Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting board needed for boot-mounted cycle carrier?

Options
  • 20-07-2014 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a boot-mounted bike carrier for the car. The bikes are too heavy to put on a roofrack mounted one. I'd think the bikes would obscure the number plate at least partially.

Those of youse that have boot-mounted cycle carriers - do you use lighting boards (you know, the board with the number plate & the extra set of tail lights, hung on the bikes)? Do people get nicked for not having them? Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Get one.
    For your peace of mind and so that everyone behind you knows where your turning and braking.
    If your heading to the continent it's a must!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

If you don't already have a tow hitch on the car, you won't have a light socket either. You can fit just the light socket but if you already have a tow hitch, get a tow hitch carrier rather than the strap on type.

+1 on getting the board. You probably won't get done for an obscured number plate here but will abroad. In any case, you want your rear lights to be visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Yep, I recommend getting this. I have a hitch mounted carrier with the lighting board. My dad rigged up the lights on it, but I think any decent garage should be able to set it up for you. Worth the hassle IMHO!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Thanks all. I think I'll leave it a little while to see how much we get into cycling - and if I get one I'll do it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

If you wanna try one out I have one that I am not currently using and you are somewhere close to North County Dublin you are welcome to try it.
    Having said that they arent that expensive in the Motor Factors!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

bcmf wrote: »
    If you wanna try one out I have one that I am not currently using and you are somewhere close to North County Dublin you are welcome to try it.
    Having said that they arent that expensive in the Motor Factors!
    Thanks vm @bcmf - however my brother-in-law has one that I'll be trying.

Advertisement