Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill Roar 2014

Options
  • 20-07-2014 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

hi folks.

Doing Achill Roar and have a few q's about the route. I'm guessing its the same route every year so would like to hear from people who have done it at some stage.

Basically what is the deal with the run? is it mostly beach and off road running or are the trails in good condition for running on?

Also what way does the cycle go? Does it go into the sound and turn right or do you turn right after Ted Lavelle's and do the loop up to the sound then?

Doing the long one so I'm a wee bit apprehensive as I have never done anything like this before :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

run is on the beach and then up a part of the hill at the end of the beach.. the beach is solid sand.. not loose stuff.. there are some shallow streams running across the beach to the sea so your going to get wet feet ..
    the run on the longer race goes to the top of the hill and back down..

shorter bike goes towards the sound and turns left and comes back around to keel, longer bike goes into the sound and takes a right then comes up the scenic road .. tees back onto the main road turns left and comes down into keel..

longer cycle is the black and white line

longer run is red line

enjoy.map2011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Thanks woody. Just what I needed to know :)

Is there many from boards doing it this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 averageswim

I have signed up also but no where near as fit as I would like especially after seeing that map of the long course....

Yup. Same as. Its the run that will kill me. I hate running but I will hopefully make up time on the bike. That's if I don't die during the run :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

There is also a Mini course designed for complete newbies/ Tri a tri types/ Other halves, etc.
    We do not encourage any faster folk looking for a handy podium spot in this event so that it is a really friendly and super laid back atmosphere among those participating :eek:

The Mini's 5km run is all on the beach / grass and the 12km cycle is out towards the sound and take 2nd left towards Doogort but then left at tee and back to Keel passing by Pure Magic which a lot of visitors to Achill will know :)

Numbers are well up on last year at the minute and price increase due at end of July (Midnight this Thursday) so best get on board at www.roar.ie before then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Mikeoem

Can I ask a few questions about the Kayak section? I'm hoping to take part in the Sports course (1200m Kayak, 8km run, 22k cycle) I've never Kayaked before. Will they pair you up with someone with experience or how does this work out? Should I go and get one or two lessons prior to the event? Are there always enough kayaks/buoyancy aids available? In the video on their site I seen people running through the water - is this an option instead of swimming or do you still have to swim part i.e does it get too deep to run? Also would you get away without waterproofs in the kayak?
    In the video which is a few years old the timing was the oldfashioned hold your chip to the reader - have they upgraded to the more modern system where you just pass over a mat? Thanks in advance

sit on top kayaks are very very stable, you wont need to be paired with someone with experience or to do lessons beforehand, just sit on and paddle youl do well to fall off
    youl just be put with whoever you get to the kayaks with at the same time..

lessons, no real need from a safety point of view but wont do any harm.. youl learn to turn faster which is no harm, but i wouldnt go out of my way to do them

ive done the race twice and never saw a shortage of kayaks or life jackets, the race goes off in waves i think to accomodate this,
    no need for waterproofs, your just gonna get wet , sure youl get wet getting into and out of it as well as getting splashed

people running are probably just running in after finishing swimming, i think that lake is deep enough so wouldnt be an option and wouldnt it be awfully slow and hugely tiring ?

dibbers tend to be used instead of mats at most adventure races, that said i havent done achill in a few years so i couldnt tell you if their still using them..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mikeoem

Thanks Woody1 for the very comprehensive answer

woody1 wrote: »
    sit on top kayaks are very very stable, you wont need to be paired with someone with experience or to do lessons beforehand, just sit on and paddle youl do well to fall off
    youl just be put with whoever you get to the kayaks with at the same time..

lessons, no real need from a safety point of view but wont do any harm.. youl learn to turn faster which is no harm, but i wouldnt go out of my way to do them

ive done the race twice and never saw a shortage of kayaks or life jackets, the race goes off in waves i think to accomodate this,
    no need for waterproofs, your just gonna get wet , sure youl get wet getting into and out of it as well as getting splashed

people running are probably just running in after finishing swimming, i think that lake is deep enough so wouldnt be an option and wouldnt it be awfully slow and hugely tiring ?

dibbers tend to be used instead of mats at most adventure races, that said i havent done achill in a few years so i couldn't tell you if their still using them..

