Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet training my 2 month old puppy?

• 20-07-2014 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I just got a new puppy a couple days ago. He's a 2 month old Cavachon. His previous owner trained him to go to the toilet on newspaper, and he is always tries to aim for the paper (but usually always misses). He stays in the front room with me during the day, but at night he sleeps in the utility room. How do I train him to go into the utility room to go toilet and not in my front room?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Best bet is to get rid of newspapers.

Unless there is a specific reason to use the utility, at this point you should be taking your pup out to the back garden at least every 30 minutes. Use a key phrase like "Go quickly!" to encourage your pup and then praise afterwards.

Initially if you can during the night take your pup out a few times.

Another option is crate training which some people on here use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Hi Our dog is now 4 years old and we had him trained within 3 months He was also paper trained. Op you say you now want him to go in the utility room but really you should be taking him outside as often as you can When he dose his business take him straight back in. He will soon learn to stand at the door when he wants to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KatelynneGA14

odckdo wrote: »
    Best bet is to get rid of newspapers.

Unless there is a specific reason to use the utility, at this point you should be taking your pup out to the back garden at least every 30 minutes. Use a key phrase like "Go quickly!" to encourage your pup and then praise afterwards.

Initially if you can during the night take your pup out a few times.

Another option is crate training which some people on here use.

Thank you for the reply. I will start putting him outside to relieve himself and not in the utility room, but any time we usually took him outside he didn't go, until we brought him back inside

Op stay out with him and make sure he goes before you take him in He will soon get the hang of it I would keep the utility room door closed from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KatelynneGA14

lulu1 wrote: »
    Op stay out with him and make sure he goes before you take him in He will soon get the hang of it I would keep the utility room door closed from now on.

Grand. Thank you so much for the help :) I hope it works!! X

• Advertisement

Grand. Thank you so much for the help :) I hope it works!! X

Let us know how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Persistence, persistence, persistence.

We tried using "key phrases" - "do your poo poo", etc and it just didn't work for us - if you think about it, would you feel comfortable if someone was standing over you urging you to go!

It eventually was a matter of recognising when she is about to go and scooping her up and taking her outside. Get really excited when he does it and MOST IMPORTANTLY give him a treat immediately when he goes outside - have the treats ready so you are not looking for them when you need them. He will eventually realise that going outside will get him a treat, whereas going inside will not.

And be vigilant. Just because a pup goes outside when you bring him out, doesn't make him "toilet trained". He'll eventually get the idea and you'll know you're getting there when he makes his own way outside without any prompting.

And expect some regression when he reaches adolescence - approx. 16 weeks or so. But that should sort itself out also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We tried using "key phrases" - "do your poo poo", etc and it just didn't work for us - if you think about it, would you feel comfortable if someone was standing over you urging you to go!

I don't really think this applies to pets considering they're more than comfortable to go in front of us and for us to pick it up? :P
    I used 'busy busy' during and after each time my pup went to the loo and after a week or so she knew exactly what it meant and what she was supposed to do. It's very very handy to have a command for going to the loo - especially when they get distracted and forgot what they're outside for. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

tk123 wrote: »
    I don't really think this applies to pets considering they're more than comfortable to go in front of us and for us to pick it up? :P
    I used 'busy busy' during and after each time my pup went to the loo and after a week or so she knew exactly what it meant and what she was supposed to do. It's very very handy to have a command for going to the loo - especially when they get distracted and forgot what they're outside for. ;)

I totally agree... We use 'go pee' as the boys poop on their morning and evening walks.

They'd happily come in for bed without peeing. A swift 'go pee' and a point towards the back door quickly reminds them.

Clever boys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Make sure and take them out at least twice during the night.
    8 week old pups will not be able to hold their bladder for several hours until a bit older.
    Don't feed them any later than 6pm and try not to give them water or too much water after 7/8pm so they're not bursting during the night but again expect to take them out at least twice initially for the first few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Blazer wrote: »
    try not to give them water or too much water after 7/8pm so they're not bursting during the night

Sorry but's summer and pretty warm at night. Don't not deprive a pup of water -it's cruel and dangerous - a pup can get dehydrated and go downhill fast. OP my pup only ever needed to go out once a night and was sleeping until 5:30-6:00 pretty much from the second week. Have you a crate/pen to confine the pup at night - this will really speed things up.

I wouldn't give the last meal so early either - a full pup is a tired pup. Also they'll be likely to get sick in the morning when their tummy is empty.

Advertisement