Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

peeing chihuahua

• 20-07-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭

At night time he has the odd accident in the area he sleeps in and that's understandable but when he goes indoors during the day it's very annoying,especially when he's let out the front/back a good few times during the day.
    He has a little area in the hall where he constantly goes,I very rarely catch him in the act,just find the puddles after the event.he's almost a year old now so is no longer a pup.
    Are chihuahuas a problematic breed for this type of behaviour, is there anything I can do to prevent him from going in his favourite area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

ooter wrote: »
    At night time he has the odd accident in the area he sleeps in and that's understandable but when he goes indoors during the day it's very annoying,especially when he's let out the front/back a good few times during the day.
    He has a little area in the hall where he constantly goes,I very rarely catch him in the act,just find the puddles after the event.he's almost a year old now so is no longer a pup.
    Are chihuahuas a problematic breed for this type of behaviour, is there anything I can do to prevent him from going in his favourite area?

Retrain him.

Put him out to go every half hour and then reward him when he goes outside.

Watch him like a hawk when he is inside and pop him outside as soon as he makes action to go in the house. Reward when he goes outside.

6 weeks or so should break the habit you have let him get in to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ooter

Thanks for the reply.
    Watching him like a hawk is doable for me at weekends but during the week I'm gone for 10+ hours a day but my partner is at home,her dedication to the cause would be questionable though.:)
    It's so disheartening to see the little puddles when I come in from work,always in the same spot.
    I thought he was doing it cos he was getting his scent in that area and thinking it was OK to go there and I thought that maybe there might be some product I could get to eliminate his scent?
    During the day he never goes in the area that he has the odd accident in at night time,it's a strange one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Clean the area he pees in often with a mix of bio washing powder and water . It breaks down the smell better than other cleaners. I have an old spray bottle with a mixture already made up so just use that when needed rather than mixing up a bit every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ooter

Good tip toadfly thanks,I'll give that a try.

Advertisement