Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Closing your account. Why?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

the mechanics of online chatting is different to real life chatting, well it is for me. Because we all have pseudo identities or alias's on here or any forum for that matter, what we say basically means nothing unless its defamation and you use someones name.

We may all be in different countries and what not. This is not the same as an face to face conversation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I'll prob re reg again soon too, still don't like the username !

Spend the fiver ya tight feck! :P

Plus you can then use any image as an avatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Hahahahaha especially when one of them is auldgranny, shudder......

Oy, who has been passing around them topless pictures of mine.... They were for banjo string only. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I lurk in the shadows. Watching, Waiting...

I hope ye all are creeped out now! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Sciprio wrote: »
    I lurk in the shadows. Watching, Waiting...

I hope ye all are creeped out now! :D

nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Looking for attention - plain and simple. The whole mike65 thing is an example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I mean no harm, for I am a benevolent head-case! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's a little weird when you know people are reading your posts and know who you are but you don't know them.

kowloon wrote: »
    It's a little weird when you know people are reading your posts and know who you are but you don't know them.

That happen you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

It's possible but I doubt it ever happens that much unless there's some absolute psycho looking for information on you or if the guards believed you were up to no good.

I have seen it, as an observer, more in the blogosphere than forums though.

Did you ever hear of the north Wales care home abuse scandal? It was a scandal that was exposed in the early 1990s, and more recently in the wake of the investigations into the late Jimmy Savile, police investigations have re-opened.

Basically a rather nasty feud has developed on blogs and twitter between two former north Wales care home residents, each say the other is out to get them and each accuses the other of making up false claims of abuse to get compensation or to get media access. Each has their own little gang of supporters who will try and harvest and publish on the net private info about the other lot.

Both have been arrested in the past year or so due to claims of harassment the other has made against them, all rather nasty.

Mind you this is also a "real life" situation rather than just internet trolling so perhaps not the best example.

auldgranny wrote: »
    That happen you?

Yeah, there are also a few people who know my username from seeing it on my screen, they would be able to read any post I make. I just accept that I have no real anonymity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Have you ever been virtually fingered?

A cop tried to feel my collar once. Slipped that one. So, no
    Or digitally?

Yes, but that was analogue. He was a proctologist and had my permission :) Very gentle and warm hands.
    Bless!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

Why would anyone close an account?
    There is INFO here that is not available
    elsewhere.
    Doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Have you ever been virtually fingered?

finger(); mount(); pipe(); fork(); exit(); <aaaahhhh...>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Dunno if it's been raised already in the thread but I guarantee that if there was a way of stopping snide remarks abut post count in lieu of intelligent retort during discussion or mean-spirited threads ripping the piss out of the top-posting users, you'd see the number of closed accounts drop.

Now, you could say to people just grow a pair and argue back but then again you could also say that for countless other existing misdemeanors: being a dick; grammar Nazism, casual sexism etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

anncoates wrote: »
    Dunno if it's been raised already in the thread but I guarantee that if there was a way of stopping snide remarks abut post count in lieu of intelligent retort during discussion or mean-spirited threads ripping the piss out of the top-posting users, you'd see the number of closed accounts drop.
    I cant say I have ever noticed that.

But then, I obviously haven't been posting on here anywhere near as much as you have, you loser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

Why do people really care about closed accounts though? It looks like too many people take it personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

osarusan wrote: »
    I cant say I have ever noticed that.

But then, I obviously haven't been posting on here anywhere near as much as you have, you loser.

/reported

/account closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I was on another forum years ago where the admins hid all postcounts as an April fool's prank, and said it was part of a new policy. There was carnage. Threats, rage and virtual tears from some of the prolific posters because their precious postcount was gone. It was glorious, especially when the prank was revealed and they had to pretend it wasn't that big of a deal after all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Dolbert wrote: »
    I was on another forum years ago where the admins hid all postcounts as an April fool's prank, and said it was part of a new policy. There was carnage. Threats, rage and virtual tears from some of the prolific posters because their precious postcount was gone. It was glorious, especially when the prank was revealed and they had to pretend it wasn't that big of a deal after all :D

Please please please tell me thats true!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Dolbert wrote: »

It happened here a few years ago. I think even changing the join date was threatened over the years as well. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054961068

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Please please please tell me thats true!

Yep! The butthurt levels were off the scale. It was one of those forums where regulars would feel very superior to the 'noobs' and I think this was a smack from the admins :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Post counts are a fools metric anyway. Join date is where its at. :D

I've got staying power ladies!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Calibos wrote: »

I'm surprised they even had the interweb way back in 2002. :eek:

Ruu wrote: »
    It happened here a few years ago. I think even changing the join date was threatened over the years as well. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054961068

All the join dates were reset to 2001 or something were they not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Back then, this was all just empty fields......

Y'know, unpopulated SQL Database fields and such like. :D

First post on boards was 12 years and 5 months ago. Jaysus, some of ye were probably still being potty trained when I started posting here!! :eek:

First post on boards was 12 years and 5 months ago. Jaysus, some of ye were probably still being potty trained when I started posting here!! :eek:

12 years? Heh, Ive seen 16 :cool:

Edit: Your 1st post was 12 yrs ago :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

12 years? Heh, Ive seen 16 :cool:

Edit: Your 1st post was 12 yrs ago :o

Close it now Rennie. Your gob, not your account. Hah.

Close it now Rennie. Your gob, not your account. Hah.

