Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Closing your account. Why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I'm pretty sure it's your inflammatory comments about women that turned the thread to ****, not the word 'feminazi.' menopause remarks? Really? Bit juvenile, no?
    Nasty as fuq actually for some women as it can have personal resonance.
    /awaits the sneers

Magaggie wrote: »
    I am saying your defence of him is misguided.

I didn't initially, I and others asked for clarification - when it wasn't forthcoming, it really made the initial post look like... a dig.

For crying out loud, look at *his* digs at people.

Mod

I think you need to take a step back and stop getting so personally offended by other peoples' posts when they are not directed at you.

It's best if you don't post in this thread again.
    Zulu wrote: »
    I'd love to see an experiment - how long it takes for a thread to go to ****, once the word "feminazi" is posted. It's incredible really the power of language; Orwell knew what he was talking about.

Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

GSF wrote: »
    He is happily posting on Digital Spy now.

I'm sure he's thrilled he still has your attention!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

I've left and come back a few times. I got tired of the predictability of a lot of it, the cyclical nature of the comments. It gets interesting checking back in again years later to see how the net has changed: got into it in the 28.8 days. At least I think that's what it was! Left over moderation once or twice. Way back in the day I asked for an appeal process! Boards is still good but has inevitably lost the novelty value it had. There are still posters who actually know stuff and are worth reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

I've been toying with closing my account for a long time,just to get away from boards an awful clique on the site lately too.I'm heading off travelling for a month or two in a while and were I'm heading I'll be fairly isolated so maybe its time to knock it on the head...who knows today could be the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Never knew that this caused so much interest.

-Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

beks101 wrote: »
    I'm obviously bat sh1t crazy, but closing my account would need to have a very very good and deeply considered reason for me, outside of 'meh, sick of Beks101, let's try something new'. Plus I feel, rightly or wrongly, an affinity with certain posters in the forums I frequent and I'd feel a bit deceptive just fecking off and coming back as some sort of re-invention of myself without warning.

Ahh, the feeling's mutual. Mwaaahhh! :p
    I've left and come back a few times. I got tired of the predictability of a lot of it, the cyclical nature of the comments. It gets interesting checking back in again years later to see how the net has changed: got into it in the 28.8 days. At least I think that's what it was! Left over moderation once or twice. Way back in the day I asked for an appeal process! Boards is still good but has inevitably lost the novelty value it had. There are still posters who actually know stuff and are worth reading.

Cheers. Really appreciate you saying that. Most users barely acknowledge me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I closed my original accounr for a couple of reasons. For one, as mentioned previously, I lost my anonymity as I had become too identifiable. Some will say that you should be able to stand by what you say online and I do, but I just didn't feel sharing personal stuff anymore.

Secondly, I was a mod. Personally for me, I felt pressure in my role as a mod in the sense that I felt I had to toe the line. That I couldn't get involved in a heated discussion or give a frank opinion because that's not how a mod should behave. I felt could no longer be honest in my posting and I wasn't happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I'm pretty sure it's your inflammatory comments about women that turned the thread to ****, not the word 'feminazi.' menopause remarks? Really? Bit juvenile, no?

Can you point an inflammatory comment he made about women?

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Can you point an inflammatory comment he made about women?

Mod

This thread has been derailed enough and two posters banned as a result. So, seeing as you are trying to continue the derailment, you may no longer post here again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Should you be posting when you're pisht?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'd feel quite sad if I closed my account and nobody noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Whoopsadaisydoodles is in real strict humour today........scaring me.

auldgranny wrote: »
    Whoopsadaisydoodles is in real strict humour today........scaring me.

You think this is scary?

You should see me the morning after 10 pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You think this is scary?

You should see me the morning after 10 pints.

I haven't been able to take you seriously since your name stopped breaking pages. But all this spooky talk of you being angry after 10 pints is making me think maybe you've regained your power :( I might have to close my account I'm so scared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

There's also the (perceived) danger that an unpopular opinion you may have posted on something could stick to you, and undermine any other points you have

Do you mean say if a poster that posted right wing or extreme left wing views subsequently moderated their stance? I don't know, life's too short in my view to worry about that kind of thing. Consistency is the hobgoblin of mediocre minds, as Ralph Waldo Emerson put it.

