Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need an alternative to Advantage for cat?

• 20-07-2014 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

I use Advantage on our cats but one of them really hates it and I'm not sure if it hurts him or if it's just that he hates having it done. I'm putting their Advantage on next week and I'd like to try something different on him and see how he reacts. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Comfortis beef-flavoured tablet? Haven't tried it with my own cats yet but we have ferals eating them with gusto. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

boomerang wrote: »
    Comfortis beef-flavoured tablet? Haven't tried it with my own cats yet but we have ferals eating them with gusto. :)

I hadn't heard of comfortis , but it sounds good. Think I may try it on mine next time.

I use Johnson' s 4 fleas, they have a tablet that kills fleas and a spot on that prevents fleas from reproduction for 3 months. I had tried advantage about 6 years ago when my cat had fleas, but I found it was only effective for about a week

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Comfortis is also excellent at killing harvest and ear mites (can't remember off the top of my head if it's licensed to... but it does!). This warm summer is surely going to be another year for armies of damn harvest mites :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Can the Comfortis be bought online without prescription?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Can the Comfortis be bought online without prescription?
    According to vetuk.co.uk they are prescription only and that's confirmed by the other sites I've used.

• Advertisement

Prescription only, pumpkinseeds. If your own vets don't stock it, they can give you a written Px so you can buy it at another vets. Or, you can ask them if they would order it in for you. John O' Dwyer and MidWest vets both carry Comfortis. :)

Didn't know that DBB that it's effective against ear mites - would be a GODSEND for feral cats as there's currently no oral treatment for earmites. :( Must look into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Prescription only, pumpkinseeds. If your own vets don't stock it, they can give you a written Px so you can buy it at another vets. Or, you can ask them if they would order it in for you. John O' Dwyer and MidWest vets both carry Comfortis. :)

Didn't know that DBB that it's effective against ear mites - would be a GODSEND for feral cats as there's currently no oral treatment for earmites. :( Must look into it!

Thanks for that Boomerang, I'll be getting the Advantage for the others on Wednesday so I'll check with our vets.

DBB, I went googling immediately as you can imagine - an oral treatment for earmites is the holy grail!

Unfortunately I'd say you're thinking of trifexis, which is a combo of spinosad (ingredient in Comfortis) and milbemycin oxime. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

DBB, I went googling immediately as you can imagine - an oral treatment for earmites is the holy grail!

Unfortunately I'd say you're thinking of trifexis, which is a combo of spinosad (ingredient in Comfortis) and milbemycin oxime. :(

No, we definitely used Comfortis last year in the heighth of harvest mite season on a number of dogs, it seemed to work a treat. My vet had recommended it, though did point out at the time that it's not licensed for mites :-)

Advertisement