Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doc kildare

Options
  • 20-07-2014 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hiya.
    Ive been having weight trouble for ever. Im looking for a doctor in kildare who doesnt cost the world and is gonna take a genuine interest in me. Have tried everything from pills to starving myself to a genuine simple healthy lifestyle and exercise.
    My old doc was hopeless (in cork) shed take bloods and realise something doesnt look right and never get back to me again or tell me what it could be etc. Useless and just didnt care.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Pills and starving don't ever work, and are actually worse for you (the pills give you an excuse to overeat, and all starving does is burn muscle and retain water and fat). I don't imagine a doctor would have recommended either.

Exercise and diet work, if you stick at it long enough (i.e. at least a year, and ideally forever).

You should consider joining a gym, any trainer worth their salt in a good gym will also be able to give you the basics of nutrition, a calorie count, meal plan, foods to avoid etc. Doctors tend to get tired of doing this pretty quickly, so I wouldn't be surprised if a doctor wasn't getting back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lauca

I know they dont work but I had just tried everything. I have been on a strict diet and exercise program for 2 years now. my boyfriend studied sport and exercise science and I have always had a hige interest in nutrition so I know that ive tried everything and think there must be an underlyi g problem

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

I'd highly recommend trying Slimming World. There are lots of groups around Kildare. It worked for me and is a very sustainable way of eating/living. I also have an underactive thyroid so losing weight is a little more difficult for me but I still got there albeit slowly (losing on average 0.5-1lb a week) and maintained the loss.

It's worth getting your thyroid checked and I'm sure any doctor will do this for you.

my mom has mentioned that to me too. how do u cope with that? I had it checked before (I think) can it come on or change over time? and do u take anything to regulate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

lauca wrote: »
    my mom has mentioned that to me too. how do u cope with that? I had it checked before (I think) can it come on or change over time? and do u take anything to regulate it?

Yes it needs to be checked regularly as it can fluctuate quite dramatically over time and it's treated by daily tablets (eltroxin). It can be difficult to get the dosage right so usually monitored closely for the first couple of months. It's often hereditary so definitely get it checked if there's a family history.

The attached picture shows a good summary of symptoms (most of which I've had). By the way, underactive thyroid = hypo thyroidism. No point self-diagnosing though! It's a simple blood test so worth getting it checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Look for a local nutritional therapist, they'll work with you one on one to tailor a plan to your needs/likes.

SQ2 wrote:
    Look for a local nutritional therapist, they'll work with you one on one to tailor a plan to your needs/likes.

thanks. that sounds a great idea actually. ill have to have a look around to figure something out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

There are some good threads here including a general weight loss support thread + a Slimming World thread, hopefully they'll help you. Good luck!

Advertisement