I haven't been able to take you seriously since your name stopped breaking pages. But all this spooky talk of you being angry after 10 pints is making me think maybe you've regained your power :( I might have to close my account I'm so scared

Dude, if I could drink 10 pints the whole world would be in trouble :P

(Also it still breaks the old skin :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Dude, if I could drink 10 pints the whole world would be in trouble :P

(Also it still breaks the old skin :D)

Dont ever change it. I have yet to break anything other than a smile every time i see it and I literally never get tired of it repeating over and over in my head :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I would say people leave for one of three reasons.

1) They've posted too much identifiable information.
    2) They feel they were unfairly infracted and the appeal system is pointless
    3) They're sick of the amount of people who are easily offended and just looking for an argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Personal Identifiability would be a big one as others have pointed out already.

There was a thread recently about cruel parents giving their kids unusual first names. A female poster jokingly took faux offence to her name being one of the mentioned names. So now her first name was a known quantity. The thing was though, that her Boards name was also an obvious derivation of a well known Surname. Now one knew her full name. I googled it and 'Ireland' out of interest to see if anything would come up. A linkedIN profile was the top google result. Now there was a possible career attachable to that name. Curiousity got the better of me in terms of "Could it really be this easy to identify this boardsie?" I clicked on their post boards history. Not a prolific poster so it was easy to see that she had a fair few posts giving advice to people in a forum directly related to the career field of the LinkedIn profile I'd found.

Holy ****. I now knew the name of this boardsie, knew what she looked like. Knew where she worked, knew the schools and colleges she went to etc etc.

Then that put me in a predicament. Do I say nothing in which case others might be able to identify her, or do I PM her and suggest that maybe she remove the posts in that name thread that were the key to unlocking her real life identity, but at the risk of her thinking I was a weird stalker weirdo or something. I chose the latter and PM'd her and by her reply tbh I think she thought I was a weirdo alright.

When I replied back trying to put her mind at ease that I wasn't a freak or online stalker and explained my rationale for researching and telling her, I think I ended up digging a deeper hole for myself :D

As a matter of interest, what would other boardsies have done? Had you realised you now knew First and Last name of a fellow boardsie, could you have resisted the curiosity to see how far you could get in identifying them. Would you have had any curiosity in the first place. If you had managed to identify them with information that they themselves had put on boards, would you tell them/warn them that they had put too much information out there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

I've noticed this is a common thing.
    Often among posters who have racked up thousands of posts over years and really 'established' themselves in certain forums. They have 'friends', engage in daily chat, make smart and funny posts.
    Then out of nowhere: CLOSED ACCOUNT.

I don't get it. Do they just burn out, get sick of spending so much time on a message board and decide to try out the real world for a while? Or is it a privacy issue, do they feel they have 'revealed too much'?

I've been around here for quite a while. Sometimes I disappear for weeks because life gets busy, other times I post and browse and thank posts far too frequently than probably is normal....but I've never considered closing my account. I like having a boards identity that no-one in the real world knows about (I think...). I like expressing my opinions on stuff and sometimes having my mind changed. I like looking over posts that I wrote sometimes, in a sense they've sort of chronicled the adventures I've had over the last few years.

So what's up with it? Do they just all come back and re-reg? Or do they just disappear into the ether?

People get a life.

I would say people leave for one of three reasons.

1) They've posted too much identifiable information.
    2) They feel they were unfairly infracted and the appeal system is pointless
    3) They're sick of the amount of people who are easily offended and just looking for an argument.

The first I get.

The second; Infractions carry over.

The third; can't be arsed with those people myself. I just unsub from threads where I feel any sort of negative emotion. It's the internet, I come here for entertainment, not to get angry at every. fcuking. thing. And I won't close my account because of other eejits.
    Calibos wrote: »

As a matter of interest, what would other boardsies have done? Had you realised you now knew First and Last name of a fellow boardsie, could you have resisted the curiosity to see how far you could get in identifying them. Would you have had any curiosity in the first place. If you had managed to identify them with information that they themselves had put on boards, would you tell them/warn them that they had put too much information out there?

