Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog lost appetite

• 20-07-2014 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi,

I have 10 months old male golden retriever. |Now he weighs 30 kg.
    Up until month ago he used to have very good appetite. He was on Royal Canine Maxi junior, and was given recomended daily dosage to his age split in morning and evening. On top of that he was getting 2 pork bones and maybe once a month a can of dog food.
    So about a month ago he lost his appetite - morning portion was only half eaten by evening and most of the time wont eat in evenings. He literaly only eats few bites a day. I tried to starve him for two days ,but he still wouldn't eat.
    I also tried to change dog food - very slowly switched to James Wellbeloved. No luck.
    But if i mix with canned food, he goes mad for it.
    How can i make him eat normal portions of dry food?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If he's anything like mine? He won't - Good luck with that!!

I've given up now. My dog's worse than a cat. He'll refuse food to the point of starvation if he doesn't like it. All I do is get the Burns Penlan Grange and mix a little with his nuts - more nuts than soft food. He laps it up then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

If he likes it mixed with some canned food could you not continue to do that, or mix a few sardines or similar through it. Tinned sardines are great and pretty cheap. I always think just like us humans, dogs should get pleasure from mealtimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Wet food is fine as long as it's good quality eg NatureDiet or Rocco/lukullus from zooplus. You could also try adding some water to the food to see if that encourages him. Just on the pork bones - are they raw bones from a butcher or the prepackaged pet shop/supermarket ones? If they're the packaged ones I'd avoid as cooked bones can splinter - raw bones are much safer. I have 2 GRs and they love their bones lol!

Advertisement