Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

upgrading my brakes?

• 20-07-2014 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

Hey Lads,

So the breaks on my vstrom are grand but nothing compared to my old bike.

For a handy enough upgrade is it simply a case of getting HH pads on front and also putting on some form of upgraded brake lines?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

goodlad wrote: »
    Hey Lads,

So the breaks on my vstrom are grand but nothing compared to my old bike.

For a handy enough upgrade is it simply a case of getting HH pads on front and also putting on some form of upgraded brake lines?

in short... try to settle down a little more and wait to see if you can live with them.. you aske me why?

i went through few bikes and i though exactly the same as you.... that some brakes are weak and some stronger... but its all in hands.. and the way you drive.. manufacters are always testing brakes and they woudlnt fit rubish in thems machines...

i went from brembo (aprilia) to standard honda and in the first moment i though wow what a difference.. after few weeks riding i was happy and i "understand" the bike more... i ended up very happy overall.... to be honest..

if you dont wanna have them replaced go for upgraded brake pads and get the steel brake lines... and often simple cleaning of the brake discs and pads are very helpfull, as dirth,grease and mud can decrease the performance by lot..

i say adjust your driving to your brakes... for a while.. if you wont be still happy you have plenty of aftermarket options.. but they aint cheap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Different bikes,different brakes but it's always going to be the first thing you really notice, once you've been on something with 'good' brakes you'll never be happy with another bike until it's as good or near enough - definitely try pads but I'd suggest the lines first as they often make a significant improvement.
    Line swaps are very simple and it's also a good opportunity to give the system a service.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Bikerguy wrote: »
    in short... try to settle down a little more and wait to see if you can live with them.. you aske me why?

i went through few bikes and i though the same at that time.. that some brakes are weak and some stronger... but its all in hands.. and the way you drive.. manufacters are always testing brakes and they woudlnt fit rubish in thems machines...

i went from brembo (aprilia) to standard honda and in the first moment i though the same.. after few weeks riding i was happy and i "understand" the bike more... i ended up very happy overall.... to be honest..

if you dont wanna have them replaced go for upgraded brake pads and get the steel brake lines... and often simple cleaning of the brake discs and pads are very helpfull, as dirth,grease and mud can decrease the performance by lot..

i say adjust your driving to your brakes... for a while.. if you wont be still happy you have plenty of aftermarket options.. but they aint cheap...

Yeah man i just done some searching and see there are mods for the bike to take calipers from other bikes. But as you say, its not cheap.

Twice since ive got the bike i had idiots pull out in front of me and both times it was a fecking handful of the breaks i needed to stop where as on my Sv a slight grab of the front break would of comfortably stopped me.

bladespin wrote: »
    Different bikes,different brakes but it's always going to be the first thing you really notice, once you've been on something with 'good' brakes you'll never be happy with another bike until it's as good or near enough - definitely try pads but I'd suggest the lines first as they often make a significant improvement.
    Line swaps are very simple and it's also a good opportunity to give the system a service.

Yeah man i think i will look online now for a set of upgraded lines.
    I'm not too good on what parts are for what bike but a few sites so let you shop by bike so i will do it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Lines and hh pads generally makes a nice difference

Looking at the Hel lines set. Its 150 for front and back.

Trying to find a discount code for the site.

• Advertisement

Looking at the Hel lines set. Its 150 for front and back.

Trying to find a discount code for the site.

you are throwing some good money on the bike.. alright... :) try degreaser firtst... hh pads... and then Hell... :) may safe you a bit money... :)

you are throwing some good money on the bike.. alright... :) try degreaser firtst... hh pads... and then Hell... :) may safe you a bit money... :)

About to head out to the bike now and whip off the pads and give it all a good clean. Thanks to Mick i have a fooking clue how to do this! haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

About to head out to the bike now and whip off the pads and give it all a good clean. Thanks to Mick i have a fooking clue how to do this! haha

Have you checked the pistons etc. To make sure they are in perfect condition. Could be a case of you just needing new seals and to clean the pistons. I know that doing this HUGELY helped my own a few months ago.