Would you be arsed though? I wouldn't be arsed, personally.
    zetalambda wrote: »
    People get a life.

Most of them re reg so I doubt that's true :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

they become unpopular and just start a new name. Unfortunately you cant really do the same in real life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There are only half a dozen people on Boards, we just have a lot of alt accounts. I really enjoy a good argument with myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

kowloon wrote: »
    There are only half a dozen people on Boards, we just have a lot of alt accounts. I really enjoy a good argument with myself.

I find the best part of an argument with myself is the make-up sex afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The second; Infractions carry over.

I didn't say they do it to avoid the infraction, more out of frustration. I find it interesting that you say they carry over. That would seem to be contrary to the privacy policy. I understand if someone is infracted on their new account it would be reasonable to see if they have had previous accounts and infractions, but checking IP adresses with no cause seems like a breach of privacy and data protection.

I didn't say they do it to avoid the infraction, more out of frustration. I find it interesting that you say they carry over. That would seem to be contrary to the privacy policy. I understand if someone is infracted on their new account it would be reasonable to see if they have had previous accounts and infractions, but checking IP adresses with no cause seems like a breach of privacy and data protection.

Ah I see, yeh that does happen.

It would be the latter. They wouldn't be checked without good cause. Plus only admins can check them. Mods have no access to IP addresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ah I see, yeh that does happen.

It would be the latter. They wouldn't be checked without good cause. Plus only admins can check them. Mods have no access to IP addresses.

Some people would regularly use three, four or more networks these days, so IP gunning isn't the Mae West either.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Some people would regularly use three, four or more networks these days, so IP gunning isn't the Mae West either.

There's plenty more methods than just the aul IP :p

• Advertisement

Oh, I know! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Who's Mike65? Did he end up in rehab for boards addiction?

No, not as far as we can tell. But we DO know ........he climbed to the top of his laptop and jumped off.

While I'm here, I've been on the Internet a long time, sometimes under my real name. I'm not all that arsed about strict anonymity. It's the Internet, kids - be neither arsehole nor overly-sensitive, neither is particularly useful. These days, as well as hanging around the bike sheds on the Motors forum, I am best known as the weird guy outside in the bushes in the Boardsmarriage of Whoopsie and Renegade Mechanic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

DNA taken from virtual fingering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The threat of libel is also a good reason to close your account

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    DNA taken from virtual fingering?

Have you ever been virtually fingered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Have you ever been virtually fingered?

Or digitally?

Or digitally?

Isn't that a redundancy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

There was a thread recently about cruel parents giving their kids unusual first names. A female poster jokingly took faux offence to her name being one of the mentioned names. So now her first name was a known quantity. The thing was though, that her Boards name was also an obvious derivation of a well known Surname. Now one knew her full name. I googled it and 'Ireland' out of interest to see if anything would come up. A linkedIN profile was the top google result. Now there was a possible career attachable to that name. Curiousity got the better of me in terms of "Could it really be this easy to identify this boardsie?" I clicked on their post boards history. Not a prolific poster so it was easy to see that she had a fair few posts giving advice to people in a forum directly related to the career field of the LinkedIn profile I'd found.

Holy ****. I now knew the name of this boardsie, knew what she looked like. Knew where she worked, knew the schools and colleges she went to etc etc.

Then that put me in a predicament. Do I say nothing in which case others might be able to identify her, or do I PM her and suggest that maybe she remove the posts in that name thread that were the key to unlocking her real life identity, but at the risk of her thinking I was a weird stalker weirdo or something. I chose the latter and PM'd her and by her reply tbh I think she thought I was a weirdo alright.

