Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill Roar 2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

i fully understand the carrot and stick approach,and the reasons for doing it,
    i just happen to think the stick is too big ! and discourages last minute people...
    not sure how you could do anything to change it though..

i thought i had the weekend free , turns out i dont, so doesnt make huge difference to me anyway

as i said before , good race,well run, will hopefully get back to it next year ..
    all the best to all competing.. enjoy it,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Excuseless wrote: »
    Dear Green & Red.

My lack of response was just that I don't really feel that we need to go through the same old justification of price, tiered increases, etc but you have somewhat goaded me into a response at a time when I really have better things to do in preparing for tomorrows event in Achill.

I am not in the biz of ripping anyone off!
    We give a clearly stated price which is the price you pay:-
    We don't have add on for booking or c card fees - we absorb that cost
    We pay vat on all entries - we don't go under the club, charity or not for profit banners of convenience

Others here have give their opinions of the race, how it is run and how it compares price wise and standard of what to expect etc.

ROAR has plenty of entrants who were on the ball, put their money down and got in for as little as €50 or, in the case of the "Achill All Stars" they got entered for €40 each as they were a large group entering last Dec.

IF you want to leave it until the last min to make up your mind then you pay more - This is a simple model to encourage and reward those that enter early and to allow an event organiser to plan and cater for expected numbers.

We offer a "no problem" name transfer FOC policy

IMHO, we provide a well run race, pay all marshals, give a decent hoodie, buff etc that folk will hopefully find useful.

For the record our prizes are pottery, Amphibian King vouchers and race entry vouchers.
    Prizes for the winning few is not a reflection on how the race caters for the common entrant.

With all due respect, I have being competing in all types of Adv Race in Ireland and abroad for the past 10+ years and I believe I know what folk want and value in an event.

The reason I am in this biz is that I felt there was the need for some events that were well run by Irish based folk and were value for money and this is what I strive to do under the Outfront Event banner.

As with all events, if you are not happy with the price or any aspect of the event then vote with your feet but please base your publicly stated opinions on fact and don't accuse genuine organisers as I believe I am, of ripping folk off!

Nuff said - I have a race to organised and will leave the keyboard warriors to slug it out.

For those interested, the Race Formguide is now available HERE.

With almost all of the country's top adv racers ( PeterX unfortunately not making it) coming along this w/e it promises to be a super event.

Free race entry for 2015 for whoever has the best top 10 prediction posted here by 10.00 tomorrow morning.

Off to mark the mountain I must go :)

Thanks for the response, like I said I'm sure its a great race.
    €75 is a lot of money for a race

As it turns out I'll be able to make my own judgement on it after signing up on Monday after some Dublin friends told me they were coming down and goaded me into going, so far from being a keyboard warrior I'm commenting on something that involves me.

Best of luck with the race

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good race in a beautiful location. The run along the beach fun, the run along the cliff amazing. Tougher bike than the HOTW!

The form guide had a joke in it :D. Last time I was fit was 2012!! But I will return!

Myself an AKW sauntered around together after a decent Kayak. Looking back to watch him taking the mick rolling down the steep thick heather, I managed to sprain my ankle. Couldn't move it for a few mins and because I heard a pop the Marshall had me do a few little exercises with it before letting me go on. Top man and the marshalls in general were brill. The next 2 hours were probably not my best idea but finished it out with AKW. Both of us long short of fuel. I gorged on the spread. The fruitcake was amazing. Cool hoody too take home.

Would I do it again? Yes! But I'll enter early ;)

Well done Excuseless on organising a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

ray o wrote: »
    Is that comparing like with like? Don't DCT and HOTW have superior sponsor support to allow them to run their events at that level?[/SIZE]

Yes they do. But they are hard earned after 20 odd years of putting on a consistently great race and hosting the national champs too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The form guide had two jokes in it :D. Last time I was fit was 2012!! But I will return!

Well done Excuseless on organising a great event.

FYP and +1, well done on a cracking and tough event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Can't believe I kept this report to one page.

Great event, will be back next year.

Advertisement