Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could we power the country solely with solar energy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

If everyone was as parsimonious with their electricity, the answer to the question posed by the OP is definitely yes! :D

I had to look that one up Quentin.

parsimonious
    ˌpɑːsɪˈməʊnɪəs/
    adjective
    adjective: parsimonious
    very unwilling to spend money or use resources.
    "even the parsimonious Joe paid for drinks all round"
    synonyms:mean, miserly, niggardly, close-fisted, penny-pinching, cheese-paring, ungenerous, penurious, illiberal, close, grasping, Scrooge-like, stinting, sparing, frugal; More

I'm not sure if you are complimenting me on my use of sensors and adapting to the economic down turn or using fancy words instead of mean :confused:

Just kidding :) back on topic.

I did look at fitting 7m2 of Solar PV I think you will agree it would have taken a long time to see a return, maybe it will be worth while when the feed in tariff is re-visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

PeteHeat wrote: »
    I did look at fitting 7m2 of Solar PV I think you will agree it would have taken a long time to see a return, maybe it will be worth while when the feed in tariff is re-visited.
    Glad they include resources in the dictionary definition ;) - I admire thrift, especially of resources, so that was a compliment.

If you fit solar PV on a business account, and you don't use all its output, the payback time goes into centuries, because ESB only pays the miserable 9c feed in tariff to domestic consumers, not to businesses. The explanation of WHY has something to do with VAT.

That'll be another one to explain to our grandchildren when they ask us what we did to prevent climate change :rolleyes:

If everyone was as parsimonious with their electricity, the answer to the question posed by the OP is definitely yes! :D

This week I saved myself 25% on my lighting consumption by cleaning my dimmer controlled switch-mode LED lenses. :pac::D

I know I'm a nerd yee don't have to remind me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Glad they include resources in the dictionary definition ;) - I admire thrift, especially of resources, so that was a compliment.

If you fit solar PV on a business account, and you don't use all its output, the payback time goes into centuries, because ESB only pays the miserable 9c feed in tariff to domestic consumers, not to businesses. The explanation of WHY has something to do with VAT.

That'll be another one to explain to our grandchildren when they ask us what we did to prevent climate change :rolleyes:

Why pay 9c when they can get it cheaper on the SEM?

There's a few companies in the US offering free installations of PV for domestic. It's a form of lease as they expand their generation footprint offering concession of about 10%- 15% on electricity tariff's to the home owner as part of the agreement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement