Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If NCT's were introduced for classics......

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

swarlb wrote: »
    Are you not overthinking the NCT v's Classics. It does not have to be a test, as regards using the modern NCT equipment.
    Basically all it needs is a room with a ramp, and a comprehensive checklist. I seem to remember that as a requirement for getting a car classed as 'vintage' on the logbook insured, you had to get an 'engineers report'. At the time I lived in Dublin, and a local Opel Garage did it for me each year. The form was supplied by the insurance company, and the Garage filled it out and stamped it.
    Simple enough thing, covered brakes, suspension, tyres etc, and 'general condition of bodywork'.
    Somewhere along the way, this requirement obviously ceased to exist.

True enough. Any good garage could do it, as is done in the UK (mainland - NI use VOSPA). A few garages could be licenced to do it, and it could be administered by the few insurance companies that insure classics.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Where's the government take in THAT idea?

It's something to do with a car IT MUST BE PUNITIVE!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Dades wrote: »
    Where's the government take in THAT idea?

It's something to do with a car IT MUST BE PUNITIVE!

I do not think that they have been asked. Also I do not think that they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

cant see it happening, not enough pre 1980 cars on the road to make worth while for any government,.... its all about revenue at the end of the day.

But if you say that, why introduce it for 1980 onwards classics?

• Advertisement

many more 80s cars on road than 70s or older I would imagine, it has to generate enough revenue or nobody in government is really interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

But if you say that, why introduce it for 1980 onwards classics?

Around 1980, a lot of stuff was modernised in the motor industry, due to legislation introduced around the world - e.g.: VINs were introduced (replacing chassis numbers), maximum emissions were lowered, fog lights were introduced in some markets, etc.

Before 1980, the range of features present/absent in various cars would vary a lot, but it would be easier to assess '80-onwards cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

I really am tiring of the type of posts highlighting the truly shocking condition of the irish classic car fleet. Time after time im reading about 'real shockers' and bikes disintegrating before our eyes. If you see a vehicle in this totally unsafe condition post a bloody pic and shame the owner. I personally own a classic and it's clean down to its braided brake lines, and several friends all have theirs in possibly better condition. I've been to four shows this year and saw plenty of praiseworthy cars.with owners all to willing to show you around them and bend your ear on the quest for the missing oem nut and bolts. The super dooper nct passed my daily car with 2 cracked brake discs, how safe is that compared to my classic (which i'm apparently hiding from the nct) which is running four pot calipers with grooved/vented discs and s/s lines? Please give up this nct nonsense and leave people enjoy their hobbies without bringing the sky in.
    Editing because i realise now that fitting better brakes puts undue stress on the car and will most likely be outlawed............

^^^^ I agree with that but would like to see a simple (and cheap) test introduced that would allow owners to be certain that their car's structure is in fact as sound as they beleive. Rust is a terrible curse, but filler is worse. The previous owner can (and does) bodge and dodge in a way the beggars beleif. Most owners are concientious because that is their hobby, but lemons are moved on instead of being scrapped.

I would love the facility that could allow me to inspect the undeside of my classics to check all the nasties that might be their - rusty brake and fuel lines, rust eating into the structural parts of the underneath, undue play in UJs, track rods, etc. and burst rubber gaitors that let the grit in to destroy steering racks and other joints.

I am not sure I would trust the current NCT crowd to do this for me, but I am sure that some service could be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Most NCT monkeys (they can't be mechanics) don't take enough care of crappy and not so crappy dailys. How could they be trusted with classics??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

I don't have any issue with sympathetic testing of classic vehicles however where the established setup has more faults than anything else theres no way im giving them my car to rev the life out of a standard 8 valve, then give it back to me broken and ultimately unroadworthy- like they do with the daily. Computer says no.....
    I'm lucky in that i've a robust reasonably modern engine,imagine giving in a hundred year old car or something rare as hens teeth?
    Imagine making OAP's do physical fitness tests designed for fit young people.

I apologise for partly hijacking the thread but Its important to monitor posts that make wild accusations and that represent the nct as the classic car boogey man.... The forum is becoming the go to for motoring on the web. Enthusiasts and uninitiated alike find their way in. All we need is someone looking for an axe to grind to see these and we're off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mannurse

If you feel that your car needs an NCT simply as a means of checking it's roadworthiness, then I think owning a classic car is the wrong hobby for you.
    As mentioned above, the vast majority of classic car owners have their cars in a1 condition as that is part of the hobby. If you can't fix/pay someone to fix your car then why have one (on the road).
    I detest bringing my modern car in and signing the waver so they can rev the sh1t out of it.
    Plenty of garages will do pre NCT inspection for you, it doesn't need to be legislated.

mannurse wrote: »
    If you feel that your car needs an NCT simply as a means of checking it's roadworthiness, then I think owning a classic car is the wrong hobby for you.
    As mentioned above, the vast majority of classic car owners have their cars in a1 condition as that is part of the hobby. If you can't fix/pay someone to fix your car then why have one (on the road).
    I detest bringing my modern car in and signing the waver so they can rev the sh1t out of it.
    Plenty of garages will do pre NCT inspection for you, it doesn't need to be legislated.
    well said. I wouldn't give those NTC 'goons' a wheelbarrow to work on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Are there statistics available regarding road traffic accidents resulting from mechanical issues with vehicles?

More to the point when did anyone ever see a classic or vintage car buried in a modern car on the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

More to the point when did anyone ever see a classic or vintage car buried in a modern car on the news?
    They get stuffed pretty often. Have a look in the gates of crash repair centers and you'll always see a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

ba_barabus wrote: »
    They get stuffed pretty often. Have a look in the gates of crash repair centers and you'll always see a few.

I wouldn;t think "pretty often" would be quite the story :pac:
    But yeah, I've had to frequent some crash repair places and some breakers yards even and there were some poor classics in both :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I think the use of the word 'vintage' has been abused slightly over the years. Using the correct definition of the term neither an 80's Golf or a 60's Cortina is truly 'vintage'.
    Classic, is another term being loosely used to describe anything that is simply an 'old' car.
    I doubt very much if there are too many 'classics' as in cars from the 50's or 60's or 70's being involved in road accidents on a daily, monthly or yearly basis. There might be the odd incident with an early to mid 90's car, but that would probably be the extent of it.

Advertisement