As Woody says, Kayaks are straightforward sit on top types that are very stable.
    If you want to be competitive line up someone good to paddle with you before you start or bring your own fast single boat if you have the skills to handle one.

Entry and exit to swim leg is shallow for maybe 60+m so that is what you see in the pics.

The traditional SI "dibber" is generally used to give the splits to the top of a mountain for instance whilst the Tri type chip on ankle is more suited to the in / out of transition type event.

In the past we have used both in Achill and both have their own merits and slight disadvantages.

In 2014 Red Tag are introducing their new system designed for adventure race style events which allows more splits in far out of the way places but should be a bit less intrusive to competitors than the "finger in the wee hole" system traditionally used.

Any more Q's let me know and will do our best to answer them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Could any give me advice on what people generally wear when doing the swimming part? Do you change afterwards or just dry out during the run?

• Advertisement

Could any give me advice on what people generally wear when doing the swimming part? Do you change afterwards or just dry out during the run?

A few will change after the swim but this is the exception rather than the rule.
    Most use the same clothes on lower body certainly for the whole race and just let them dry out on the run.

The more serious and experiences sorts will have tri shorts or suits.

Others use swimming trunks or running shorts esp if doing one of the shorter events when chaffing on the bike is less likely.

A few will use bike shorts but when wet these can be "nappy" like when running before they dry out.

We don't have any "No bare tops " or similar rules in Achill as this is a seaside venue and we like to blend in though pinning a number to a bare chest might be difficult ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Would you recommend a wetsuit or a tri suit or would the water be warm enough to get away without either ?

Would you recommend a wetsuit or a tri suit or would the water be warm enough to get away without either ?

Not sure what you plan for "Without either" is but you definitely need to wear something to remain "dacent"

If you are doing Expert then def use wetsuit.
    If sport or particularly mini then harder question to answer.

All depends on whether you are used to swimming in cool water without one and how long you plan to be in the water.

Wet suit = extra buoyancy esp in fresh water like the lake is :)

Large majority usually use wetsuits so that should tell you something.

If in doubt - get the wetsuit out would be my advice but everyone should make their own choice based on their personal strengths and weaknesses :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'm far too easily persuaded!! In for the Expert :D

I'll keep this race report a little shorter than my Beast series.

and after all the prep I'm out. have to go for hernia op tomorrow morning :rolleyes: always next year I spose :)

_DMac_ wrote: »
    and after all the prep I'm out. have to go for hernia op tomorrow morning :rolleyes: always next year I spose :)

Oh that's rough. Sorry to hear that.

_DMac_ wrote: »

Ouch - will you be recovered in time for the party ;)?

Drop us a mail at info@outfront.ie if you get someone to take your place and will do a name change FOC tho numbers being printed with you names so might have to "obscure" that for your stand in!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

€75 is a fair oul whack for a race, what are the prizes?

Green&Red wrote: »

Tell you Sunday when I pick up mine ;)

you need to get in early for these races to avoid the lunatic prices when it gets close to closing time..
    i was thinking about doing it but 75 quid put me off.. aside from that its a good race and well run,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Macgio

woody1 wrote: »
    you need to get in early for these races to avoid the lunatic prices when it gets close to closing time..
    i was thinking about doing it but 75 quid put me off.. aside from that its a good race and well run,

Was looking at this race as will be there over weekend but €75 price tag is a bit much. Take the point re getting in early but sometimes hard to plan that far in advance. In moving the entry closing time it appears that they are trying to attract additional entrants but price is OTT for me. Fantastic location; if weather holds up should be enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

Anyone got a ticket they want to move on?. I'm in two minds about going, a rightly priced ticket might sway me.

Excuseless, any answer to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

The bould excuseless is well able to answer for himself but sure this is a discussion forum after all.

This race was available for much less than the €75 you are quoting now. You just needed to plan ahead. Conern about not knowing whether you would be fit or not that far in advance shouldn't be too much of an issue as the organiser is allowing name swaps.

The higher price now is a standard model. Try flying Ryanair anywhere tomorrow.

It's a good race in a stunning location. Enjoy. I'll be back again next year hopefully.