Cut me to the cartilage there.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Few years ago I was at a beers and was told this story about a boardsie who lived up in really remote part of Donegal. One night, in the lashings of rain, he came home, walked through the back kitchen and up the back stairs to his bathroom to get a towel so he could dry himself off. Then as he walked past his bedroom he noticed through the crack in the door that his laptop was switched on. So he went in and as he got half way across the floor he could see that Boards was open on it, and he was logged in and he had a bunch of PMs. He was tired though and decided he would see who they were from in the morning. Then he got up. Closed his laptop. Turned around and sitting right there, in the middle of his bed, was his fucking umbrella. He had totally forgot to bring it with him.

• Advertisement

I was thinking of closing my account and coming back as some sexy young one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I considered it, purely so I wouldn't need to have every mod send a big long winded pm reminding me of how many infractions and warnings I have notched up everytime I get a new one. Would like to save them the hassle of reading through my history judging me, so they can just get on with the warning already.

Guess its not only my dance moves that are provocative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Few years ago I was at a beers and was told this story about a boardsie who lived up in really remote part of Donegal. One night, in the lashings of rain, he came home, walked through the back kitchen and up the back stairs to his bathroom to get a towel so he could dry himself off. Then as he walked past his bedroom he noticed through the crack in the door that his laptop was switched on. So he went in and as he got half way across the floor he could see that Boards was open on it, and he was logged in and he had a bunch of PMs. He was tired though and decided he would see who they were from in the morning. Then he got up. Closed his laptop. Turned around and sitting right there, in the middle of his bed, was his fucking umbrella. He had totally forgot to bring it with him.

:confused:
    I don't get it. And before you say it ........................ am not from Gurtahurk, Kilmacrennan or Portnablagh.
    And what had the PMs got to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Reminds me of when I was in college and a bit older than the rest.

One day was out having a smoke and a chat to one of them and he starts telling me I should quit.

So I looked at him and said "How old are you xxx?" and he says "19, why?"

So I said "I've been smoking since you were six years old!"

He gave it over then. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Few years ago, beers, story... 2014? Wtf?

Being permabanned by some remote Donegal mod could be considered a badge of honour in some quarters. I'd say if you send them a PM with a fulsome apology you might have your original account reinstated. Unless you indulged in gratuitous personal abuse, of course...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The rage quits are a bit sad tbh, especially if they re-reg within days! There really should be a 24 hour hiatus when pressing that close account option.

Having said that, the vast, vast majority of us manage without going near the close account button, so barring concerns about privacy and stalking, there doesn't seem a valid reason to do it. I just feel like a change isn't really a reason.

Never get the banned users re-reging, unless they are going to change their behaviour. If you are a dick online you'll still end up banned, because people hate dicks. (Except that Henrietta girl who married Mr. Dick)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Why would ye consider such a drastic raw desparate life wrenchin’ course of action Gugleguy? (in Joe Duffy tone)

- the snark level (a measurement I use like the pollen count) is climbing.
    - threads in the prison forum are funnier than the humour forum and ah forum.
    - if there's a thread about dogs or whatever in the ah forum and the thread goes a wee bit derogative against dogs then it is quickly locked. If it's about a human being there is definitely a better chance of the thread remaining open with a mod warning at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I had somebody from school identify me before in a thread where I stated that I don't make much of an effort keeping in contact with old schoolfriends. I know the guy enough that he wouldn't use anything against me, but it still freaked me out slightly.

Anyway, I don't go out of my way to keep anonymity, but the majority of my posts are completely pointless so it doesn't matter. Like woopsie, I come here for a laugh and not to argue.

Back in your box, noobie nooberson

• Advertisement

And there was a skeleton holding the umbrella :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

bluewolf wrote: »
    And there was a skeleton holding the umbrella :eek:

Maybe the modern can invoke that skeleton against people. Reminds me of Jason and the Argonauts. The artist responsible for this passed away about a year ago or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I might be my own boss, but I have a highly stressful job and Boards.ie is my very own reversal agent that counteracts it. So I don't think I'll ever close my account. But if I ever felt an inkling, I'd probably just wouldn't login and leave it be for awhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

I told myself I'd give it a year. Tick tock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I closed my account and re-reged, shaved 4 years off my age in the process!

Real life got too busy and boards was too much of a distraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

A friend of mine posts on a different site, where she has posted certain personal details. Another poster examined those details, guessed who she is, and all but named her on that site.

So people need to be careful.

From that perspective, I can see why people close account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

People close their accounts because they are not enjoying boards.ie anymore or they don't like the vibe or the culture on boards.ie they do so possibly simply because it is not fun anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Lou.m wrote: »
    People close their accounts because they are not enjoying boards.ie anymore or they don't like the vibe or the culture on boards.ie they do so possibly simply because it is not fun anymore.

I'm starting to think this way myself, I'm finding that I've not been on much at all in the last few weeks, I'm getting a little bored with the fora I would normally post in, and outside of that, theres not much else on boards for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

I had exams to do and kept checking boards. Deleted it for sanity. Now I am back. Sanity gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I deleted myself off about a dozen forums a few weeks ago, usually just become a bit mortified by my post count and the lack of anything quantifiable positives I've gotten. If it's a small forum I get really fed up of the whole group mentality too, I either get caught up in it and go a bit weird (e.g. I'm kind of obsessed with Derek by Ricky Gervais because a forum I was on, for the most part, hates him) or get sick of all the inside jokes that aren't funny.

Think this is my fourth boards.ie profile, prolly got about a week left in it now that I'm back posting heavilyish with a thesis deadline coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

I have been thinking of just closing mine and going to another forum. Fair few folks know me in RL here. -_- And someone started a new account just as I got to them better. Hmmmmmmm

• Advertisement
Advertisement