When I replied back trying to put her mind at ease that I wasn't a freak or online stalker and explained my rationale for researching and telling her, I think I ended up digging a deeper hole for myself :D

that was a bit creepy tbf
    if twoz me...id just say nothing....why bother going to effort to identify someone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Hardly that big of a revelation in fairness. I can spend a sizeable portion of my day doing this kind of thing, I'm a journalist and it's a common media thing. Finding victims of some such disaster and/or their relatives, rooting out case studies from a single quote and a first and last name in an old newspaper article. It's ABC stuff. Incredibly easy to find someone in this facebook age.

The question is, as you quite rightly put it, does anyone actually give enough of a crap to go to the effort of it? And what are you going to do with that information?

I had a brief foray into online dating back during my single days and had a few lads suss out my identity from the snippets of information I gave them over a few brief conversations. A bit :eek::eek::eek: but it's not like they arrived on my doorstep wielding a knife or anything...they just could tell me where I was from and where I worked. Mental. But the world we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

I'm tempted to close but at the same time some part of me would like to come back in 50 years from now and be some sort of ancient boards god haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Stalking is snow joke.
    Wow that's embarrassing. I would re-reg right now if I were you, from shame ;P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

jimgoose wrote: »
    While I'm here, I've been on the Internet a long time, sometimes under my real name. I'm not all that arsed about strict anonymity. It's the Internet, kids - be neither arsehole nor overly-sensitive, neither is particularly useful. These days, as well as hanging around the bike sheds on the Motors forum, I am best known as the weird guy outside in the bushes in the Boardsmarriage of Whoopsie and Renegade Mechanic. :)

:eek: Now, hang on a second! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Agh..... Me an my big mouth.

It's started again. 8 pics so far this evening. Put em away girls :o

Hahahahaha especially when one of them is auldgranny, shudder......

• Site Banned Posts: 96 ✭✭engineerbrah

Because 'doxing' (exposing real life information of supposedly anonymous posters) people is easy and many close their account to make this harder for internet detectives.
    Reading through a person's post history you can find out so much about them.
    People reveal tiny bits of info about themselves every now and again like where they went to college, where they grew up, what type of job they have, age, gender etc.
    An internet detective can have a full description of an on-line person who is supposedly anonymous. Then with the help of Google you can have a Facebook or Name in 10-20mins.

Most posts on this website are PC as mods are strict so it wont matter to many if real life peers can see their post history but can you imagine a professional person being doxed on a website like stormfront or a pervert forum of some sort. The consequences can be disastrous. Lose your job, friends, wife maybe, fukk knows could possibly even get into legal trouble over things you say.

I've seen people get dectectived on other forums and have their lives ruined. On any forum I post on, I only troll and never post real life stories. I also post through a proxy so keyboard warriors cant get my IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I've seen people get dectectived on other forums and have their lives ruined. On any forum I post on, I only troll and never post real life stories. I also post through a proxy so keyboard warriors cant get my IP.

Which other forums?
    Sounds a tad paranoid to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Which other forums?

He's a bra engineer, I'd be paranoid too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Which other forums?

It's possible but I doubt it ever happens that much unless there's some absolute psycho looking for information on you or if the guards believed you were up to no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 96 ✭✭engineerbrah

Which other forums?

I've seen it on bodybuilding.com. The miscellaneous section which has nothing got to do with bodybuilding attracts many trolls. Basically people who post embarrassing stuff about them dont realise they have face pics on other threads and what not and have had their families notified.
    Also a few girls on that websites got their nudes sent to their work and family. Reverse image searching can make these things easy.
    It's possible but I doubt it ever happens that much unless there's some absolute psycho looking for information on you or if the guards believed you were up to no good.

You have to understand there is a lot of people in this world and a lot of them with nothing to do other than have a bit of fun online. I dont know if I'd call them psychos, some of these guys may take offence to posts you made or its a deeper race/hate thing. Doxing people isnt uncommon at all, especially for people with 'well known online persona's'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was meaning to re-reg my last account for ages as I no longer liked the name. But I never bothered till a friend recognised me online here so I re-reged then, I don't really know why but I was just uncomfortable with a friend reading everything I might post here and me not knowing how much they know.

I'll prob re reg again soon too, still don't like the username !

• Advertisement
Advertisement