its to the benefit of the customer. This person has put their entire career on the line for the sake of making a phone call for the 2 of you to come in...

I see.

The bank will I'm sure refund for a policy which was/is infact null and void.

I wonder did the bank official assume that full lifecover was already in place (from when you took out the mortgage in the site) and then panicked when you or your Solicitor started looking for stage drawdowns to pay the builder? I'm only guessing and not excusing his behaviour in the slightest. It was wrong and inexcusable. Forgery is never acceptable even if its to the benefit of the customer. This person has put their entire career on the line for the sake of making a phone call for the 2 of you to come in...

I guess we will find out soon enough but I have to say the fact we know that we are not covered has caused us some sleepless nights. Even driving to work and worried god forbid I was to have an accident then what sort of mess was I leaving behind for my husband and 3 children. I was hoping to find someone on here that had possible been through this and exactly what the process was and how it got resolved. He was extremely foolish - he is still working in the industry so I believe - bank had not at time of us meeting them looked into his paperwork or contacted him ...so they say!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Are you sure OP that you didn't sign a power of attorney document when you took out your mortgage allowing a bank official to act on your behalf?

Addle wrote: »
    Are you sure OP that uiut didn't sign a power of attorney document when you took out your mortgage allowing a bank official to act on your behalf?

Definitely not why would I do that???? We did not know this person outside of the bank!!!

I guess we will find out soon enough but I have to say the fact we know that we are not covered has caused us some sleepless nights. Even driving to work and worried god forbid I was to have an accident then what sort of mess was I leaving behind for my husband and 3 children. I was hoping to find someone on here that had possible been through this and exactly what the process was and how it got resolved. He was extremely foolish - he is still working in the industry so I believe - bank had not at time of us meeting them looked into his paperwork or contacted him ...so they say!!!!

It's unlikely they will contact him either- the fact he's gone it's their issue to deal with and they'll leave it to the Fraud squad within the Guards who probably won't understsnd or be too interested, and the bank's own advisors and heads will decide on an appropriate refund and compensation for you in addition to liaising with the Ombudsman if appropriate.

I can imagine how stressful it is but try not go worry. You will be compensated and have taken steps to secure fresh lifecover.

I have not come across incidences relating to lifecover specifically I'm afraid.

It's unlikely they will contact him either- the fact he's gone it's their issue to deal with and they'll leave it to the Fraud squad within the Guards who probably won't understsnd or be too interested, and the bank's own advisors and heads will decide on an appropriate refund and compensation for you in addition to liaising with the Ombudsman if appropriate.

I can imagine how stressful it is but try not go worry. You will be compensated and have taken steps to secure fresh lifecover.

I have not come across incidences relating to lifecover specifically I'm afraid.

I suppose we have been thinking what if scenarios. Its kinda like last 7 years where we thought and were happy in the knowledge that we had affairs sorted suddenly have been turned upside down and was all a lie - kinda hard to explain.

Hopefully new life cover will get sorted without problems and we can at least rest a bit easier. Thank you for all your advice and thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Honeybuns, is it a life insurance policy or a payment protection policy that the signature was forged on?
    There would have been an incentive to forge a payment protection policy as the bank staff were ( mostly ) on a bonus to sell these kind of policies

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I suppose we have been thinking what if scenarios. Its kinda like last 7 years where we thought and were happy in the knowledge that we had affairs sorted suddenly have been turned upside down and was all a lie - kinda hard to explain.

Hopefully new life cover will get sorted without problems and we can at least rest a bit easier. Thank you for all your advice and thoughts

If it's any consolation at least nothing happened over the last 7 years and you are finding out now, at this point - not, god forbid, if you were trying to make a claim on potentially a null & void insurance policy.

Get that new cover in place quick!

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Honeybuns, is it a life insurance policy or a payment protection policy that the signature was forged on?
    There would have been an incentive to forge a payment protection policy as the bank staff were ( mostly ) on a bonus to sell these kind of policies

The OP already had a policy in relation to the original mortgage on the site though, so unlikely forging the signature to gain a sale, as v likely they customers would have taken an identical policy out with the same institution- all that was required were the signatures?

Maybe there was an issue with approval for building costs (as in confirming the actual amount required) so original mortgage and hence life policy related to the site only.

Hard to know but sounds like a very stupid thing for the official to do.

• Advertisement

Ronin247 wrote: »

Mortgage protection policy - we thought we had a policy whereby in the event of one of our deaths the mortgage would have been cleared. What we actually have is upon death the original mortgage value will pay our regardless of how many years have passed - this is something else we didn't know we had!!!! All I can assume is that this guy was on a bonus for anything he sold and just wanted to make the sale

Advertisement