Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Closing your account. Why?

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

beks101 wrote: »
    I guess that's why I don't get the closing-yer-account shebang. My account has a bit of meaning to me.

I'm obviously bat sh1t crazy, but closing my account would need to have a very very good and deeply considered reason for me, outside of 'meh, sick of Beks101, let's try something new'.
    Magaggie wrote: »
    That doesn't indicate you're bat sh1t crazy at all, just your preference. It's perfectly sensible and logical. I'd imagine loads of people would feel the same as you.

People have privacy, identity reasons for closing their account though - it's not all just to close their account for the sake of it. There can be assumptions made on these threads. People don't have a clue what's going on in other people's lives/heads so they can't know why others close their accounts. Although I'm sure there are people who just close their account because the option is *there* and start again.

My previous account also had meaning to me. My join date was way back in 2006, never had an infraction, never even received an unwanted PM from a mod, lots of posts and had built up a few boards friends, some of whom I am still friends with.
    However, I had posted extremely private information under the cloak of anonymity in a thread in the ladies lounge designed to allow people open up and let things out. When posting I found it very therapeutic just to say things I had never told anybody, even if they never went anywhere. Seeing people thank my posts made me feel supported and as if I had found my voice a little bit. It might sound mad to some people but seeing those thanks under posts of that nature can mean an awful lot in the mind of someone going through some bad stuff.
    Unfortunately when the crazy people figured out who I was and began printing my posts and showing them to people they also printed these extremely private pieces of information.
    It was a nightmare. It kind of still is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

My previous account also had meaning to me. My join date was way back in 2006, never had an infraction, never even received an unwanted PM from a mod, lots of posts and had built up a few boards friends, some of whom I am still friends with.
    However, I had posted extremely private information under the cloak of anonymity in a thread in the ladies lounge designed to allow people open up and let things out. When posting I found it very therapeutic just to say things I had never told anybody, even if they never went anywhere. Seeing people thank my posts made me feel supported and as if I had found my voice a little bit. It might sound mad to some people but seeing those thanks under posts of that nature can mean an awful lot in the mind of someone going through some bad stuff.
    Unfortunately when the crazy people figured out who I was and began printing my posts and showing them to people they also printed these extremely private pieces of information.

Happens more than people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Lou.m wrote: »
    I have been thinking of just closing mine and going to another forum. Fair few folks know me in RL here. -_- And someone started a new account just as I got to them better. Hmmmmmmm
    Happens more than you think. But I only remember the fun when these keyboard warriors have their recalcitrant toddler tantrum moment. They can come back under another username sure, but their old colours become pretty evident fairly soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I used to take it a bit too seriously, lose the rag in an "argument" and batter the account shut, usually after a few sherberts. Lol. Then I'd have a copping on time and re-reg. I popped into the old 'Dome for a giggle, and became annoy-ment proof, almost. I am now highly chilled, both IRL and on Boards. Pretty much nothing bothers me. So, old "The Dome" -twas therapy for angry souls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

gugleguy wrote: »
    Happens more than you think. But I only remember the fun when these keyboard warriors have their recalcitrant toddler tantrum moment. They can come back under another username sure, but their old colours become pretty evident fairly soon.

Not what I meant but anyway :-) yes that is true too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

I used to take it a bit too seriously, lose the rag in an "argument" and batter the account shut, usually after a few sherberts. Lol. Then I'd have a copping on time and re-reg. I popped into the old 'Dome for a giggle, and became annoy-ment proof, almost. I am now highly chilled, both IRL and on Boards. Pretty much nothing bothers me. So, old "The Dome" -twas therapy for angry souls.
    I've watched boardsies loose the rag and end up in boards prison. Site banned. Recently. Won't hint who even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I've watched boardsies loose the rag and end up in boards prison. Site banned. Recently. Won't hint who even.

I never went to the "getting banned" stage, just shut up shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Heh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

:eek::eek::eek: God, sorry that happened to you. That is more than a little mental. What the fcuk is wrong with people??

I've posted some deeply personal stuff on boards in the same way. About my life, my job, breakups, personal struggles etc. TBH it nearly serves as a form of therapy for me.

For the most part I'd come online to try to make sense of something that was happening/happened to me in the 'real world', and I'd be doing it for purely selfish reasons - the need to vent, to try to articulate something that I couldn't make sense of, to try to wrap my head around something by putting it into words under a (relative) cloak of anonymity.

More often than not I've found people agreeing with me, 'thank'-ing me, a few PMs expressing gratitude for posting something they could profoundly identify with - when for me it was borne out of my own selfish needs to just anonymously ramble about something in a place where I wouldn't feel particularly judged because feck it, sure no-one 'knows' me anyway.

That does tend to foster an air of support and encouragement and community among posters I feel. Though jesus, I'd feel more than a little violated if someone with a personal vendetta started using that information against me. Hope you can recover from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I drunkenly think I had over 10,000 posts of drunkedness comments and videos on my previous account, but I got drunk on one saturday night while making love to a bong and had a moment of clarity and then just said that's it, I need to close my account for good.

I never looked back until a few sober days later, after wasting all my stars on a paranoid removal process regarding closed account. Now I'm back to annoy you all with nonsensical ramblings of Aliens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

beks101 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: God, sorry that happened to you. That is more than a little mental. What the fcuk is wrong with people??

I've posted some deeply personal stuff on boards in the same way. About my life, my job, breakups, personal struggles etc. TBH it nearly serves as a form of therapy for me.

For the most part I'd come online to try to make sense of something that was happening/happened to me in the 'real world', and I'd be doing it for purely selfish reasons - the need to vent, to try to articulate something that I couldn't make sense of, to try to wrap my head around something by putting it into words under a (relative) cloak of anonymity.

More often than not I've found people agreeing with me, 'thank'-ing me, a few PMs expressing gratitude for posting something they could profoundly identify with - when for me it was borne out of my own selfish needs to just anonymously ramble about something in a place where I wouldn't feel particularly judged because feck it, sure no-one 'knows' me anyway.

That does tend to foster an air of support and encouragement and community among posters I feel. Though jesus, I'd feel more than a little violated if someone with a personal vendetta started using that information against me. Hope you can recover from that.

I feel the same way about boards. There definitely is a sense of community about the place. It's really reassuring to know that you are not alone in a problem or issue you may be dealing with.

Gawd with the amount of sh*te I post, I could be taken out to dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Gawd with the amount of sh*te I post, I could be taken out to dry.

You do love telling us how much you like pooing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

You do love telling us how much you like pooing.

Well I must be interesting because you have commented on a good few of the threads I had commented on. :pac:

G'way and stop stalking me. :p

Hotfails reply: Yadda yadda yadda, fatty. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Well I must be interesting because you have commented on a good few of the threads I had commented on. :pac:

G'way and stop stalking me. :p

Hotfails reply: Yadda yadda yadda, fatty. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Shup fatty.

Advertisement