Have you checked the pistons etc. To make sure they are in perfect condition. Could be a case of you just needing new seals and to clean the pistons. I know that doing this HUGELY helped my own a few months ago.

well his V drake is "new" so i really doub there will eb something wrong..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

well his V drake is "new" so i really doub there will eb something wrong..

Ah, I presumed it was used :o

• Advertisement

Everything looks grand with the pistons and pads.
    Gave them a clean anyway.

I will nab some braided lines for front and back and slap a HH pad on the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Goodlad,
    Let me have a spin on your bike and you try mine.
    The braking on the vstrom1000 is not as sharp as other bikes, so dont worry about it too much.
    Double H pads should improve your front braking.
    In the meantime, ride with room to ride away from any danger and you will not have to use your brakes so much.

Goodlad,
    Let me have a spin on your bike and you try mine.
    The braking on the vstrom1000 is not as sharp as other bikes, so dont worry about it too much.
    Double H pads should improve your front braking.
    In the meantime, ride with room to ride away from any danger and you will not have to use your brakes so much.

Cheers man. I ordered some HH pads for the front from Demon Tweaks lastnight. I know how much of a difference they were on the SV so im sure they will help the situation on the vstrom.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I had the same kind thing goodlad, the brakes on my Ducati were phenomenal, the blades are ok but nowhere near as good. I bought Hell brake lines but have not fitted them yet, but as said above I'm kinda used to the brakes now anyway

Zascar wrote: »
    I had the same kind thing goodlad, the brakes on my Ducati were phenomenal, the blades are ok but nowhere near as good. I bought Hell brake lines but have not fitted them yet, but as said above I'm kinda used to the brakes now anyway

Yeah man i have no doubt i will get used to the brakes and adjust riding style accordingly but i have the money there for lines and pads so figured i may aswell get them!

I ordered the Hel lines and asked them to add on 50mm to the hose to accomidate bar risers i may get in the future.
    While i was at it i said i would slap on a clutch cable so they match! hahaha!

Just gotta find out the length of the oem clutch cable and can then get that done too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Dont have to get HELL brake lines Gary, Venhill are just as good and half the price. HH pads will make a difference only need them on the front.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Dont have to get HELL brake lines Gary, Venhill are just as good and half the price. HH pads will make a difference only need them on the front.

Im looking at the line builder on their site at the moment.
    Jeaysus i havent a clue wtf im looking at.

I will whip out some string later and measure the length of the hoses on the bike.

Second and third options on the builder is picking what connector ya need on the cable.. Any ideas?

The likes of Horsepower.ie have generic braided lines in all different colours. Could work out cheaper.....also RPM that you are going over too do them aswell ask them for a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

For a 25% off HEL brake lines enter FULLMETALJACKET on the HEL official website: http://www.helperformance.com/

Should work for any model bike and variation lines. Might even be off any produce/amount haven't tested it

Vikings wrote: »
    For a 25% off HEL brake lines enter FULLMETALJACKET on the HEL official website: http://www.helperformance.com/

Should work for any model bike and variation lines. Might even be off any produce/amount haven't tested it

You legend! Just tried it and it works perfect.
    With that amount of Discount i went ahead and ordered the lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Alfonzito

I have bought brake line from venhill.co.uk and been happy with the result. On older bikes, the OEM lines can break down and develop weak spots. I had an XJ 600 a couple of years ago and I noticed the lines expand when the brakes were applied hard. The braided cables made a real difference.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Oh btw I'm mecanically challenged so was going to get someone else to fit mine - anyone fancy a nixer? Need the brake lines and levers fitted.

Oh btw I'm mecanically challenged so was going to get someone else to fit mine - anyone fancy a nixer? Need the brake lines and levers fitted.

I'm the same man. The chap I bought the bike from will be fitting my brake and clutch cables, exhausts and wiring up the 12volt socket.

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Looks like they have removed the discount box from their site altogether?!! Maybe there was a surge of Irish sales using the discount code so they shut it down, i'll keep my eye see if it comes back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

what's the year / model vstrom ?

the 2 pot calipers were v bad - I did a conversion to a 4 pot nissin system a couple of years back - difference is massive

Its 2010 Strom 1000.
    I've the HH pads and hel lines on the way so will see how that goes

Advertisement