Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a Staffie pup from a reputable breeder?

• 20-07-2014 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I owned a Staffordshire Bull Terrier for 11 years and I would like to get another. Best dog I could ever ask for, but I originally got her when I lived in England

I don't want to get a pup off someone dodgy and I really can't see any Staffie breeders locally (Louth area)

What are my choices?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I don't know about Louth but the animal shelter up here in Derry is nearly always full of staffies.
    <snip>
    Much better than going to a breeder.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Just a reminder that as per the forum charter, named rescues cannot be discussed or linked to here, any recommendations should be made by PM.
    As long as the OP expresses a wish to rescue a Staffie, that is.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Contact some of the Staffie clubs in Ireland through the ikc and get a contact for breeders there. Lots of Staffie clubs in Ireland affiliated with the ikc so im sure one of them will be able to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 FawltyTowel

If I go the rescue route, is there any difference between a pound or a rescue itself?

The only sticking point really is my partner wants a male dog as our last staffie was female. Hopefully I can talk her round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

My brother is breading from his staffie afaik. Champion lines and his dog is also on his way. Can find out if you like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

If I go the rescue route, is there any difference between a pound or a rescue itself?

The only sticking point really is my partner wants a male dog as our last staffie was female. Hopefully I can talk her round

Many pounds don't rehome staffies to the general public. Also, rescue's will often know more about the dogs Character. I'll pm you a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Also a lot of pounds don't neuter, vaccinate, microchip, home-check or offer any back-up whereas these are all things you should be looking for in a good rescue.

If you use a rescue that has it's dogs in foster homes then you can be sure that they will be able to tell you an awful lot more about the dog. By going this route you then free up a space so that they can take another unfortunate Bull breed from the pound.

Advertisement