If you want to have any chance of the win get out on the bike ahead of Dessie:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Not fit so just out to enjoy this race. Never been to Achill so novelty factor. Swim would be my racing option but since its fun with AKW there is an opportunity to get some Kayak practice.

Best of luck to all racing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

It's a superb race. The first mountain run is incredible. Essentially running up a cliff. Stunning views, feels like your in the middle of the Atlantic.

The bike is tough, worth trying to work with someone on the bike. You do get some of the best views in Ireland for your trouble.

Party is good craic afterwards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JayCee001

If you're asking that you mustn't have done any of these one day races around the country. No it's not cheap but there are options to get in cheaper, you get a lot for the price (not just a race) and Outfront's events are really well run (not the case for all). It being Ireland I'm sure the costs are mental.

Looking forward to tomorrow. Going to be a great day out in a great location.

JayCee001 wrote: »
    If you're asking that you mustn't have done any of these one day races around the country. No it's not cheap but there are options to get in cheaper, you get a lot for the price (not just a race) and Outfront's events are really well run (not the case for all). It being Ireland I'm sure the costs are mental.

Looking forward to tomorrow. Going to be a great day out in a great location.

It was a genuine question, I'm guessing by the lack of reply its f**k all?

It being Ireland isn't really an excuse

This was my issue with Gaelforce, when it started it was unbelievable, I did it first in '06 I think it was well run, decent goodie bag, food after at a reasonable price. I think two years after it was taken over by the current crowd and money became the main driver.
    When you look at how Hell of the West and say DCT are run it shows that you can still turn over a nice profit, run a great race for large numbers and still look after the punters.

I'm sure Roar is a great event, its in a class part of the country, I should know but I think you can run a great event and not ride people

Anyway, rant over, I'm just contrary this morning

Dear Green & Red.

My lack of response was just that I don't really feel that we need to go through the same old justification of price, tiered increases, etc but you have somewhat goaded me into a response at a time when I really have better things to do in preparing for tomorrows event in Achill.

I am not in the biz of ripping anyone off!
    We give a clearly stated price which is the price you pay:-
    We don't have add on for booking or c card fees - we absorb that cost
    We pay vat on all entries - we don't go under the club, charity or not for profit banners of convenience

Others here have give their opinions of the race, how it is run and how it compares price wise and standard of what to expect etc.

ROAR has plenty of entrants who were on the ball, put their money down and got in for as little as €50 or, in the case of the "Achill All Stars" they got entered for €40 each as they were a large group entering last Dec.

IF you want to leave it until the last min to make up your mind then you pay more - This is a simple model to encourage and reward those that enter early and to allow an event organiser to plan and cater for expected numbers.

We offer a "no problem" name transfer FOC policy

IMHO, we provide a well run race, pay all marshals, give a decent hoodie, buff etc that folk will hopefully find useful.

For the record our prizes are pottery, Amphibian King vouchers and race entry vouchers.
    Prizes for the winning few is not a reflection on how the race caters for the common entrant.

With all due respect, I have being competing in all types of Adv Race in Ireland and abroad for the past 10+ years and I believe I know what folk want and value in an event.

The reason I am in this biz is that I felt there was the need for some events that were well run by Irish based folk and were value for money and this is what I strive to do under the Outfront Event banner.

As with all events, if you are not happy with the price or any aspect of the event then vote with your feet but please base your publicly stated opinions on fact and don't accuse genuine organisers as I believe I am, of ripping folk off!

Nuff said - I have a race to organised and will leave the keyboard warriors to slug it out.

For those interested, the Race Formguide is now available HERE.

With almost all of the country's top adv racers ( PeterX unfortunately not making it) coming along this w/e it promises to be a super event.

Free race entry for 2015 for whoever has the best top 10 prediction posted here by 10.00 tomorrow morning.

Off to mark the mountain I must go :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

When you look at how Hell of the West and say DCT are run it shows that you can still turn over a nice profit, run a great race for large numbers and still look after the punters.

Is that comparing like with like? Don't DCT and HOTW have superior sponsor support to allow them to run their events at that level? Not to mention that both are club events that can pull in the members like your good self to marshall and deface roads and paths with some sh1te about Mayo

Advertisement