Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photoshop resize problem

Options
  • 20-07-2014 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

I have a 12x 4 image in photoshop cc 14 64bit and want to fit it all reduced to 6x4
    I opened a new 6x4 and want to copy and paste it to the 6x4
    Copy is greyed out
    Tried control + s for select, c cor copy and v for paste . Nothing
    Only one layer in each. Background, changed to layer 0
    Where am I wrong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Ctrl+S is save. Most likely it doesn't like what you've put on the clip board. There are several methods to move one layer to another document in PS. Probably the most useful is having the original document open, and the empty destination document open in another tab, then right click the layer and choose Duplicate Layer... Then you can choose the destination document in the dialog and it'll paste it in-place in the new document which is often handy.

You can also drag it with the move tool (V on the keyboard), right onto the tab of the new destination document and let go. This usually doesn't paste 'in-place' though.

Edit: If you are just resizing though just hit Ctrl+Alt+I and you can resize the actual document.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

Ctrl+S is save. Most likely it doesn't like what you've put on the clip board. There are several methods to move one layer to another document in PS. Probably the most useful is having the original document open, and the empty destination document open in another tab, then right click the layer and choose Duplicate Layer... Then you can choose the destination document in the dialog and it'll paste it in-place in the new document which is often handy.

You can also drag it with the move tool (V on the keyboard), right onto the tab of the new destination document and let go. This usually doesn't paste 'in-place' though.

Edit: If you are just resizing though just hit Ctrl+Alt+I and you can resize the actual document.
    Ok thanks. What is select?
    Edit: If you are just resizing though just hit Ctrl+Alt+I and you can resize the actual document
    all will fit not like crop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

GoodLord wrote: »
    Ok thanks. What is select?

That is a loaded question :pac: are you trying to select a whole layer, several layers, part of a single layer, or a whole PSD?!
    all will fit not like crop?

Changing the dimensions of a document with Ctrl+Alt+I uniformly will not crop any of the document. By default the length and width of the document are padlocked together when you open this dialog, so changing the length also changes the width. You can un-padlock the dimensions if you want though but generally you would not want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

You do know that your going to end up with 6x2 to maintain the aspect ratio?
    Or are you going to crop the left and right side to maintain the scale.

Eitherways to get it to work, right click on background layer and click layer from background, then right click layer 1 or whatever and duplicate layer to your new document. That should work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Copy is greyed out

Make sure quick mask mode isn't selected either. It'll appear in the title bar of the image if it's on. Hit 'Q' to toggle on/off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have a 12x 4 image in photoshop cc 14 64bit and want to fit it all reduced to 6x4
    Why not click the Image tab, and click "Resize Image"?

the_syco wrote: »
    Why not click the Image tab, and click "Resize Image"?
    it makes it 6x2 not 6x4

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

it makes it 6x2 not 6x4

You can choose to not retain the scale. Normally represented by a little chain link thingy between the two dimensions.

You can choose to not retain the scale. Normally represented by a little chain link thingy between the two dimensions.
    i know, i was trying to retain the scale and have it 6x4 but will need to crop

Advertisement